mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > Software

Old 2008-07-11, 10:13   #1
tha

Dec 2002

25×33 Posts
Default starting mprime at boot time on a multicore pc

I am trying to start up mprime at boot time but have not been able to do it the way it should be done.

Currently I start up mprime when a user logs in using the sessions functionality. I want to start at boot time however, regardless of users being logged in or not.

I use the latest version of Ubuntu (which is Debian based) on a Quad core processor. I saw some scripts posted here, but they don't seem to work on multiprocessor machines, since mprime still needs to be started up 4 times, each time with a different affinity. The script only allows only one copy.

Anyone been succesful starting mprime at boot on a multiprocessor machine?
tha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-11, 11:39   #2
TimSorbet
Account Deleted

"Tim Sorbera"
Aug 2006
San Antonio, TX USA

11×389 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tha View Post
I am trying to start up mprime at boot time but have not been able to do it the way it should be done.

Currently I start up mprime when a user logs in using the sessions functionality. I want to start at boot time however, regardless of users being logged in or not.

I use the latest version of Ubuntu (which is Debian based) on a Quad core processor. I saw some scripts posted here, but they don't seem to work on multiprocessor machines, since mprime still needs to be started up 4 times, each time with a different affinity. The script only allows only one copy.

Anyone been succesful starting mprime at boot on a multiprocessor machine?
Perhaps you could have four folders of mprime and run four copies of the mentioned script. I haven't used mprime and don't know what script you're talking about, but I do have experience with Prime95...hope I'm not saying anything that will give you problems or just plain won't work.
TimSorbet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-11, 16:31   #3
tha

Dec 2002

25×33 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-Geek View Post
Perhaps you could have four folders of mprime and run four copies of the mentioned script. I haven't used mprime and don't know what script you're talking about, but I do have experience with Prime95...hope I'm not saying anything that will give you problems or just plain won't work.
I don't know, that seems like a workaround just like my current solution. Best possible strategy would be a mprime version that could handle multiple threads like prime95. Since that is not available the next best thing would be starting up four instances at boot time each with it's own affinity. So I hope someone has done that and can help me.
tha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-11, 17:07   #4
TimSorbet
Account Deleted

"Tim Sorbera"
Aug 2006
San Antonio, TX USA

11×389 Posts

Quote:
I don't know, that seems like a workaround just like my current solution. Best possible strategy would be a mprime version that could handle multiple threads like prime95. Since that is not available the next best thing would be starting up four instances at boot time each with it's own affinity. So I hope someone has done that and can help me.
Does mprime 25.6 not support more threads?
ftp://mersenne.org/gimps/mprime256.tar.gz
TimSorbet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-12, 09:44   #5
ET_
Banned

"Luigi"
Aug 2002
Team Italia

3×1,619 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-Geek View Post
Does mprime 25.6 not support more threads?
ftp://mersenne.org/gimps/mprime256.tar.gz
It does :-)

Luigi
ET_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-28, 19:12   #6
pegaso56

Oct 2006
Rosario, Argentina

2516 Posts
Default Possible bug in mprime?

I was running an exponent for nearly 100 days in my Athlon64 under opensuse. When the exponent reached 38670000, mprime reset from 0 and started again. Anyone knows something similar??, ty
pegaso56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-15, 23:38   #7
joblack

Oct 2008
n00bville

10111000002 Posts

Quote:
Use the .27 version ... you can use a new init script (normally in /etc/init.d ) and create a softlink in the init directory (/etc/rc2.d in debian).
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote