Old 2008-02-25, 20:55   #1
Mini-Geek
Account Deleted

"Tim Sorbera"
Aug 2006
San Antonio, TX USA

10000101010112 Posts
Default easiest way to check if you found prime

I finished that GIMPS number today and started on my NPLB range, and it's brought up this question in my mind: What would be a good way to easily see if my LLR found a prime? It's just one core on my computer, so no worries about getting it from multiple files.

Maybe a program to monitor the result file? (referring to the one you name, but lresults.txt would work too, just in a different way) It only puts the primes in there, right? So if somebody has some script to see when it gets edited, that'd work.
Mini-Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-25, 21:13   #2
mdettweiler
A Sunny Moo

Aug 2007
USA (GMT-5)

3·2,083 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-Geek View Post
I finished that GIMPS number today and started on my NPLB range, and it's brought up this question in my mind: What would be a good way to easily see if my LLR found a prime? It's just one core on my computer, so no worries about getting it from multiple files.

Maybe a program to monitor the result file? (referring to the one you name, but lresults.txt would work too, just in a different way) It only puts the primes in there, right? So if somebody has some script to see when it gets edited, that'd work.
The lresults.txt file logs everything--primes and non-primes. You have to either attach that to your post when you mark the range complete, or email the file to Gary, after you've finished the range, because it contains all the residuals.

The file that you pick a name for only logs primes, and in the same format that the input file comes in. To check if you found a prime, open the file that you chose as an LLR output file, and if there's two or more lines in there (the first one is just the NewPGen header line, so you can ignore it), you've found some primes! (The lines listing actual primes are formatted like this: "k n".)

As for an automated program to notify you when you've found a prime, I know LLRnet can be set up to execute a given shell script/batch file/program whenever it finds a prime, but manual LLR has no such function. However, it would be possible to write a program to watch the LLR output file (the one containing primes only) for primes, and notify you when you find one. I'd be glad to try making a little program to do the trick.

Last fiddled with by mdettweiler on 2008-02-25 at 21:14 Reason: typo
mdettweiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-25, 21:28   #3
gd_barnes

May 2007
Kansas; USA

10,247 Posts

Quote:

I thought I'd throw a "real world" example at you here from a range that I recently processed. Here's an LLR output primes file with a prime in it:

Code:
5000000000000:M:1:2:258
945 350126
So the 2nd line means that 945*2^350126-1 is prime. It's formatted just like your sieve file coming in but only has primes in it. Here's a file with no primes:

Code:
5000000000000:M:1:2:258
Because it only has the header of your sieve file, there are no primes.

Anon, that'd be cool to have a notifying program. I'd be interested in getting it from you or if you can post it here, I'm sure some others might be interested also.

Gary
gd_barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-25, 21:33   #4
mdettweiler
A Sunny Moo

Aug 2007
USA (GMT-5)

141518 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd_barnes View Post
Anon, that'd be cool to have a notifying program. I'd be interested in getting it from you or if you can post it here, I'm sure some others might be interested also.
Yep, that's the plan--if and when I can get it finished, I'll be sure to post it here.

Please note that it will almost definitely be written in Perl, which means that if you're using Windows (which doesn't come with Perl by default) you'll need to download and install Perl from http://www.activeperl.com. (Installing it, and running programs with it, is a pretty straightforward process.)
Old 2008-02-25, 21:49   #5
kar_bon

Mar 2006
Germany

54518 Posts

i'm using (for my quad with now many folders on LLRnet) a batch file like this:
Code:
@echo off
echo Port 100
cd LLRnet100_1
find "is prim" lresults.txt
cd..
cd LLRnet100_2
cd..
cd LLRnet100_3
cd..
cd LLRnet100_4
cd..
pause
make a text-file, rename it *.bat and everytime you want to know a prime is found, double-click and a dos-window stays open, until closed or key is pressed.
the 'find' command is here because LLRnet does not save found primes in a seperate file.

for 'normal' LLR you can use this batch:
Code:
@echo off
echo My primes
cd nplb_1
type prim.txt
cd..
cd nplb_2
type prim.txt
cd..
cd nplb_3
type prim.txt
cd..
cd nplb_4
type prim.txt
cd..
pause
here for example are four folders with the lresults.txt in it and the file with current primes found (i named it 'prim.txt' in LLR).

hope this helps.
best would be something that popup a request/window whenever a prime is found!

karsten
kar_bon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-25, 21:50   #6
Mini-Geek
Account Deleted

"Tim Sorbera"
Aug 2006
San Antonio, TX USA

17·251 Posts

Thanks for all the info. I actually already knew a good portion of it, since I've been playing around with LLR in the last month, but I guess I should've said what I know already if I didn't want to get the whole info.
Any rough ETA on when you could make that Perl program?
In the mean time, I'm going to google around for a program to monitor file changes.

Edit: I just found http://www.download.com/File-Monitor...html?tag=lst-1 and http://www.plsys.com/products/filemonitor/. The second looks like a more mature product, but seems Mac-focused. I'm going to try out that first one...
Edit2: The first one is a Yahoo Widget...well never mind that. Two more: http://www.download.com/logview4net/...html?tag=lst-4 http://www.download.com/File-Alert-M...html?tag=lst-4

Last fiddled with by Mini-Geek on 2008-02-25 at 21:56
Old 2008-02-25, 21:54   #7
mdettweiler
A Sunny Moo

Aug 2007
USA (GMT-5)

3·2,083 Posts

Quote:
Thanks for all the info. I actually already knew a good portion of it, since I've been playing around with LLR in the last month, but I guess I should've said what I know already if I didn't want to get the whole info.
Any rough ETA on when you could make that Perl program?
In the mean time, I'm going to google around for a program to monitor file changes.
I'll give myself a day or two to get it written.

When completed, I'm hoping for it to be able to send email notifications of new primes found automatically.
Old 2008-02-25, 21:55   #8
gd_barnes

May 2007
Kansas; USA

101000000001112 Posts

Karsten's idea seems very good and very easy. Would that suit your needs?

I think I may do Karsten's idea myself, especially for rallies.
gd_barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-25, 22:09   #9
Mini-Geek
Account Deleted

"Tim Sorbera"
Aug 2006
San Antonio, TX USA

17×251 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post

When completed, I'm hoping for it to be able to send email notifications of new primes found automatically.
Cool.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kar_bon View Post
i'm using (for my quad with now many folders on LLRnet) a batch file like this:
Code:
@echo off
echo Port 100
cd LLRnet100_1
cd..
cd LLRnet100_2
cd..
cd LLRnet100_3
cd..
cd LLRnet100_4
cd..
pause
make a text-file, rename it *.bat and everytime you want to know a prime is found, double-click and a dos-window stays open, until closed or key is pressed.
the 'find' command is here because LLRnet does not save found primes in a seperate file.

for 'normal' LLR you can use this batch:
Code:
@echo off
echo My primes
cd nplb_1
type prim.txt
cd..
cd nplb_2
type prim.txt
cd..
cd nplb_3
type prim.txt
cd..
cd nplb_4
type prim.txt
cd..
pause
here for example are four folders with the lresults.txt in it and the file with current primes found (i named it 'prim.txt' in LLR).

hope this helps.
best would be something that popup a request/window whenever a prime is found!

karsten
You posted this right before my earlier post. I didn't notice it until just now. That works way better than the things I found, and, although it lacks an automatic popup on new prime found, in a way that's good, because it doesn't steal CPU cycles (one I tried was using all of one core...the core with LLR on it).

Edit: I edited it to the following. It only checks the one file, and automatically closes after 2 seconds. Also, I had it find it off of lresults.txt because then it returns the longer, nicer-looking full result line, instead of just a few numbers. And it means that if there's none it shows dashes instead of just one line of numbers, making it stick out even more when there is a prime. Some of this is more useful/necessary because I only have it up 2 seconds.
Code:
@echo off
echo My primes
find "!" lresults.txt
ping -n 2 127.0.0.1 > NUL

Last fiddled with by Mini-Geek on 2008-02-25 at 22:52
Old 2008-02-28, 12:28   #10
Mini-Geek
Account Deleted

"Tim Sorbera"
Aug 2006
San Antonio, TX USA

17·251 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post

So how's it coming? Not trying to rush you, just looking for a status update.
Old 2008-02-28, 16:15   #11
mdettweiler
A Sunny Moo

Aug 2007
USA (GMT-5)

141518 Posts

Quote:
So how's it coming? Not trying to rush you, just looking for a status update.
Sorry, I didn't get to start on it yet. Thanks for the reminder--I'll see about getting it started today.