mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > New To GIMPS? Start Here! > Information & Answers

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2020-10-21, 02:35   #1
tottenhoff
 
"Steven Tottenhoff"
Jan 2020
Hilton Head, SC. USA

210 Posts
Default work distribution question

I have plenty of bandwidth and am willing to set up a computer with a 1TB nvme drive to run workers with up to 250Gb of temporary space per worker or more. I can then run Cert work or Proof work would probably we better. Need help with settings.

Looking for someone that knows a lot about how much work is out there that needs to be done.

It feels like there is a lack of LL numbers that need to be tested. I'm no expert but am guessing that more P-1 and PRP work needs to be done to find proper candidates to then be LL checked. TF seems to be more than taken care of for the 100m's.

Looking for guidance to be of help where it is most needed.
tottenhoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-21, 03:33   #2
moebius
 
moebius's Avatar
 
Jul 2009
Germany

461 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tottenhoff View Post
It feels like there is a lack of LL numbers that need to be tested. I'm no expert but am guessing that more P-1 and PRP work needs to be done to find proper candidates to then be LL checked.
If I were to find a single proper candidate for an LL test at the wavefront with a PRP test, I would be satisfied. In the interest of the project, I can recommend that you no longer do first time LL tests, if you can do PRP-tests with proofs (Prime95 30.3 build 6, gpuowl 6-11-364 and higher).The usual lengthy LL double checks will then be obsolete in the future.LL DC's still make sense of course till this.

Last fiddled with by moebius on 2020-10-21 at 04:02
moebius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-11-01, 12:47   #3
piforbreakfast
 
Oct 2020
Terre Haute, IN

1011102 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by moebius View Post
If I were to find a single proper candidate for an LL test at the wavefront with a PRP test, I would be satisfied. In the interest of the project, I can recommend that you no longer do first time LL tests, if you can do PRP-tests with proofs (Prime95 30.3 build 6, gpuowl 6-11-364 and higher).The usual lengthy LL double checks will then be obsolete in the future.LL DC's still make sense of course till this.
With this in mind, I have an LL test which at the moment is less than 10 percent complete but it auto-assigned and auto-started on my computer after the previous job was finished. Should I go ahead and cancel the current LL test I have running and just continue the PRP test I have running right now?
piforbreakfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-11-01, 13:37   #4
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502
 
Uncwilly's Avatar
 
"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

22·3·5·149 Posts
Default

Is your number a First Time Check or a Double Check? If it is up above 93M it is a FTC. If it is in the 5xM it is a DC.
If it is a FTC, change it over to PRP. You will save the project that ~85% (90 - 5 the Cert overhead and cert run).
You can keep the assignment and just change the entry in the worktodo.txt file.
Uncwilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-11-01, 13:41   #5
piforbreakfast
 
Oct 2020
Terre Haute, IN

2·23 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncwilly View Post
Is your number a First Time Check or a Double Check? If it is up above 93M it is a FTC. If it is in the 5xM it is a DC.
If it is a FTC, change it over to PRP. You will save the project that ~85% (90 - 5 the Cert overhead and cert run).
You can keep the assignment and just change the entry in the worktodo.txt file.
I'm not sure if the LL is first time or double-check. I have a PRP test running for the second worker, and with my processor speed it is blazing through the test at about .222 milliseconds per iteration. It looks like it's blazing through 10,000 iterations every three seconds or so.
piforbreakfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-11-01, 14:01   #6
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502
 
Uncwilly's Avatar
 
"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

22·3·5·149 Posts
Default

What is the exponent (you can leave of the last 6 digits and just put an M there.
Uncwilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-11-01, 15:26   #7
piforbreakfast
 
Oct 2020
Terre Haute, IN

2×23 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncwilly View Post
What is the exponent (you can leave of the last 6 digits and just put an M there.
10MMMMMM

EDIT: Could this just be the number of iterations instead of the exponent? The header at the top of the window says M106xxxxxx/852xxxxxxxxxxxx (a nine-digit number followed after the slashmark by a 15-digit number).

Last fiddled with by piforbreakfast on 2020-11-01 at 15:43
piforbreakfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-11-01, 15:41   #8
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502
 
Uncwilly's Avatar
 
"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

22×3×5×149 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by piforbreakfast View Post
10MMMMMM
There are no LL's being handed out in the 10,000,000 range. I think you mean 100,000,000. That would make it a first time check. You can convert it to a PRP.
Change the worktodo line from
TEST=[Assignment ID],[exponent],[bit level,1]
to
PRP=[Assignment ID],1,2,[exponent],-1,[bit level,1]
Uncwilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-11-01, 15:47   #9
piforbreakfast
 
Oct 2020
Terre Haute, IN

2·23 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncwilly View Post
There are no LL's being handed out in the 10,000,000 range. I think you mean 100,000,000. That would make it a first time check. You can convert it to a PRP.
Change the worktodo line from
TEST=[Assignment ID],[exponent],[bit level,1]
to
PRP=[Assignment ID],1,2,[exponent],-1,[bit level,1]
I already stopped the LL and I've been running PRP for the past couple hours.
piforbreakfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-11-01, 15:50   #10
piforbreakfast
 
Oct 2020
Terre Haute, IN

2·23 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncwilly View Post
There are no LL's being handed out in the 10,000,000 range. I think you mean 100,000,000. That would make it a first time check. You can convert it to a PRP.
Change the worktodo line from
TEST=[Assignment ID],[exponent],[bit level,1]
to
PRP=[Assignment ID],1,2,[exponent],-1,[bit level,1]
I'm confused now because the number following the PRP header is the letter M followed by eight digits. It clearly says PRP.
piforbreakfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-11-01, 15:53   #11
piforbreakfast
 
Oct 2020
Terre Haute, IN

2E16 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by piforbreakfast View Post
I'm confused now because the number following the PRP header is the letter M followed by eight digits. It clearly says PRP.
How can I tell if it's a double-check? It doesn't say DC in the header.
piforbreakfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Work Assignment Question Fred PrimeNet 4 2016-04-23 21:47
question about manual checkin of work dann corbit Information & Answers 2 2012-08-21 03:23
dumb question - getting multiple processors to work together? ixfd64 Hardware 4 2005-11-26 00:33
QUestion about work to do JuanTutors PrimeNet 3 2005-10-26 03:08
Queued-up work question PhilF Software 7 2005-03-05 08:00

All times are UTC. The time now is 02:51.

Fri Dec 4 02:51:10 UTC 2020 up 23:02, 0 users, load averages: 2.27, 1.89, 1.58

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum has received and complied with 0 (zero) government requests for information.

Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.2 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation.
A copy of the license is included in the FAQ.