mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Extra Stuff > Blogorrhea > jasong

Old 2014-12-11, 16:03   #1
jasong

"Jason Goatcher"
Mar 2005

66618 Posts
Default Torrent client that resists leechers?

I'm not sure if this topic is allowed on here, and I'd definitely encourage people to NOT talk about illegal downloads.

But the question I have is is there a torrent client that's reasonably easy to use and can resist leeching with the right settings? I'm not afraid of command line or manuals, but I'm hoping for something that can be used immediately and maybe tweaked later.

My main interest is resisting leechers, by not uploading to them. I've heard of a program, I forget the last name but it had tyrant in the title. I looked it up, but the main page had an update date of 2006 and might have been discontinued. It's the only program I could find that obviously resisted leechers.

Lastly, it would be nice if I could transfer my settings over and have the new program be aware of the torrents I already have.

Thanks in advance.
jasong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-11, 19:35   #2
Mark Rose

"/X\(‘-‘)/X\"
Jan 2013

1011011000102 Posts

My strategy is to upload as much as possible, to leech or not, especially if the swarm doesn't have many seeds. By using my bandwidth to saturate a leech's download bandwidth, that leech is taking less from the seeds, allowing the seeds to send more to other hopefully more cooperative nodes. This strategy applies regardless of upload bandwidth, though it's pretty rare for me to join a swarm that can saturate my upload bandwidth.

If you are the initial seeder, your BitTorrent client can watch the swarm to see which chunks start appearing elsewhere and know that the clients those chunks were initially sent to are cooperative. This strategy is called super seeding. Many (most?) clients support this.
Mark Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-12, 03:02   #3
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter

Jun 2011
Thailand

22×7×11×29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Rose View Post
My strategy ...
+1 Additionally, this will help surviving of good torrents, especially if you limit the uploading band "selective". I don't limit my uploading bandwidth for good torrents, but limit it for others (I know this is subjective). Some of my friends won't agree, or will do viceversa ("fill the bad guys with crap!", and honestly, there is a lot if it) but I am a bit selfish and think to myself in the future, I will want to find those good torrents still there, if I look for them after 10 or 20 years.
LaurV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-12, 06:44   #4
jasong

"Jason Goatcher"
Mar 2005

5×701 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurV View Post
+1 Additionally, this will help surviving of good torrents, especially if you limit the uploading band "selective". I don't limit my uploading bandwidth for good torrents, but limit it for others (I know this is subjective). Some of my friends won't agree, or will do viceversa ("fill the bad guys with crap!", and honestly, there is a lot if it) but I am a bit selfish and think to myself in the future, I will want to find those good torrents still there, if I look for them after 10 or 20 years.
It's not so much that I want to limit my uploading, I simply prefer to upload to people who are uploading themselves. If people want to 100% leech, they can either compensate me for my bandwidth or go to hell.

Admittedly, I don't pay for my own bandwidth, my dad does. But, philosophically, I hate leeching. If you have limited bandwidth on mobile, I guess that's okay, I have no way to tell. But, ultimately, people need to balance things out in some way.
jasong is offline   Reply With Quote