mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > Hardware > GPU Computing

Old 2013-06-29, 06:26   #1
TheMawn

May 2013
East. Always East.

11×157 Posts
Default AMD + Nvidia

Just a quick question for the GPU gurus. Is it possible to run a system with both a card from AMD and Nvidia? I've read it is possible to run a dedicated PhysX card along side an AMD so my guess is that this could work since one of them is working on the display and the other is just sitting around.

This would be in the context of running mfaktc on one and mfakto on the other, and is purely hypothetical.
TheMawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-29, 09:33   #2
NormanRKN

Jul 2012
Saarland / Germany

22·17 Posts

yes, it is possible with a litte "trick".
source: click (site in german)

download p.e. this driver bundle if you want or download others:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/r4c51aqbjs...35.2_EN_DE.exe
contains nvidia 314.22 and amd 134 and 135 beta 2

1. download the AIO drivers ;)
2. deinstall ALL drivers ( AMD and NVIDIA ) complete
3. reboot
4. start the AIO driver setup and push a key .. then wait
5. choose the language and select your drivers
6. now wait ( nvidia drivers will installed auto if you choose a AMD driver)
7. now wait a few minutes ( there is no progress for ~5 minutes )
8. choose your physx you want to install
9. restart
10. ready

the amd card should be in the first slot with a connected monitor and the nvidia in the others.

optional:
If you need older p.e. amd drivers you can unzip the bundle to disc and override the drivers you want with yours.

I hope it works for you ;)

Norman
NormanRKN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-29, 14:18   #3
kracker
ἀβουλία

"Mr. Meeseeks"
Jan 2012
California, USA

32·241 Posts

http://mersenneforum.org/showthread.php?t=17081
kracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-29, 16:27   #4
bcp19

Oct 2011

2A716 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMawn View Post
Just a quick question for the GPU gurus. Is it possible to run a system with both a card from AMD and Nvidia? I've read it is possible to run a dedicated PhysX card along side an AMD so my guess is that this could work since one of them is working on the display and the other is just sitting around.

This would be in the context of running mfaktc on one and mfakto on the other, and is purely hypothetical.
I have an AMD 1050T that I used to run a GTX460 and an HD 5770 in. I'm not that techno-savvy but I got them running with little to no fuss.
bcp19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-29, 16:46   #5
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

5×2,011 Posts

Isn't the principle (functional or not) that drivers put out calls, and appropriate hardware responds? Leaving aside resource conflicts, it should be possible to have different brands of hardware resident on the same system, with each recognizing its specific drivers.

On a previous motherboard, I was able to run the display off the integrated (AMD) GPU, while running mfaktc on a GTX 460 card. I only gave it up because Adobe apps like Photoshop only use the display GPU for co-processing, and the onboard chip was far less powerful than the 460.
kladner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-01, 01:11   #6
TheMawn

May 2013
East. Always East.

11×157 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kladner View Post
Isn't the principle (functional or not) that drivers put out calls, and appropriate hardware responds? Leaving aside resource conflicts, it should be possible to have different brands of hardware resident on the same system, with each recognizing its specific drivers.

On a previous motherboard, I was able to run the display off the integrated (AMD) GPU, while running mfaktc on a GTX 460 card. I only gave it up because Adobe apps like Photoshop only use the display GPU for co-processing, and the onboard chip was far less powerful than the 460.
That's kind of what I was thinking. The article posted seems to be in the context of running PhysX off the Nvidia card, which is more relevant to gaming than anything. It sounds to me like I shouldn't need any of the fancy tricks because the one card would be running something completely independently of the other.

I think some of ASUS's Z77 (and probably Z87, too) allow the computer to make use of both the integrated and dedicated GPU's in certain situations, but I could be wrong.
TheMawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-01, 01:20   #7
kracker
ἀβουλία

"Mr. Meeseeks"
Jan 2012
California, USA

216910 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMawn View Post
That's kind of what I was thinking. The article posted seems to be in the context of running PhysX off the Nvidia card, which is more relevant to gaming than anything. It sounds to me like I shouldn't need any of the fancy tricks because the one card would be running something completely independently of the other.

I think some of ASUS's Z77 (and probably Z87, too) allow the computer to make use of both the integrated and dedicated GPU's in certain situations, but I could be wrong.
I have my integrated together along my card running mfakto.(it's a AMD MB though)
kracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-01, 14:08   #8
Bdot

Nov 2010
Germany

59710 Posts

I think the only case that is somewhere between difficult and unresolved is to get the Intel HD4000 integrated GPU run OpenCL apps while some discrete GPU does the same.
Bdot is offline   Reply With Quote