mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Fun Stuff > Lounge

Old 2020-11-06, 13:20   #1
piforbreakfast

Oct 2020
Terre Haute, IN

478 Posts
Default The GIMPS Facebook page

I just pulled up the GIMPS page on Facebook and it looks like not much activity is happening there.

https://www.facebook.com/GIMPSearch

Maybe I'm a little biased/obsessed since I took the plunge and bought a high-end computer strictly for GIMPS activity, but I wonder what could be done to use the Facebook page to drum up more awareness of what GIMPS participants are doing and try to get more math- and computer-minded people involved in the prime number search. Maybe in my mind I'm overestimating the amount of potential interest in this endeavor, but I could see the FB page becoming a great PR tool. What do you guys think?
piforbreakfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-11-06, 13:32   #2
retina
Undefined

"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

5,879 Posts

All the activity is happening on this board, not on Facebook.

I don't like the monoculture that is starting to happen. Put everything on Facebook and abandon all other places. That sounds like path to disaster to me.

Also see this brilliant comic that sums it up nicely.
https://theoatmeal.com/comics/reaching_people
retina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-11-06, 13:43   #3
piforbreakfast

Oct 2020
Terre Haute, IN

3910 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retina View Post

I don't like the monoculture that is starting to happen. Put everything on Facebook and abandon all other places. That sounds like path to disaster to me.

I wasn't seeing this board and Facebook as being mutually exclusive for the purpose of promoting GIMPS, but yeah, Facebook does tend to create a territorial mindset among many of its visitors.

I love The Oatmeal.
Old 2020-11-06, 13:50   #4
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101Γ—103 Posts

212628 Posts

What sort of things do you want to see on it? Be specific.
Uncwilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-11-06, 13:55   #5
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

73238 Posts

Quote:
I agree on monoculture being bad. Just look at the folks who get all their (dis)information from Facebook, Twitter, Faux News, and Rush. Bunch of brainwashed sheeple.

Back in the day, before the World Wide Web, the Usenet was a big thing. There were "newsgroups" about all sorts of things. Three "classes" of groups were sci.xxx (e.g. sci.math), rec.xxx (e.g. rec.gardening), and alt.xxx (e.g. alt.flame.niggers).

The alt.xxx newsgroups were the sewer. But at least everybody knew they were the sewer. If they wanted the real deal, they could go to sci.xxx and rec.xxx groups.

Now, from what I have seen, the "social media" have everything flowing through one set of pipes, and many of their denizens have no idea that what they're drinking from is a sewer, and what they're swimming in is a cesspool. And they don't care.
Dr Sardonicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-11-06, 17:05   #6
M344587487

"Composite as Heck"
Oct 2017

2BA16 Posts

There is this forum for GIMPS and reddit for everything else, other places for discourse are typically the worst but the Phoronix forums are entertaining to read if you don't mind wading through fanboy nonsense for seemingly every subject (hardware/software/company/FOSS/Propietary you name it). IRC has been largely replaced by discord which is a big loss. The GIMPS subreddit is a little limp putting it mildly.
M344587487 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-11-06, 17:11   #7
storm5510
Random Account

Aug 2009
U.S.A.

22·421 Posts

Quote:

I don't like the mono-culture that is starting to happen. Put everything on Facebook and abandon all other places...
Agreed!

I use it to keep up with relatives and past schoolmates. If they were elsewhere, that is where I would be. People in my age group stay out of the constant fray.

Facebook is loaded with illiterate, uneducated, irresponsible, and hypersensitive personalities. They write what they want regardless of who or what it may harm. They simply do not care. These last three days have been a free-for-all. Every swear-word known to mankind is flowing there like water over Niagara Falls.

IMHO, there is no need to fret about the GIMPS page. It will not get any traction there. The vast majority of those people could not read an analog clock, so how could they understand any of this? They cannot, and do not care to.
storm5510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-11-06, 19:03   #8
xilman
Bamboozled!

"π’‰Ίπ’ŒŒπ’‡·π’†·π’€­"
May 2003
Down not across

100111110100102 Posts

Quote:

Do you approve that "All the activity is happening on this board"?
xilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-11-06, 22:47   #9
retina
Undefined

"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

16F716 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xilman View Post
Do you approve that "All the activity is happening on this board"?
Yup. It's better than being lost in the sea of that Facebook is.

Narrow focus. Part of the small web.
retina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-11-07, 06:13   #10
piforbreakfast

Oct 2020
Terre Haute, IN

2716 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by storm5510 View Post
The vast majority of those people could not read an analog clock, so how could they understand any of this?
This line made me spew my coffee.
Old 2020-11-07, 09:38   #11
xilman
Bamboozled!

"π’‰Ίπ’ŒŒπ’‡·π’†·π’€­"
May 2003
Down not across

2·3·1,699 Posts

Quote:
Yup. It's better than being lost in the sea of that Facebook is.

Narrow focus. Part of the small web.
You mean that you actually go to Fakebook or are you just relying on hearsay?

I have not been over there in many years.

Last fiddled with by xilman on 2020-11-07 at 09:39
xilman is offline   Reply With Quote