Old 2008-05-26, 22:28   #133
mdettweiler
A Sunny Moo

Aug 2007
USA (GMT-5)

11000011000012 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAMCOBILL View Post
What can I do? I'm still sleeping and have results still waiting to be uploaded?
Extract another copy of LLRnet to a new folder on each of your machines, set it to do work on either the port 400 or port 6 server, and run it. When port 300 comes back online, the port 300 copy of LLRnet will send in its results, get new work, and start on that--then, each LLRnet will get half the CPU until you can shut down one of them. Not entirely ideal, but still much, much better than having your system sit around idle.
Old 2008-05-26, 22:34   #134
KAMCOBILL

Apr 2006

3×11 Posts

OK. Make it a tosend.txt file right? I may have more that one because I don't have access to all PCs from one place right now. I'll do the best I can.
Old 2008-05-26, 22:48   #135
mdettweiler
A Sunny Moo

Aug 2007
USA (GMT-5)

792 Posts

Quote:
OK. Make it a tosend.txt file right? I may have more that one because I don't have access to all PCs from one place right now. I'll do the best I can.
I'm not quite sure I get your drift here...
Old 2008-05-26, 22:52   #136
KAMCOBILL

Apr 2006

3·11 Posts

OK. I made a tosend.txt and put about 30 results in it and went to 400 on Ironbits and then were uploaded. I don't know if that is all of them yet or not. just wanted to make sure I did it correctly.

Last fiddled with by KAMCOBILL on 2008-05-26 at 22:53
Old 2008-05-27, 00:24   #137
gd_barnes

May 2007
Kansas; USA

3·3,413 Posts

Quote:
OK. I made a tosend.txt and put about 30 results in it and went to 400 on Ironbits and then were uploaded. I don't know if that is all of them yet or not. just wanted to make sure I did it correctly.
No no! Bummer! If you sent Adam's port 300 results to Ironbits port 400 server, they will be rejected because it didn't send them out in the first place. Ouch. Unfortunately what should have been communicated to you is that you should just rename the 'to send' file to something different, switch over to port 400, and then once port 300 is back up, then rename the files back, change to port 300, and THEN reload the results that were created from port 300. Complex? Unfortunately yes it is.

Anon, perhaps you have the expertise to straighten this out. Is it possible to take the rejected results from Ironbits port 400 server that were uploaded by Kamcobill (I'm assuming they will be rejected), recreate a 'to send' file out of them and then upload that to Adam's port 300 once it comes back on line BEFORE it attempts to send them back out to people because they hadn't been returned in whatever amount of time?

I guess that Adam is gone for the weekend because I haven't heard from him. We need him back bad to get his server back on line! I just now tried switching a few machines back to port 300...still sleeping. So I'm leaving 4 cores on port 400...the # that I had on port 300 prior to the rally.

In the mean time, Anon and Karsten, don't total any rally results yet until Adam's server comes back on line and people can get them uploaded.

I'm sorry everyone. It's unfortunate that we had this wonderful response to the rally and we weren't able to handle it properly. Even with a pre-rally stress test, that wasn't enough.

Gary

Last fiddled with by gd_barnes on 2008-05-27 at 00:27
Old 2008-05-27, 00:31   #138
KAMCOBILL

Apr 2006

3310 Posts

That's Ok. I may have misunderstood. But Now that I read it again, for some reason I can't get moe than 1 to run together, so that won't work. Even changing the ports and etc.

They did get uploaded though. That was a plus.
Old 2008-05-27, 00:36   #139
mdettweiler
A Sunny Moo

Aug 2007
USA (GMT-5)

792 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd_barnes View Post
No no! Bummer! If you sent Adam's port 300 results to Ironbits port 400 server, they will be rejected because it didn't send them out in the first place. Ouch. Unfortunately what should have been communicated to you is that you should just rename the 'to send' file to something different, switch over to port 400, and then once port 300 is back up, then rename the files back, change to port 300, and THEN reload the results that were created from port 300. Complex? Unfortunately yes it is.

Anon, perhaps you have the expertise to straighten this out. Is it possible to take the rejected results from Ironbits port 400 server that were uploaded by Kamcobill (I'm assuming they will be rejected), recreate a 'to send' file out of them and then upload that to Adam's port 300 once it comes back on line BEFORE it attempts to send them back out to people because they hadn't been returned in whatever amount of time?
Yes, that is possible. I'll send an email to IronBits asking him to send me the rejected.txt file for port 400 shortly, and should be able to put it back together into a tosend.txt file using a Perl script that I wrote a while back (originally for use with my somewhat-clunky method of running LLRnet numbers through LLR 3.7.1 for the speed benefits).

Quote:
I guess that Adam is gone for the weekend because I haven't heard from him. We need him back bad to get his server back on line! I just now tried switching a few machines back to port 300...still sleeping. So I'm leaving 4 cores on port 400...the # that I had on port 300 prior to the rally.
Either he's gone for the weekend, or it's a network outage and thus not only is the server down, but possibly that would keep Adam from being able to get online, too. The reason why I've been suspecting a network outage is because this time around, even the web page at http://nplb.rieselprime.org won't load.

In fact, if an outage (or some other similar problem) is the cause of the most recent downtime, then the clients aren't really "frozen up" per se--instead, they're just stuck with no work to do, and not being able to return their results in tosend.txt, because they can't get to the server.

Quote:
In the mean time, Anon and Karsten, don't total any rally results yet until Adam's server comes back on line and people can get them uploaded.
Okay, yep.

Quote:
I'm sorry everyone. It's unfortunate that we had this wonderful response to the rally and we weren't able to handle it properly. Even with a pre-rally stress test, that wasn't enough.
Yeah, I know--quite unfortunate. Oh well, hopefully we can learn from what went wrong this time, and the next rally can go smoothly and be our biggest yet!

Anon
Old 2008-05-27, 00:40   #140
mdettweiler
A Sunny Moo

Aug 2007
USA (GMT-5)

792 Posts

Quote:
That's Ok. I may have misunderstood. But Now that I read it again, for some reason I can't get moe than 1 to run together, so that won't work. Even changing the ports and etc.

They did get uploaded though. That was a plus.
No big deal, as I mentioned in my previous post, we should be able to recover the results. I'll ask IronBits to send me the rejected.txt file (which is where your results will be) from port 400, then I'll run a script that will convert your results to tosend.txt format. Then, I'll simply pop that tosend.txt file into a folder on my computer that contains a copy of LLRnet all set up for port 300, set it to your username, and have it send in the results when the server comes back online.
Old 2008-05-27, 01:13   #141
IronBits
I ♥ BOINC!

Oct 2002
Glendale, AZ. (USA)

3×7×53 Posts

Done
Old 2008-05-27, 01:21   #142
mdettweiler
A Sunny Moo

Aug 2007
USA (GMT-5)

11000011000012 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronBits View Post
Done
Okay, thanks, got the rejected results and converted them to tosend.txt format. Now we've just got to wait for the port 300 server to come back online.
Old 2008-05-27, 02:04   #143
gd_barnes

May 2007
Kansas; USA

3·3,413 Posts

Here are some instructions on what to do with the port 300 'to send' results that you haven't been able to send to port 300 yet:

If you want to run some manual files, just do that in a different directory than your LLRnet and wait until you hear that port 300 is back up. When you hear that it is back up, do the following:

1. Kill the LLRnet process in Linux or do an 'end process' in task manager.

2. Change the --once=1 command in your llr-clientconfig file to remove the dashes, i.e. making it so that it is NOT a comment.

3. Double-click on LLRnet. That will upload the results to port 300 and stop immediately without any further processing on that port.

If you want to run on a different server such as port 6 or 400 or 5000, the easiest way is to create an entirely new directory or folder to do so as follows:

1. Create a brand new directory for all of the usual server files and make the appropriate changes to the llr-clientconfig file to point it to the server that you want to process.

2. Continue on #1 until you hear that port 300 is back up.

3. When port 300 is back up, stop your sever processing from #2 and continue from #1 in the 'manual files' section.

Alternatively, if you don't want to set up a separate directory, do this:

1. Rename workfile.txt, tosend.txt, and lresults.txt to something different like workfile2.txt, tosend2.txt, etc.

2. Change the llr-clienconfig file to point to the server that you want to and double-click on llrnet to restart it.

3. When port 300 is back up, kill your current process. Rename the other port files in #1 to something like workfile3.txt, tosend3.txt, etc. Now rename the old workfile2.txt, etc. files to workfile.txt, etc. file names.

4. Change the --once=1 command in your llr-clientconfig file to remove the dashes, i.e. making it so that it is NOT a comment. Also change the same file to point to server 300.

5. Double-click on LLRnet. The port 300 results should be uploaded.

6. Delete the tosend.txt and workfile.txt files. Rename lresults.txt to lresults2.txt and rename lresults3.txt, tosend3.txt, etc. files to lresults.txt, tosend.txt, etc.

7. Change the once=1 command in your llr-clientconfig file to add back the dashes, i.e. making it so that it IS a comment. Also change the same file to point to the server that you were running.

8. Double-click on LLRnet. Your new port should resume from where it left off.

Karsten and Anon, what we'll need to do is wait until port 300 comes back up and everyone uploads their files from the rally. At that point, we can hopefully process all the results.

Gary

Last fiddled with by gd_barnes on 2008-05-27 at 05:39
Closed Thread