mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > Software

Old 2003-03-13, 15:11   #1
Reboot It

Aug 2002
London, UK

7×13 Posts
Default Client Enhancement Suggestion(s)

George:

I know you do an amazing job in constantly improving the client (for which we are all grateful), but at least in part because of your hard work I would like to suggest an area for enhancement. Because there is a new version or sub-version it seems every few weeks, it can play havoc with those of us that administer large numbers of machines running the client and want to keep them up-to-date, and I would like to suggest we could perhaps improve the area of automating (or at least assisting) the rollout of upgrades to client PCs.

One of the issues I (and I expect others) face in the quest for automated updates is the need to halt the client before the new version of the client file can replace the old version. I would suggest a new feature where the running client periodically (once per hour, or once even per day) checks for the existence of a new version of the client in its home directory and, if it finds one, stops, somehow updates itself with the new version and then resumes running. A feature of this would be the need to accomodate the use of a different filename from the usual name. I (in common with at least some other users) do not run the file as "PRIME95.EXE" but as "somethingelse.EXE", so I would suggest that the client might look for a file with the same filename as its own but with a different extension, such as .NEW, and use that to perform the update.

This would then allow administrators such as me simply to arrange for the new client (appropriately renamed) to be copied into the working directory and then let the client handle the update itself. Is this feasible? Easy? Could it be adapted? Does anyone have any comments?
Reboot It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-03-16, 21:05   #2
Ian_H

Aug 2002
Europe

2×3×5 Posts
Default Re: Client Enhancement Suggestion(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reboot It
I would suggest a new feature where the running client periodically (once per hour, or once even per day) checks for the existence of a new version [...]
I like the idea and can see several situations where it would be of use. But, realistically, once every week would probably be enough.
Ian_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-03-16, 23:53   #3
trif

Aug 2002

2×101 Posts

For my purposes, two things would make the client perfect. One would be using the d.net "lurkonly" style for checking in with a dialup machine. The other would be automatic rollover/truncation/deletion of the prime.log file, because on many borgs nobody who knows how to delete the prime.log file has access to the machine regularly.
trif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-03-17, 07:09   #4
Paulie

Aug 2002

223 Posts

I don't think an auto-restart feature would be wise.

You have a program that goes in a standard install location, that has no way of checking the validity of a program before doing the "NOHUP" bounce of the process. So a cracker/script kiddie could write a code to copy say a clone of the prime95 interface then put an FTP server on your machine, or a keyboard logger, or worse. Unless there was a way to "certify" the replacement executable, it's just too potentially dangerous. Even making it an optional setting wouldn't help, because the settings for prime95 are in text files in a known location. You may be able to get around this by installing in a different directory, but the cost may not be worth it.

If a borg goes wild, you either kill it or just let it go. :)
Paulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-03-17, 08:12   #5
Jim

Feb 2003

32 Posts

If your using a type of linux you can truncate the log file with a small script run from the cron table
Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-03-18, 03:53   #6
crash893

Sep 2002

23·37 Posts

mabey some option in the client its self to track your team keep a log or graph of team position once a day or something like that

would make it a little more intresting to follow mabey up the compotition some and thats always a good thing

also not really a enhancement but mabey submit it to a couple places like zdent and download.com and such for free download

if you get it out there mabey more people will help out
crash893 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-03-21, 14:51   #7
Reboot It

Aug 2002
London, UK

7·13 Posts

George:

Any chance of a comment on these suggestions?
Reboot It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-03-21, 20:52   #8
Prime95
P90 years forever!

Aug 2002
Yeehaw, FL

11011111101102 Posts

Two comments:

1) In my opinion, auto-updating is not a high priority item. Prime95 releases are rather rare (unless you like to load all the beta releases).
Also, most releases are not mandatory. If you don't own a P4, then version 19 is about as fast as version 22.
2) This feature is very controversial. Several have commented they would quit GIMPS rather than installing a client with this feature. Clearly, if implemented we'd need to offer two versions - one with and one without the feature.
Prime95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-03-21, 22:05   #9
lycorn

Sep 2002
Oeiras, Portugal

24·89 Posts

Quote:
2) This feature is very controversial.
Which one?
lycorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-03-21, 23:35   #10
Prime95
P90 years forever!

Aug 2002
Yeehaw, FL

1BF616 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycorn
Quote:
2) This feature is very controversial.
Which one?
Auto-updating the executable.
Prime95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-03-22, 00:56   #11
crash893

Sep 2002

12816 Posts

mabey something that would just pop up a dialog box saying a new version was avalable with a linke the the website

but not do it on its own

another thing is mabey a easyier way for prime to start and stop at certian times

the last suggestion is not really a true enhancement but
i personaly think that we would get alot more people perticipating if prime gave them back a little bit more information

it sounds stupid but ive seen people leave prime to do seti and folding just becuase of colorfull graphs and crap like that

i personaly woudnt care either way but we may be able to pull in a wider audiance if we had a graphical version and a lite version for the hardcore people
crash893 is offline   Reply With Quote