mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Extra Stuff > Soap Box

Old 2019-12-11, 13:17   #672
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

2·3·1,693 Posts

The description sounds like a cartel shootout south of the border.
kladner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-12-11, 15:12   #673
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

22×11×101 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retina View Post
What a mess the USA is in. They don't want to admit that guns are a problem. They just keep offering platitudes, those useless "thoughts and prayers" nonsense, as if it will make everything better.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...olice-standoff

None so blind as those that refuse to see.
Il Duce:
Quote:
Just received a briefing on the horrific shootout that took place in Jersey City, NJ. Our thoughts & prayers are w/ the victims & their families during this very difficult & tragic time. We will continue to monitor the situation as we assist local & state officials on the ground.
New Jersey Gov. Phil Murphy:
Quote:
I have been briefed on the unfolding situation in Jersey City. Our thoughts and prayers are with the men and women of the Jersey City Police Department, especially with the officers shot during this standoff, and with the residents and schoolchildren currently under lockdown. I have every confidence in our law enforcement professionals to ensure the safety of the community and resolve this situation. Today reminds us of their bravery and the sacrifices they, and their families, make for our communities.
New Jersey Attorney General Gurbir S. Grewal:
Quote:
Please keep the officers of the Jersey City Police Department in your thoughts and prayers as they work to resolve the situation," Grewal said in a statement. "We remain, as always, extraordinarily grateful for their service and their sacrifice.
U.S. Sen. Cory Booker, D-N.J.:
Quote:
Closely monitoring the active shooter situation in Jersey City. For folks in the area, please continue to avoid Martin Luther King Drive for now.—it's not safe.

Grateful for the first responders who quickly arrived on the scene, and praying for the officers shot in the standoff.
New Jersey State Policemen's Benevolent Association:
Quote:
Officers have come under attack and we have several wounded. Our hearts are heavy and the violence is not over. We need prayers.
The really sad part of calling for "thoughts and prayers" is that it is essentially the same as the attitude in the wake of a natural calamity, that there was nothing anyone could have done to stop it from happening. With natural calamities, of course, this is generally true, although there are things people can -- and will -- do to prevent death, injury, and destruction from foreseeable natural disasters ("acts of God") which cannot be prevented or controlled.

Mass shootings and major gun battles, however, are intrinsically man-made calamities. Viewing them in the same way as "acts of God" seems to me to be blasphemous. Treating them as such means trying to ameliorate their effects by turning every school, church, restaurant and store into an armed camp. Checkpoints at every street corner. Video monitoring everywhere, all the time.

It seems to me that the idolatrous worship of firearms in furtherance of promoting gun sales, under the protective coloration of the Sacred Second Amendment, has created a state of affairs inimical to at least two of the legitimate aims of government enumerated in the Preamble to the Constitution of the United States:
Quote:
promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity
Quote:
Originally Posted by kladner View Post
Yes indeedy. A whole lot like.

Last fiddled with by Dr Sardonicus on 2019-12-11 at 15:29 Reason: Adding another quotation
Dr Sardonicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-12-11, 17:57   #674
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

224068 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retina View Post
What a mess the USA is in. They don't want to admit that guns are a problem.
Many, many people and politicians in the USoA admit that guns are a problem.
Uncwilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-12-11, 18:29   #675
retina
Undefined

"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

6,113 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncwilly View Post
Many, many people and politicians in the USoA admit that guns are a problem.
But then they all these final words ... that they can't do anything about. Along the lines of Dr Sardonicus's previous post, people have been brainwashed into thinking that guns are some kind of necessity and that they need to invoke some imaginary being(s) to ask for help.
retina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-12-20, 02:09   #676
Xyzzy

"Mike"
Aug 2002

22×32×223 Posts

https://projects.oregonlive.com/ucc-shooting/gun-deaths
Xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-12-20, 17:48   #677
tServo

"Marv"
May 2009
near the Tannhäuser Gate

11578 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kladner View Post
Are you referring to the word "gub" ?
Maybe it comes from a VERY early Woody Allen movie "Take The Money and Run".
He plays a hapless, incompetent loser who drifts into a life of crime.
In one scene, he goes into a bank to rob it and hands the teller a hand written note that says
"Act natural, I'm pointing a gub at you" but the teller starts arguing with about the word which
looks like "gub". Pretty soon, everyone is looking at the note with Allen and arguing with him and each other.

His punishment is prison for 10 years in solitary confinement with an insurance salesman.
tServo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-12-20, 21:57   #678
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

224068 Posts

Would like to see the first two graphics also expressed in terms of guns owned/registered in those counties.

Last fiddled with by Uncwilly on 2019-12-20 at 21:57
Uncwilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-12-20, 22:21   #679
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

105348 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncwilly View Post
Would like to see the first two graphics also expressed in terms of guns owned/registered in those counties.
If you click on the link Read more about these maps and check out more related graphics just above the first map, you will find two links that may be pertinent:

licensed gun sellers per capita (maps)

and

The link between gun deaths and gun ownership: What we know
Quote:
It's surprising how little we know about the relationship between gun deaths and gun ownership, or the ability of states to curtail one by regulating the other.
Old 2019-12-21, 04:42   #680
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

1015810 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tServo View Post
Are you referring to the word "gub" ?
Maybe it comes from a VERY early Woody Allen movie "Take The Money and Run".
He plays a hapless, incompetent loser who drifts into a life of crime.
In one scene, he goes into a bank to rob it and hands the teller a hand written note that says
"Act natural, I'm pointing a gub at you" but the teller starts arguing with about the word which
looks like "gub". Pretty soon, everyone is looking at the note with Allen and arguing with him and each other.

His punishment is prison for 10 years in solitary confinement with an insurance salesman.
I was quoting that scene. The word 'gub' is a household joke here. As in, "The guvmint is comin' to take yer gubs away!"
kladner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-12-28, 02:17   #681
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

22×11×101 Posts

Aurora's Greg Zanis, known for making crosses for mass shooting victims across the country, is retiring
Quote:
Greg Zanis of Aurora, who has erected crosses for victims of mass shootings across the country, is retiring from the work that has often put him in the national spotlight.

He's made more than 27,000 crosses over the years as part of his Crosses for Losses ministry.

"I always felt this was my calling," Zanis said.

He said he believed his work "began to show a face of the victims" of shootings around America.

In the last year he's acknowledged his ministry became increasingly harder to do.

"I leave a piece of my heart behind each time I go," he told The Beacon-News last spring.

"I had a breaking point in El Paso," he said of the Aug. 3, 2019, mass shooting outside of a Walmart store in El Paso, Texas. A gunman shot and killed 22 people and injured 24 others.

"I hadn't slept for two days, it was 106 degrees and I collapsed from the pressure when I heard there were two more victims of the mass shooting," he said.

A trip earlier this month to the Naval Air Station in Pensacola, Florida, became a turning point, he said. Three people were killed and eight others were injured in a shooting there.

"I got as far as Indianapolis and turned back. I decided I wasn't going to do this anymore," he said.
<snip>
Zanis has approached Lutheran Charities of Northbrook about taking over his ministry.

"I feel it is not the end of the ministry. It is the end of me doing it," he said.

He may take a year to train those interested in picking up where he left off, he said.
Old 2019-12-29, 17:14   #682
xilman
Bamboozled!

"𒉺𒌌𒇷𒆷𒀭"
May 2003
Down not across

10,639 Posts

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-50936575

No further comment.
xilman is online now   Reply With Quote