Closed Thread

Old 2008-03-07, 08:33   #45
em99010pepe

Sep 2004

2·5·283 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd_barnes View Post
Carlos,

Can you pull a big chunk of the file out of your port 100 server? If so, I'll send Beyond that as the first part of his next big file that he needs before next Monday. That'd be a good way to clean up my mess!

Gary
Yes I can...302k-305k?

EDIT: Took that range off the server.
Attached Files
File Type: zip knpairs_302k_305k.zip (92.3 KB, 103 views)

Last fiddled with by em99010pepe on 2008-03-07 at 08:40
Old 2008-03-07, 08:58   #46
AMDave

Jan 2006
deep in a while-loop

10100100102 Posts

Quote:
I think for Karsten's benefit, we should change everything for each rally to see if he can keep up. Perhaps for the next rally, we can put dates in DD/CCYY/MM format and have the rally on 2 different k-ranges on 2 different servers. We also can't forget that there should be several gaps in the rally's n-ranges because we previously allowed some manual reservations right in the middle of them.

I said we wanted a fun project. Wouldn't we all have fun seeing what kind of system he came up with to handle that?

Then for the rally after that, perhaps dates in YY/MM/CC/DD format would be good. So today's date would be 08032006. Maybe we could mix in some hours/mins/secs in reverse order at the beginning of the date to make things extra entertaining for the rest of us to watch.

Note: CC = century.

Gary
You are hilarious.
Can I throw in some Julian numerics?

Last fiddled with by AMDave on 2008-03-07 at 09:00
Old 2008-03-07, 11:27   #47
kar_bon

Mar 2006
Germany

1011001010002 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMDave View Post
You are hilarious.
yesssssssssss, julian date counting in astronomy (one of my hobbies) is the only true date!
what about that? per definition it's counting the days from 1.jan -4712 12:00 TDT.
so the 1.1.2000 12:00 is 2.451.545,0!
and today is 2454533. and this is a special day 2492807! which one?
(references http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julian_day and http://www.nr.com/julian.html)

Last fiddled with by kar_bon on 2008-03-07 at 11:28
Old 2008-03-07, 16:23   #48
mdettweiler
A Sunny Moo

Aug 2007
USA (GMT-5)

141518 Posts

Quote:
I guess I don't understand why it's a pain if he just pulls the last contiguous range out of there with no gaps and sends them to no one. I would then send the same range to Beyond for manual reservation.

But hey, don't do it if it's a pain at all. I only asked because I thought it'd be an easy way to dry his server.
Okay, I guess that won't be a problem (since it's not like the range is going to another LLRnet server or anything).

Quote:
Originally Posted by em99010pepe View Post
Yes I can...302k-305k?

Okay, thanks for attaching the file, that will be helpful to me.
Old 2008-03-07, 16:29   #49
gd_barnes

May 2007
Kansas; USA

2·47·109 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by em99010pepe View Post
Yes I can...302k-305k?

EXCELLENT!! That helps the project, Beyond, you, and me. Thanks for posting the specific k/n pairs here, which also helps the admins account for everything.

Karsten and Anon, see this range that has been pulled from the port 100 server. Please note it as manually reserved by Beyond. I checked the starting and ending k/n pairs and they look good. In case Beyond doesn't see this, I'll send him a PM with a link to the file.

I'll still have much more to send Beyond before Monday but this is a good start.

Gary
Old 2008-03-07, 16:39   #50
gd_barnes

May 2007
Kansas; USA

2·47·109 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMDave View Post
You are hilarious.

Yeah, sure throw in some Julian dates. Karsten obviously likes those. Mix them in with some spelled out dates like "Friday, March 7th", oh and "Friday, the 7th of March". Musn't leave those out.

Xyzzy (Mike), the super mod here, is absolutely hilarious. He's also very good at finding avatars for people. Mine is a little kid's picture of a barn. Can you guess why he chose that one? I see that you have the Grommit avatar at the AMD users site, which is listed as your home page. Being the diligent mod that he is, I'm sure he found that and used it.

Gary
Old 2008-03-07, 16:43   #51
mdettweiler
A Sunny Moo

Aug 2007
USA (GMT-5)

3·2,083 Posts

Quote:
Yeah, sure throw in some Julian dates. Karsten obviously likes those. Mix them in with some spelled out dates like "Friday, March 7th", oh and "Friday, the 7th of March". Musn't leave those out.

Xyzzy (Mike), the super mod here, is absolutely hilarious. He's also very good at finding avatars for people. Mine is a little kid's picture of a barn. Can you guess why he chose that one? I see that you have the Grommit avatar at the AMD users site, which is listed as your home page. Being the diligent mod that he is, I'm sure he found that and used it.

Gary
Oh! For an even funnier twist, how about we mix in some of the "stardate" dates from Star Trek? (Hmm, I wonder how you calculate between those and regular "earth dates"?)
Old 2008-03-07, 16:50   #52
Mini-Geek
Account Deleted

"Tim Sorbera"
Aug 2006
San Antonio, TX USA

17·251 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
Oh! For an even funnier twist, how about we mix in some of the "stardate" dates from Star Trek? (Hmm, I wonder how you calculate between those and regular "earth dates"?)
Being a bit of a Trekkie myself, I know that in TOS, they basically just made up a number so it seemed like "sometime in the indeterminate future" while still having a date.
Ah, here's more info on it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stardate
There's no direct relation between Stardates and our Gregorian dates, it's just whatever the writers wanted, more or less, so that won't really work.
Old 2008-03-07, 16:52   #53
Mini-Geek
Account Deleted

"Tim Sorbera"
Aug 2006
San Antonio, TX USA

10AB16 Posts

Quote:
I got myself an avatar before he had a chance to make mine, but he did put the "Account Deleted" text there after I made a reference regarding him, the gerbils, and the Log Out button.
Have you noticed that the barn and windmill switch places every 60 seconds? I noticed it when I thought the two were on the opposite sides, and decided to see if it really switched. Open it in an animated image editor to see the two images (I used ImageReady 7).

Edit: Oops, I double posted...while I was working on one, I noticed a new post to reply to, and didn't notice it was the same thread. Oh well.

Last fiddled with by Mini-Geek on 2008-03-07 at 17:04
Old 2008-03-07, 17:01   #54
mdettweiler
A Sunny Moo

Aug 2007
USA (GMT-5)

624910 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-Geek View Post
Being a bit of a Trekkie myself, I know that in TOS, they basically just made up a number so it seemed like "sometime in the indeterminate future" while still having a date.
Ah, here's more info on it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stardate
There's no direct relation between Stardates and our Gregorian dates, it's just whatever the writers wanted, more or less, so that won't really work.
Ah, I see. Thanks for the link! It was quite interesting.
Old 2008-03-07, 17:19   #55
kar_bon

Mar 2006
Germany

54508 Posts
Default Star Trek fans!

ohhh, here're some guys Star Trek fans like me too!?

35 years ago i saw TOS the first time and since then i'm a fan. my favorite is TNG.
(time goes by... so faaaast )

and for the Star Date look here: http://www.hillschmidt.de/gbr/sternenzeit.htm

PS: and NPLB goes where no primesearcher has gone before!!!

Last fiddled with by kar_bon on 2008-03-07 at 17:20 Reason: PS
Closed Thread