mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Math Stuff > Tales From the Crypt(o)

Old 2020-03-10, 00:03   #210
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

2×1,523 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulunderwood View Post
To be fair, he did tell the rozzers to " off".
"The Rozzers?" Huh, obviously a slang term for police. I've heard "Bobby" and "peeler" (both from Sir Robert Peel), but "Rozzers" is a new one on me. I have heard "Bobby" used almost as a term of endearment, but not "peeler." Let's see here. "The nice Rozzer." Nope, doesn't scan. "The Rozzer is your friend." Nope, doesn't scan.

Hmm, a £90 fine for "public swearing." What, they gave him a 10% discount?

Quote:
However, I deplore this sort of invasive technology. They won't be happy until they have a probe up your ae.
Also in London, a group called the "Dazzle Club" is using makeup to try to thwart facial recognition equipment: With painted faces, artists fight facial recognition tech
Quote:
Opposition to algorithmic surveillance is not limited to Britain. Russia activists were reportedly arrested last month for holding a similar face paint protest over Moscow's facial recognition cameras. Hong Kong pro-democracy activists routinely use face masks in street protests to hide their identities. Rights groups in Serbia and Uganda have opposed government projects to install Chinese-supplied cameras.

Last fiddled with by Dr Sardonicus on 2020-03-10 at 00:05 Reason: Missing )
Dr Sardonicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-03-10, 00:33   #211
paulunderwood

Sep 2002
Database er0rr

32·349 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Sardonicus View Post
Also in London, a group called the "Dazzle Club" is using makeup to try to thwart facial recognition equipment: With painted faces, artists fight facial recognition tech
The Guardian has a month old article about The Dazzle Club.

What lengths do we have to go to? Long hair to hide ears or false ears. Painted faces. Faces projected onto your real one. Infra red glasses to dazzle the facial recognizing cameras. Those covid-19 surgical masks must be playing havoc too. But there are more ways to biometrisize the population, such as gait. We are heading toward or have arrived at a dystopia Orwell could not have imagined.

Here is an audio file by The Guardian. Yikes! Yandex sounds like a FSB tool.

Do you really want some paedophile copper scanning your kid?

Last fiddled with by paulunderwood on 2020-03-10 at 01:50
paulunderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-03-10, 13:17   #212
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

2·1,523 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulunderwood View Post
<snip>

What lengths do we have to go to? Long hair to hide ears or false ears. Painted faces. Faces projected onto your real one. Infra red glasses to dazzle the facial recognizing cameras.
<snip>
Trying to hide, eh? Must be guilty of something! Lock 'em up.

Quote:
Here is an audio file by The Guardian. Yikes! Yandex sounds like a FSB tool.
Yandex. Russian? Must be fine. I'm sure any of Russia's stooges would be happy to tell us so.

Hmm, I see you can listen to these podcasts with a smart phone app. I'm sure that's fine, too.

Quote:
Do you really want some paedophile copper scanning your kid?
"Some paedophile copper?" Hmm. I wonder... <google google>

Sure enough! Ugh. Paedophile who joined police force to abuse children was suspect in rape and grooming cases before being recruited.

The same search turned up a case in Russia in which the offender got exactly what he deserved: 11-YEAR-OLD GIRL FENDS OFF PEDOPHILE POLICEMAN BY BEATING HIM WITH SCOOTER
Quote:
After returning to her apartment building, she was approached by a man who dropped his pants and tried to pursue her into the elevator. Luckily, she had a scooter on hand and swung it into the assailant's groin, sending him crumpling to the floor, the newspaper said.
Dr Sardonicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-03-18, 02:43   #213
ewmayer
2ω=0

Sep 2002
República de California

7·1,559 Posts

Working From Home? Zoom Tells Your Boss If You’re Not Paying Attention }Vice
Quote:
During the COVID-19 pandemic, millions of Americans will be forced to work, play, and learn from home for the foreseeable future. Such a massive shift will lean not only on shaky and expensive U.S. broadband networks, but popular teleconferencing programs that often don’t quite work as advertised. Zoom in particular has seen a flood of new users, and the company’s stock has jumped roughly 20 percent since the COVID-19 outbreak began. But as new users flock to the platform for work, they should be aware of a few things: namely, the company’s data collection, its shaky privacy policy, and the fact your boss knows when you’re not giving them your undivided attention. Zoom offers users a feature called ‘attention tracking.’ According to the Zoom website the feature—which can be disabled if the chat administrator allows it—will track if participants have clicked away from the active Zoom window for more than half a minute.
When it comes to ratcheting up all forms of surveillance, never let a crisis go to waste!
ewmayer is offline   Reply With Quote