Feb 2017
Nowhere

22×3×7×53 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xilman View Post
El Paso Walmart shooting victim dies, death toll now 23
Quote:
April 26, 2020
A man shot in the Aug. 3 attack targeting Latinos in an El Paso Walmart died after months in the hospital, raising the death toll from the attack to 23, according to a hospital official.

"After a nearly nine-month fight, our hearts are heavy as we report Guillermo 'Memo' Garcia, our last remaining patient being treated from the El Paso shooting, has passed away," said Del Sol Medical Center CEO David Shimp.

Garcia and his wife Jessica Coca Garcia were fundraising for their daughter's soccer team in the Walmart parking lot when the suspected gunman opened fire that Saturday morning.
Dr Sardonicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-04-27, 16:35   #695
xilman
Bamboozled!

"𒉺𒌌𒇷𒆷𒀭"
May 2003
Down not across

2×17×313 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Sardonicus View Post
Thanks for reminding me because it led me back to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinus_canariensis

A few years ago I brung back a cone from La Palma and planted the~ 5 seeds contained within. Three grew, two of which were passed on to friends. Mine is thriving, is about 50cm high, and is now growing at >10cm each year. No idea how many other individuals are alive in the UK but guess it is fewer than 1000 and could well be as few as a dozen or so.

I'll take a picture RSN and post it here.
xilman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-04-28, 02:08   #696
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

1015810 Posts

Quote:
Mine is thriving, is about 50cm high, and is now growing at >10cm each year.
Impressive, and gratifying for the grower, I am sure!
kladner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-05-02, 13:03   #697
tServo

"Marv"
May 2009
near the Tannhäuser Gate

24×3×13 Posts

Hats off to Canada. Two weeks after a mass murder they ban assault weapons. I loved Trudeau’s comment “I’m banning these weapons because Canadians need more than thoughts and prayers.”
tServo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-05-02, 13:48   #698
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

2×3×1,693 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tServo View Post
Hats off to Canada. Two weeks after a mass murder they ban assault weapons. I loved Trudeau’s comment “I’m banning these weapons because Canadians need more than thoughts and prayers.”
Kudos! Bravo!

'Twill be a long time coming for us who are South of that border.
kladner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-09-22, 05:45   #699
retina
Undefined

"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

5×1,223 Posts

12-year-old boy suspended for 5 days, deputies visit house after toy gun seen during online class
Quote:
“He was in tears when the cops came. He was just in tears. He was scared. We all were scared. I literally was scared for his life,” said Curtis Elliot.
Everyone knew is was clearly a toy gun, so why the ridiculous overreaction? Why even react at all? There is nothing to react to.

Wouldn't they be happy the child was just trying to protect himself?

Also: Why do the police invoke such a reaction into the populace?

Guns are for your protection, right? And the police are also for your protection, right? So combining the two should be an awesome outcome, right? No one will ever die or be injured ever again, right? So everyone should be super-happy when the police show-up, and feel awesomely safe and secure.

But wait, there's more:

Oregon man shoots self in groin while showing off gun in supermarket checkout line, cops say
Quote:
An Oregon man is on the mend after police say he accidentally shot himself in the groin while flaunting a concealed handgun at a Lincoln City supermarket.
So now guns are a vanity crutch also? How come it didn't protect him? That's weird. Almost as if the for-your-protection claims aren't true or something.

Last fiddled with by retina on 2020-09-22 at 05:46
retina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-09-22, 11:26   #700
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

105448 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retina View Post
12-year-old boy suspended for 5 days, deputies visit house after toy gun seen during online class Everyone knew is was clearly a toy gun, so why the ridiculous overreaction? Why even react at all? There is nothing to react to.
I noticed the following (my emphasis) in a Faux News report:
Quote:
The El Paso County Sheriff's Office said although the teacher thought it was a toy gun authorities still did a welfare check on Isaiah Elliott without parental notification.

"It was really frightening and upsetting for me as a parent, especially as the parent of an African-American young man, especially given what's going on in our country right now," Curtis Elliott, Isaiah's father, told KDVR.
I'm sure the young man's skin color had nothing to do with it, of course.

Other little tidbits:
Quote:
The toy gun was neon green and black with an orange tip featuring the words on the handle: "Zombie Hunter."
Well, there you have it. Obviously a threat to supporters of the POTUS. No wonder they called in the deputies! The orange tip signifies that it's a toy gun. So you see, race had nothing to do with it. The teacher must be colorblind, haw haw!
Quote:
Reports said the school district, the Widefield District #3, refused to give the Elliott family the recording of the online class, but authorities showed the family a video of the class from a recording from a police body camera.
Yeah, I'll bet they refused.
Old 2020-11-10, 01:42   #701
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

22×3×7×53 Posts

Man charged with supplying gun in deadly Wisconsin protest
Quote:
KENOSHA, Wis. (AP) — Prosecutors have charged a Wisconsin man with supplying the gun that police say an Illinois teen used to kill two people during a protest over police brutality in August.

Online court records show prosecutors in Kenosha charged 19-year-old Dominick Black on Nov. 3 with two felony counts of supplying a dangerous weapon to a minor causing death. Black could face up to 25 years in prison if convicted on both counts.
<snip>
Black told police that when they went to his stepfather's house he was concerned about Rittenhouse having the gun because he wasn't 18, but if he told Rittenhouse he couldn't have it Rittenhouse "would have thrown a fit," the reports said.
Old 2020-12-27, 15:07   #702
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

445210 Posts

Shooting at Illinois bowling alley leaves 3 dead, 3 injured
Quote:
ROCKFORD, Ill. (AP) — A gunman opened fire inside an Illinois bowling alley, killing three people and injuring three others Saturday night in what authorities believe was a random attack.

A 37-year-old male suspect was in custody after the shooting at Don Carter Lanes, Rockford police said in a social media post.
EDIT: In a followup story (I removed the suspect's name)
Quote:
ROCKFORD, Ill. (AP) — A U.S. serviceman from Florida has been charged in a shooting at an Illinois bowling alley that left three people dead and three wounded, authorities said Sunday.
<snip>
was taken into custody shortly after the shooting at around 7 p.m., Rockford Police Chief Dan O'Shea said at a news conference Sunday morning.

"I am very confident the officers that were on the scene in the building were able to stop further violence," O'Shea said.

He said the three who died were all men, aged 73, 65 and 69, but did not provide names.

Additionally, he said, a 14-year-old boy was shot in the face and airlifted to hospital in Madison in stable condition, and a 16-year-old girl who was shot in the shoulder was treated at a hospital and released. A 62-year-old man underwent surgery overnight after suffering multiple gunshot wounds and is in critical condition, the chief said.

The suspect has no known ties to the victims, O'Shea said.

Last fiddled with by Dr Sardonicus on 2020-12-27 at 18:48 Reason: As indicated
Old 2020-12-27, 21:00   #703
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

22×3×7×53 Posts

Authorities: Utah’s Ty Jordan died in accidental shooting
Quote:
DALLAS (AP) — Ty Jordan, a star freshman running back for the University of Utah, died at a Dallas-area hospital after accidently shooting himself, authorities said Sunday.

University officials announced Jordan's death Saturday, a day after he was named Pac-12's newcomer of the year, but did not release details.
Old 2021-01-04, 17:14   #704
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

22·3·7·53 Posts

The news story below brings to mind something I heard many years ago in a radio interview with a police officer. They were talking about using firearms in defense of one's home. The officer told of a woman who asked about it, to which he responded by asking her if she would point the gun at the intruder and say "Hold it!" or something like that. The woman had said she would.

To which the officer had replied, "You'd be dead." Meaning that, in such a situation, an intruder might also be armed, and would almost certainly be very jumpy and likely to act impulsively out of desperation if confronted. So, he had explained to the woman, if you choose to defend your home with a gun, you have to be prepared, literally, to shoot first and ask questions later.

Sheriff: Pastor dead, 2 hurt in shooting at Texas church
Quote:
Smith said police were initially pursuing the man because he was suspected of brandishing a shotgun through the sunroof of a Volkswagen Jetta he was driving Saturday. Authorities believe the suspect, identified as 21-year-old Mytrez Deunte Woolen of Marshall, Texas, broke into the church after police had left the area around 2 a.m. Sunday.

Pastor Mark Allen McWilliams, 62, drew a gun and ordered Woolen to stop, Smith said, but Woolen grabbed the weapon and began shooting with it. McWilliams was killed, a second person was injured by gunfire and another was hurt in a fall.