mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > News

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2020-09-04, 00:06   #287
storm5510
Random Account
 
storm5510's Avatar
 
Aug 2009
U.S.A.

27318 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime95 View Post
Upgrade to build 4 and you'll be able to upload the proof that you did the work. This will make us even more confident in your double-check.
Something I tried and it seems to work. A proof created with gpuOwl can be placed in the Prime95 folder and it will be uploaded. I imagine others figured this out before I did.

storm5510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-09-04, 00:23   #288
kriesel
 
kriesel's Avatar
 
"TF79LL86GIMPS96gpu17"
Mar 2017
US midwest

7×17×37 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by storm5510 View Post
Something I tried and it seems to work. A proof created with gpuOwl can be placed in the Prime95 folder and it will be uploaded. I imagine others figured this out before I did.

George has been recommending it for a while as an alternative to primenet.py etc. See https://www.mersenneforum.org/showpo...0&postcount=26, https://www.mersenneforum.org/showpo...&postcount=220
I've hit a case 58000013 for which both the uploader.exe and prime95 are failing. Details shared with George by PM. Possibly it relates to already LLDC and the DC was me.

Last fiddled with by kriesel on 2020-09-04 at 00:26
kriesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-09-04, 01:02   #289
storm5510
Random Account
 
storm5510's Avatar
 
Aug 2009
U.S.A.

5D916 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriesel View Post
...I've hit a case 58000013 for which both the uploader.exe and prime95 are failing. Details shared with George by PM. Possibly it relates to already LLDC and the DC was me.
I looked at your results. You ran the LL-DC test in May and came back with the PRP recently. The server may be confused about your user-id more than anything else, in the second instance.

There may be another option. Use an archiver to break down the proof file into small pieces. They could be placed on a file-sharing location and the person receiving would get the credentials to retrieve it. Once received and reassembled, it could be submitted by whoever. I use WinRAR. It is great for handling archives. Just a thought...
storm5510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-09-04, 07:14   #290
kriesel
 
kriesel's Avatar
 
"TF79LL86GIMPS96gpu17"
Mar 2017
US midwest

7·17·37 Posts
Default

Per George the MD5 of the proof file did not match the value in the result line from gpuowl.log that I manually submitted. Proof generation was interrupted and resumed by a system bugcheck and restart. The results.txt did not include a result line for that exponent.

Last fiddled with by kriesel on 2020-09-04 at 07:16
kriesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-09-04, 08:03   #291
S485122
 
S485122's Avatar
 
Sep 2006
Brussels, Belgium

30428 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by storm5510 View Post
...
I use WinRAR. It is great for handling archives. Just a thought...
Instead of a trialware accompanied by nagware you should use the open-source freeware 7-zip. It can handle all kinds of formats ans is very performant.

Jacob
S485122 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-09-04, 08:08   #292
preda
 
preda's Avatar
 
"Mihai Preda"
Apr 2015

22408 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriesel View Post
Per George the MD5 of the proof file did not match the value in the result line from gpuowl.log that I manually submitted. Proof generation was interrupted and resumed by a system bugcheck and restart. The results.txt did not include a result line for that exponent.
That sounds like a [serious] GpuOwl bug. If you can put together the details for a "bug report" I can look into that to try to understand what happened.

Last fiddled with by preda on 2020-09-04 at 08:08
preda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-09-04, 12:42   #293
kriesel
 
kriesel's Avatar
 
"TF79LL86GIMPS96gpu17"
Mar 2017
US midwest

7×17×37 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by preda View Post
That sounds like a [serious] GpuOwl bug. If you can put together the details for a "bug report" I can look into that to try to understand what happened.
There's more about it at https://www.mersenneforum.org/showpo...6&postcount=18. It's (hopefully!) hard to reproduce since it involves a Windows bugcheck occurring due to an issue on a different gpu on the same system during the proof generation. If nothing else it provides confirmation of the value of increased error check measures such as the MD5.

Last fiddled with by kriesel on 2020-09-04 at 12:44
kriesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-09-04, 15:13   #294
storm5510
Random Account
 
storm5510's Avatar
 
Aug 2009
U.S.A.

101110110012 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by S485122 View Post
Instead of a trialware accompanied by nagware you should use the open-source freeware 7-zip. It can handle all kinds of formats ans is very performant.

Jacob
WinRAR is not trialware or nagware for me. I bought a license close to 20 years ago. I used it so much I thought that would be the proper thing to do. i have tried 7-Zip before. It does a good job, but does not have the features WinRAR has. To each, their own.
storm5510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-09-04, 15:56   #295
Happy5214
 
Happy5214's Avatar
 
"Alexander"
Nov 2008
The Alamo City

2×5×37 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by storm5510 View Post
There may be another option. Use an archiver to break down the proof file into small pieces. They could be placed on a file-sharing location and the person receiving would get the credentials to retrieve it. Once received and reassembled, it could be submitted by whoever. I use WinRAR. It is great for handling archives. Just a thought...
Quote:
Originally Posted by S485122 View Post
Instead of a trialware accompanied by nagware you should use the open-source freeware 7-zip. It can handle all kinds of formats ans is very performant.

Jacob
Linux doesn't have the best support for the RAR format due to its proprietary nature. Just use zip or gzip for maximum support. If a higher compression ratio than DEFLATE is important enough, an LZMA-based format like xz would provide a higher ratio.

Last fiddled with by Happy5214 on 2020-09-04 at 15:56 Reason: Remove unnecessary part of quote
Happy5214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-09-04, 17:05   #296
storm5510
Random Account
 
storm5510's Avatar
 
Aug 2009
U.S.A.

3·499 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy5214 View Post
Linux doesn't have the best support for the RAR format due to its proprietary nature. Just use zip or gzip for maximum support. If a higher compression ratio than DEFLATE is important enough, an LZMA-based format like xz would provide a higher ratio.
I only use RAR for my own storage purposes. Anything I send out, I use ZIP and leave the settings at their defaults.
storm5510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-09-05, 09:10   #297
Happy5214
 
Happy5214's Avatar
 
"Alexander"
Nov 2008
The Alamo City

2·5·37 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by storm5510 View Post
I only use RAR for my own storage purposes. Anything I send out, I use ZIP and leave the settings at their defaults.
I've gotten in the habit of doing personal archives in lzip (an LZMA-based compressor authored by Antonio Diaz Diaz, who maintains the GNU ed package I have an unhealthy obsession with), but to each their own.

Last fiddled with by Happy5214 on 2020-09-05 at 09:11
Happy5214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Your help wanted - Let's buy GIMPS a KNL development system! airsquirrels Hardware 313 2019-10-29 22:51
Is GMP-ECM still under active development? mathwiz GMP-ECM 0 2019-05-15 01:06
LLR 3.8.6 Development version Jean Penné Software 0 2011-06-16 20:05
LLR 3.8.5 Development version Jean Penné Software 6 2011-04-28 06:21
LLR 3.8.4 development version is available! Jean Penné Software 4 2010-11-14 17:32

All times are UTC. The time now is 14:52.

Fri Sep 18 14:52:44 UTC 2020 up 8 days, 12:03, 1 user, load averages: 1.55, 1.81, 1.72

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum has received and complied with 0 (zero) government requests for information.

Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.2 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation.
A copy of the license is included in the FAQ.