mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Extra Stuff > Soap Box

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2020-10-01, 23:38   #1299
storm5510
Random Account
 
storm5510's Avatar
 
Aug 2009
U.S.A.

1,693 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckerkao View Post
Neither Biden or Trump will be the best choice. Both men are in their 70s...
There is a decent chance one or the other would die while in office. Trump is 74 and Biden is 77. I believe the last POTUS to die from natural causes while in office was Franklin Roosevelt in 1945 at age 63. WWII wore him down to nearly nothing.

Perhaps there should be an age limit on who can run. How about no one at, or over, age 65. Anyone reaching age 65 while in office would complete their term. If re-elected, Trump would be 78 when he is done. Biden would be 81. If Biden were to be re-elected to a second term, then he would finish at 85. Many felt John McCain was too old when he ran for office in 2008. He was 71 at that time.
storm5510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-01, 23:50   #1300
Xyzzy
 
Xyzzy's Avatar
 
"Mike"
Aug 2002

2×3,931 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckerkao View Post
Neither Biden or Trump will be the best choice. Both men are in their 70s. Barack Obama is much younger but he's out of his turns. Wish there can be some strong candidates coming up 4 years later.
We hope that Mr. Obama is appointed to the SC someday.
Xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-02, 00:02   #1301
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502
 
Uncwilly's Avatar
 
"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

3×13×229 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by storm5510 View Post
I believe the last POTUS to die from natural causes while in office was Franklin Roosevelt in 1945 at age 63. WWII wore him down to nearly nothing.
A stroke from a burst aneurysm can strike younger people without major stress (Grant Imahara for example). FDR had a pre-existing condition of polio. Churchill was much older than FDR and was in a more stressful location.

Quote:
If re-elected, Trump would be 78 when he is done. Biden would be 81. If Biden were to be re-elected to a second term, then he would finish at 85.
US life expectancy for a white male of 75 is 11.2 more years. For an 80 year old, 8.3. (2017 data)
https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvsr/n...r68_07-508.pdf
Uncwilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-02, 01:11   #1302
Dr Sardonicus
 
Dr Sardonicus's Avatar
 
Feb 2017
Nowhere

23×5×97 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncwilly View Post
A stroke from a burst aneurysm can strike younger people without major stress (Grant Imahara for example). FDR had a pre-existing condition of polio.
FDR also had high blood pressure, for which there was no effective drug treatment at the time. He was also a smoker (up to two packs a day). I'm not sure what was known then about how bad smoking is for someone with high blood pressure.

The incumbent C-I-C does not smoke or drink. The only "pre-existing conditions" of a medical nature I am aware of are bone spurs, which may have gone away like magic after they benefited his health by keeping from being sent to Vietnam, and obesity, which he treats by claiming he's an inch taller than his NY driver's license says he is.

Many of Biden's detractors claim he has dementia, but I don't think he does.

Both candidates have noticeable cognitive decline, which is a normal part of aging.

Quote:
Originally Posted by storm5510 View Post
There is a decent chance one or the other would die while in office.
If you think it reasonably likely either candidate would fail to survive his term, it seems to me your next consideration is, which of the two vice-presidential candidates you would prefer succeed to the office.

Quote:
Perhaps there should be an age limit on who can run. How about no one at, or over, age 65. Anyone reaching age 65 while in office would complete their term. If re-elected, Trump would be 78 when he is done. Biden would be 81. If Biden were to be re-elected to a second term, then he would finish at 85. Many felt John McCain was too old when he ran for office in 2008. He was 71 at that time.
I don't think a fixed age limit would help, certainly not if the point is to avoid having presidents die of natural causes while in office.

The real issue is the candidate's fitness to serve. Some conditions, though not medical in nature and not age-related, may be relevant. Say, just to pull an example from thin air, narcissistic personality disorder.

Last fiddled with by Dr Sardonicus on 2020-10-02 at 01:11 Reason: xifgin stopy
Dr Sardonicus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-02, 02:12   #1303
kladner
 
kladner's Avatar
 
"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

100111100001012 Posts
Default

Quote:
Both candidates have noticeable cognitive decline, which is a normal part of aging.
I have cognitive decline which I notice at sixty-seven-plus years. I'm not running for prez, though. I was irritated that Biden did not push back sooner. I don't like him at all, but we are in the classic two-party trap of Worst and Worster.

With Biden there would not be the level of overt insanity which Rump spews. Joe is of a more classic mode of soothing platitudes, blithe promises, corporate coddling, and endless wars.
kladner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-02, 02:37   #1304
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter
 
LaurV's Avatar
 
Jun 2011
Thailand

895310 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by storm5510 View Post
the last POTUS to die from natural causes <...> was Franklin Roosevelt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncwilly View Post
A stroke from a burst aneurysm can strike younger people without major stress (Grant Imahara for example). FDR had a pre-existing condition of polio.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Sardonicus View Post
FDR also had high blood pressure, for which there was no effective drug treatment at the time. He was also a smoker (up to two packs a day).
What are you guys trying to cover?

Last fiddled with by LaurV on 2020-10-02 at 03:57
LaurV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-02, 03:53   #1305
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter
 
LaurV's Avatar
 
Jun 2011
Thailand

895310 Posts
Default

This may be for the silly jokes thread, but because you are discussing age...

(from the web, plus a bit of editing)

An old man and his wife were getting on a bit, the old man's hearing had gone a while ago but now things had stopped working downstairs too.
The wife said to him "Gerald" for that was his name, "Gerald, I have womanly needs, you need to go to doctor. Maybe we can get you some Viagra".
"What?" replied Gerald
"Doctor!" shouted his wife...
So later that day at the doctor's office. The wife explains the marital problem that poor Gerald is having.
"Hmm this is serious" said the doctor.
"What?!" asked Gerald
"He said it's serious!" replied the wife.
The doctor continued "I am going to need to do some tests. I'll need the full works; a blood sample, a urine sample, a faecal sample and a sperm sample".
"What he says?!" asked Gerald....
The wife replied "HE NEEDS YOUR UNDERPANTS!"

Last fiddled with by LaurV on 2020-10-02 at 03:55
LaurV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-02, 05:28   #1306
firejuggler
 
firejuggler's Avatar
 
Apr 2010
Over the rainbow

2·17·73 Posts
Default

hrmmm
Donald and Melania seem to have caugh the coronavirus.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/02/u...ump-covid.html
firejuggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-02, 05:53   #1307
kladner
 
kladner's Avatar
 
"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

278516 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by firejuggler View Post
hrmmm
Donald and Melania seem to have caugh the coronavirus.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/02/u...ump-covid.html
Thanks for the news. May they pass it to Pence, Pompeo, Devos, and Barr. I hope they don't all get TOO sick: just sick ENOUGH.

Last fiddled with by kladner on 2020-10-02 at 05:56 Reason: another deserving target, starting with "D".
kladner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-02, 12:21   #1308
rogue
 
rogue's Avatar
 
"Mark"
Apr 2003
Between here and the

10111100100112 Posts
Default

IMO, it would be a good thing for this country if one of them got very sick, not necessarily enough to be put onto a ventilator, but sick enough for Trump to finally admit how dangerous this virus can be.

Unfortunately if they have no symptoms or only mild symptoms the Republicans will continue to claim that the virus is no worse than a cold (fake news) or that hydrochloroquin saved the president or that his faith () protected him.

We should expect his supporters to use this "as proof" that masks are ineffective.

I'm waiting for someone on the right to claim that the Democrats or Chinese infiltrated a rally in order to give it to him.
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-02, 14:10   #1309
Dr Sardonicus
 
Dr Sardonicus's Avatar
 
Feb 2017
Nowhere

23×5×97 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue View Post
IMO, it would be a good thing for this country if one of them got very sick, not necessarily enough to be put onto a ventilator, but sick enough for Trump to finally admit how dangerous this virus can be.

Unfortunately if they have no symptoms or only mild symptoms the Republicans will continue to claim that the virus is no worse than a cold (fake news) or that hydrochloroquin saved the president or that his faith () protected him.

We should expect his supporters to use this "as proof" that masks are ineffective.

I'm waiting for someone on the right to claim that the Democrats or Chinese infiltrated a rally in order to give it to him.
(1) It seems he admitted to Bob Woodward -- in recorded interviews -- that he believed the virus was dangerous, but downplayed it publicly so as not to panic people. When the interviews were made public, he denied having said he'd downplayed it.

(2),(3) Agree.

(4) Interesting idea, but I doubt it. Supporters are loathe to admit the possibility of rallies being responsible for transmitting the virus. If anyone suggested such a thing WRT Herman Cain and the Tulsa rally, I haven't heard about it. Besides, the AP story says
Quote:
On Friday, Trump had been scheduled to receive an intelligence briefing, attend a fundraiser and hold another campaign rally in Sanford, Florida. But just after 1 a.m., the White House released a revised schedule with only one event: a phone call on "COVID-19 support to vulnerable seniors."

Trump's announcement came hours after he confirmed that Hope Hicks, one of his most trusted and longest-serving aides, had been diagnosed with the virus Thursday. Hicks began feeling mild symptoms during the plane ride home from a rally in Minnesota on Wednesday evening, according to an administration official who spoke on condition of anonymity to disclose private information. She was isolated from other passengers aboard the plane, the person said.
Time to bring back an oldie-but-goodie:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue on 2020-03-13 View Post
So what are the chances of:
  • Trump not contracting the virus and the evangelicals claiming it to be proof of his godhood.
  • Trump contracting the virus and blaming the liberals, MSM, Chinese, Mexicans, etc.
  • Trump contracting the virus but surviving and the evangelicals claiming it is because they prayed for him.
  • Trump dying from the virus and the evangelicals painting him as a martyr.
Dr Sardonicus is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Latest Supreme Court Vagrancy chappy Soap Box 52 2016-05-27 00:38
What does net neutrality mean for the future? jasong jasong 1 2015-04-26 08:55
Future directions paulunderwood NeRDs 7 2015-01-07 02:26
Galactic alphabet, commander keen trilogy Raman Hobbies 25 2013-04-03 23:30
15k Future? PrimeFun Lounge 21 2003-07-25 02:50

All times are UTC. The time now is 15:47.

Tue Dec 1 15:47:31 UTC 2020 up 82 days, 12:58, 3 users, load averages: 3.14, 2.32, 2.02

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum has received and complied with 0 (zero) government requests for information.

Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.2 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation.
A copy of the license is included in the FAQ.