Old 2020-08-12, 10:00   #23
pinhodecarlos

"Carlos Pinho"
Oct 2011
Milton Keynes, UK

2·13·181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncwilly View Post
There are wind energy capture designs that have the spinning bits on a vertical axis. One involves a capstan like structure the funnels wind from any angle upward through a robust bladed device that looks like a boat propeller. Another takes funnel that gets turned into the wind by a tail and also sends it vertical. These designs also the heavy weight of the generator to be at ground level.

The traditional farm Western windmill can handle high winds well.
False, there’s a limit, read about Betz’s law.
pinhodecarlos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-08-12, 11:12   #24
M344587487

"Composite as Heck"
Oct 2017

24×3×13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kladner View Post
Thank you. I had been thinking about the same thing. It seems that ruggedness requirements might limit the size of turbines, but the high winds might make up for that in energy capture.

It's hard for me to imagine the design parameters for something that could survive and operate there.

How about a building-sized enclosure with intake shutters to direct/limit-as-needed the flow to internal dynamos? Here's some technical drawings as example (warning, google alert): Very, Technical
M344587487 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-08-12, 18:06   #25
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

112·71 Posts

Quote:
It's hard for me to imagine the design parameters for something that could survive and operate there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncwilly View Post
The traditional farm Western windmill can handle high winds well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinhodecarlos View Post
False, there’s a limit, read about Betz’s law.
My comments were addressing the survival bit, not the power generation at a high speed. Proper construction of a windmill on a derrick type tower as seen in "Old West" movies" is quite stout.
The other 2 designs I mention were designed to be hardy. The capstan style (which I can find a picture of at the moment) is very stout. And if the winds will be too strong, a shield can be rotated around from the leeward side to the windward side, to block the incoming air.
Uncwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-08-12, 19:13   #26
xilman
Bamboozled!

"𒉺𒌌𒇷𒆷𒀭"
May 2003
Down not across

72·11·19 Posts

Quote:
I am sorry to break this to you but that is a failure of your imagination.

Some people are trying to work out how to run a useful rover on the surface of Venus (https://www.space.com/steampunk-venu...-nasa-jpl.html) without much in the way semiconductor electronics. Clockwork plays a big role. I proposed the use of thermal phase-change materials for an optical component in thenavigation and obstacle avoidance sub-system.
xilman is offline   Reply With Quote