"TF79LL86GIMPS96gpu17"
Mar 2017
US midwest

474710 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retina View Post
"Progress"...
Nope.
If I were buying a new oven for example, anything beyond manually controlled heat or perhaps a settable timer is an anti-feature. Even a time of day clock is a nuisance, considering twice annual time shifts and power outages.
Complexity plus high power capability = probability of trouble. (Imagine a bug that triggers the self-cleaning oven feature, cremating the thanksgiving turkey and starting a kitchen fire)

Last fiddled with by kriesel on 2020-09-27 at 17:52
kriesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-07, 00:32   #332
retina
Undefined

"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

588510 Posts
Default People are willing to trust companies with their most sensitive parts!

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-54436575
Quote:
A security flaw in a hi-tech chastity belt for men made it possible for hackers to remotely lock all the devices in use simultaneously.

The internet-linked sheath has no manual override, so owners might have been faced with the prospect of having to use a grinder or bolt cutter to free themselves from its metal clamp.
It's a bad idea of course, but made worse by having to include the manufacturer in all actions.
Quote:
The cage wirelessly connects to a smartphone via a Bluetooth signal, which is used to trigger the device's lock-and-clamp mechanism.

But to achieve this, the software relies on sending commands to a computer server used by the manufacturer.
retina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-07, 00:53   #333
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

236058 Posts

kladner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-07, 01:39   #334
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

3·5·7·37 Posts

Quote:
https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-54436575 It's a bad idea of course, but made worse by having to include the manufacturer in all actions.
(my emphasis)
Quote:
Qiui's Cellmate Chastity Cage is sold online for about $190 (£145) and is marketed as a way for owners to give a partner control over access to their body.
IMO this is a poor substitute for trust or commitment.
Dr Sardonicus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-07, 03:34   #335
retina
Undefined

"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

10110111111012 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Sardonicus View Post
(my emphasis)
Quote:
Qiui's Cellmate Chastity Cage is sold online for about $190 (£145) and is marketed as a way for owners to give a partner control over access to their body.
IMO this is a poor substitute for trust or commitment.
Agreed. But the statement in the quote isn't correct. It gives the manufacturer control, and allows the partner to ask the manufacturer to manipulate the controls.

And naturally by "manufacturer", it really means all the staff that work there, and all hackers, and all "third party contractors", and the web hosting facility, and all MITMs that can spoof a SSL cert, etc.
Old 2020-10-07, 09:00   #336
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter

Jun 2011
Thailand

22FC16 Posts

Either way, that's a stupid idea. Why should everybody on the web know when I put on or take off my chastity belt? On the extreme, that's despicable and abject, it makes me feel like they tell me I am an animal and can't control myself.
(I may be, haha, but don't tell that to my face)

Last fiddled with by LaurV on 2020-10-07 at 09:03
LaurV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-18, 09:15   #337
Nick

Dec 2012
The Netherlands

32·132 Posts

How smart devices are exploited for domestic abuse
BBC article: https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-54554408
Nick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-19, 12:45   #338
retina
Undefined

"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

5·11·107 Posts

Have fun and make profit from tricking the Tesla car autopilot system into doing your bidding. All you have to do is hack into the IoT billboard systems and inject your desired adversarial images.

https://www.wired.com/story/tesla-mo...hantom-images/
Quote:
[Researchers] previously revealed that they could use split-second light projections on roads to successfully trick Tesla's driver-assistance systems into automatically stopping without warning when its camera sees spoofed images of road signs or pedestrians. In new research, they've found they can pull off the same trick with just a few frames of a road sign injected on a billboard's video. And they warn that if hackers hijacked an internet-connected billboard to carry out the trick, it could be used to cause traffic jams or even road accidents while leaving little evidence behind.
Old 2020-10-21, 13:40   #339
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

3·5·7·37 Posts

Quote:
Have fun and make profit from tricking the Tesla car autopilot system into doing your bidding. All you have to do is hack into the IoT billboard systems and inject your desired adversarial images.

https://www.wired.com/story/tesla-mo...hantom-images/
Quote:
[Researchers] previously revealed that they could use split-second light projections on roads to successfully trick Tesla's driver-assistance systems into automatically stopping without warning when its camera sees spoofed images of road signs or pedestrians. In new research, they've found they can pull off the same trick with just a few frames of a road sign injected on a billboard's video. And they warn that if hackers hijacked an internet-connected billboard to carry out the trick, it could be used to cause traffic jams or even road accidents while leaving little evidence behind.
Reminds me of an SF story, Something in the City (Novelette, author Colin Kapp, got the cover illustration of the November 1984 ANALOG).
Dr Sardonicus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-24, 10:02   #340
retina
Undefined

"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

5·11·107 Posts

Big corps always place themselves above their customers lusers. Apple is no exception:

https://medium.com/tripmode/apple-st...s-9dc83c5a9c5b
Quote:
Apple started enforcing an “exclusion list” of 56 Apple apps and processes in macOS Big Sur, that make them bypass oversight and control from application-level firewalls. This list, which has not been announced or documented by Apple, appeared in macOS Catalina.
You are just the lowly user. How dare you think you should have any control over the things you bought. You might have paid money for it, but you sure are not it's owner. It answers to someone else.
Old 2020-10-24, 11:29   #341
xilman
Bamboozled!

"𒉺𒌌𒇷𒆷𒀭"
May 2003
Down not across

289916 Posts

Quote:
Big corps always place themselves above their customers lusers. Apple is no exception:

https://medium.com/tripmode/apple-st...s-9dc83c5a9c5b You are just the lowly user. How dare you think you should have any control over the things you bought. You might have paid money for it, but you sure are not it's owner. It answers to someone else.
Indeed. If you want something done properly, do it yourself.

Why do you think I run my own firewalls?
xilman is offline   Reply With Quote