mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Prime Search Projects > No Prime Left Behind

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 2008-03-06, 17:04   #23
gd_barnes
 
gd_barnes's Avatar
 
May 2007
Kansas; USA

101000000001002 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by em99010pepe View Post
As Beyond I'll be out of the rally due to a bunch of work I still have to crunch on all my cores.


Looks like I smell a Free-DC whoopin' this time!
gd_barnes is online now  
Old 2008-03-06, 17:07   #24
em99010pepe
 
em99010pepe's Avatar
 
Sep 2004

2·5·283 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd_barnes View Post


Looks like I smell a Free-DC whoopin' this time!
Look at the stats...we don't need to bring our CPU power.
em99010pepe is offline  
Old 2008-03-06, 17:35   #25
mdettweiler
A Sunny Moo
 
mdettweiler's Avatar
 
Aug 2007
USA (GMT-5)

792 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd_barnes View Post
...
If it can be done, I might suggest that Carlos pull a big chunk of the file out of his server port 100 since he would like to dry that one, and send it to Beyond. (I haven't checked what is left; may not be feasible now.) That would assist a lot in cleaning up 'Gary's mess' so that we can all be searching for top-5000 primes!


Gary
I've recently been experimenting with pulling candidates from LLRnet, crunching them with manual LLR, then returning them through LLRnet--I've got a nice little Perl script made that will easily convert lresults.txt files into LLRnet-compatible tosend.txt files. Right now, I've got 600 candidates checked out from Carlos's port 100 server, and I'm crunching them with manual LLR (i.e. version 3.7.1c, so I can benefit from the big speed increases introduced in LLR 3.6!). I'm estimating that 600 candidates takes about 20 or so hours on one core of my machine, so I should be able to return them in plenty of time before the 7-day deadline.

Anyway, long story short, I'm wondering if this might be a better option than trying to pull a range from Carlos's port 100 server on the back end--instead, maybe Carlos could up the deadline on returned k/n pairs a little bit, and we could get some k/n pairs this way for Beyond. Then, he could send me his lresults files, and I could run them through the Perl script and send them in to the LLRnet server under his name.

Anybody think this is a good idea?

Last fiddled with by mdettweiler on 2008-03-06 at 17:36
mdettweiler is offline  
Old 2008-03-06, 17:42   #26
henryzz
Just call me Henry
 
henryzz's Avatar
 
"David"
Sep 2007
Cambridge (GMT/BST)

34·71 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
I've recently been experimenting with pulling candidates from LLRnet, crunching them with manual LLR, then returning them through LLRnet--I've got a nice little Perl script made that will easily convert lresults.txt files into LLRnet-compatible tosend.txt files. Right now, I've got 600 candidates checked out from Carlos's port 100 server, and I'm crunching them with manual LLR (i.e. version 3.7.1c, so I can benefit from the big speed increases introduced in LLR 3.6!). I'm estimating that 600 candidates takes about 20 or so hours on one core of my machine, so I should be able to return them in plenty of time before the 7-day deadline.

Anyway, long story short, I'm wondering if this might be a better option than trying to pull a range from Carlos's port 100 server on the back end--instead, maybe Carlos could up the deadline on returned k/n pairs a little bit, and we could get some k/n pairs this way for Beyond. Then, he could send me his lresults files, and I could run them through the Perl script and send them in to the LLRnet server under his name.

Anybody think this is a good idea?
better still u could teach him to do it
henryzz is offline  
Old 2008-03-06, 18:05   #27
Flatlander
I quite division it
 
Flatlander's Avatar
 
"Chris"
Feb 2005
England

207710 Posts
Default

Quote:
LLRnet server rally 3/8-3/9/2008

I can't wait for August the third, but a month long rally sounds a bit excessive.
Flatlander is offline  
Old 2008-03-06, 18:43   #28
mdettweiler
A Sunny Moo
 
mdettweiler's Avatar
 
Aug 2007
USA (GMT-5)

792 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryzz View Post
better still u could teach him to do it
Yeah, that's another option--it's not very hard to do. I can post my little program here along with instructions for how to do it.
mdettweiler is offline  
Old 2008-03-06, 19:21   #29
tnerual
 
tnerual's Avatar
 
Oct 2006

7×37 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatlander View Post
I can't wait for August the third, but a month long rally sounds a bit excessive.
english speaking people can't do things like other people in the world ...

date (first month then day then year), distances (foot, inch, yard, ...), weights (pound, stone, ...) and money (Farthing, Penny, shilling, crown, Guinea, ...)

never try to understand it even if it's in your country ...

Last fiddled with by tnerual on 2008-03-06 at 19:21
tnerual is offline  
Old 2008-03-06, 20:22   #30
gd_barnes
 
gd_barnes's Avatar
 
May 2007
Kansas; USA

22·13·197 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnerual View Post
english speaking people can't do things like other people in the world ...

date (first month then day then year), distances (foot, inch, yard, ...), weights (pound, stone, ...) and money (Farthing, Penny, shilling, crown, Guinea, ...)

never try to understand it even if it's in your country ...
Funny thing is I live here and I can't understand why we do the stupid measurements either! It makes no sense. We can travel to even English-speaking parts of Canada (most of it) and they use the metric system. It seems to be more of a U.S. phenomina than an English phenomina. Chris, don't they use metric measurements in the U.K.?

Money makes reasonable cents (oh I mean sense, lol) here. 100 pennies in a dollar. Of course there are nickels/dimes/quarters, but those are just like 5, 10, and 25 pennies.

But date is a different story...When spoken, we say it is "March 6th" NOT it is the "6th of March", which I'm sure is a large part of the reason for showing the day/month in opposite manners in display format. I could never understand why other countries do this. March 6th is shorter and easier to say. Even in Spanish (the only other language I know anything at all in), it would be easier to say "Mayo cinco" instead of "cinco de Mayo".

Alas, it is all tradition and the general structure of the languages. One of the biggest differences I noticed between English and Spanish, way back in Junior High School when I took it is, that in Spanish, they put nouns first followed by adjectives, i.e. "La seniorita bonita" instead of in English where we put the adjectives first, i.e. "The pretty girl". (sorry if that's not a perfect translation but I know it's close. lol) This may explain the date thing where effectively, "cinco" or "five" is kind of like an adjective. I suspect a large majority of other major languages say the noun followed by the adjective in most cases, hence they put the day before the month when displaying a date.

Any others care to comment on the adjective-noun position in sentences in your native language?

So beginning August 3rd, we're having a month-long rally!! LMAO

Edit: Thread name changed...everyone happy now? lol


Gary

Last fiddled with by gd_barnes on 2008-03-06 at 20:24
gd_barnes is online now  
Old 2008-03-06, 21:02   #31
tnerual
 
tnerual's Avatar
 
Oct 2006

10316 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd_barnes View Post
Money makes reasonable cents (oh I mean sense, lol) here. 100 pennies in a dollar. Of course there are nickels/dimes/quarters, but those are just like 5, 10, and 25 pennies.
The Original British Monetary System
Two farthings = One Ha’penny.
Two ha’pennies = One Penny.
Three pennies = A Thrupenny Bit.
Two Thrupences = A Sixpence.
Two Sixpences = One Shilling or Bob.
Two Bob = A Florin.
One Florin and one Sixpence = Half a Crown.
Four Half Crowns = Ten Bob Note.
Two Ten Bob Notes = One Pound (or 240 pennies).
One Pound and One Shilling = One Guinea.

The British resisted decimalized currency for a long time because they felt it was “too complicated”.


for date, we would say in french : "le huit mars" (the eight march)
tnerual is offline  
Old 2008-03-06, 21:08   #32
em99010pepe
 
em99010pepe's Avatar
 
Sep 2004

54168 Posts
Default

I think wise people would use day/month/year, do you guys know why? Easy because we all write the date in extension like this (in any language I suppose): "Thursday, 6th of March of 2008", simple!

Last fiddled with by em99010pepe on 2008-03-06 at 21:09
em99010pepe is offline  
Old 2008-03-06, 21:16   #33
AMDave
 
AMDave's Avatar
 
Jan 2006
deep in a while-loop

29216 Posts
Default

I am a DD/MM/YYYY person myself

However I make my machines use YYYYMMDDHHMMSSSS_{filename}
because that makes more sense for chronological ordering of files in folders

Even better if I use UTC for the HHMMSSSS part when organizing files from machines in different timezones.

2c.
AMDave is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
LLRnet rally Apr. 30th to May 2nd gd_barnes No Prime Left Behind 51 2010-05-12 22:20
LLRnet server rally 400<k<1001 August 8-10 mdettweiler No Prime Left Behind 66 2008-08-11 03:00
LLRnet server rally 400<k<1001 June 20-22 mdettweiler No Prime Left Behind 67 2008-06-23 15:32
LLRnet server rally port 300 May 23rd-25th gd_barnes No Prime Left Behind 172 2008-06-04 19:21
LLRnet server rally port 300 May 3rd-4th gd_barnes No Prime Left Behind 45 2008-05-05 19:56

All times are UTC. The time now is 00:03.

Tue Dec 1 00:03:43 UTC 2020 up 81 days, 21:14, 1 user, load averages: 1.14, 1.37, 1.49

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum has received and complied with 0 (zero) government requests for information.

Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.2 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation.
A copy of the license is included in the FAQ.