mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > PrimeNet > MISFIT

Old 2015-02-06, 07:10   #1
TheMawn

May 2013
East. Always East.

11×157 Posts
Default Help with Misfit

Hi, folks.

I've got my new X99 machine up and running and I'm looking forward to playing around with it. As part of this, I have made the resolution to actually start using Misfit but I was a bit overwhelmed by the options. I used the work calculator feature and that gave me settings for a lot of the things I don't understand. Anyway, I was able to get misfit to fetch work from GPU72 and then give it to the worktodo feeding my GPU which is currently chugging away fine, so I *imagine* that I have something that functions more or less.

The first thing I'm not seeing is any way to "link" worktodo/results files to a specific instance of mfaktx but now that I think of it, maybe that isn't even necessary to do? Is the allocation of a specific instance to a specific GPU still done with batch files or does MISFIT handle that?

I completely don't understand the CTRL-C section. Is this the only way to shut down a running instance? Can MISFIT run in tandem with a speed controller?

What is "Auto Update Stats" and what could possibly require contact with the server every 10 minutes (here I assume that the defaults are +/- sane)?

In the work fetch tab, I can set a pledge level AND set let GPU72 Decide? Which gets priority? If all I want to do is whatever makes sense (which might be 74 bits some times but 75 bits other times) how do I maintain that flexibility?
TheMawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-06, 13:13   #2
swl551

Aug 2012
New Hampshire

2·401 Posts

answers in RED

The first thing I'm not seeing is any way to "link" worktodo/results files to a specific instance of mfaktx but now that I think of it, maybe that isn't even necessary to do? Is the allocation of a specific instance to a specific GPU still done with batch files or does MISFIT handle that?

MISFIT interacts with the RESULTS.TXT and WORKTODO.TXT stored in each directory where you have MFAKTX running. Putting MISFIT in the same directory as a MFAKTX is not recommended since MISFIT can manipulate many MFAKTX installations. Double-Click a value in the ER,ED or Working columns and you will see file contents directly. (I guess that is your "link")

I completely don't understand the CTRL-C section. Is this the only way to shut down a running instance? Can MISFIT run in tandem with a speed controller?

CTRL-C is used to control the stopping of MFAKTx. If you kill a MFAKTx instance manually MISFIT will detect it as a stalled instance and alarm out. It is also a critical configuration if you use scheduling to stop/start MFAKTx instances. I use my speed controller outside of MISFIT all the time, but to be clear MISFIT does not interact with speed controller in any way.

What is "Auto Update Stats" and what could possibly require contact with the server every 10 minutes (here I assume that the defaults are +/- sane)?

It does not contact a server. It is updating all those on-screen statistics and work values with what is happening on YOUR PC

In the work fetch tab, I can set a pledge level AND set let GPU72 Decide? Which gets priority? If all I want to do is whatever makes sense (which might be 74 bits some times but 75 bits other times) how do I maintain that flexibility?
Let GPU72 decide is just that. You pass in values you are interested in but the end result is whatever GPU72 if favoring. Chalsall could change the algorithm for determining work assignments at any time and MISFIT does not care. If you want further information you should post on the GPU72 boards as the discussion of work assignments is a constant over there.

Well I hope that helps...

Last fiddled with by swl551 on 2015-02-06 at 13:32
swl551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-06, 18:19   #3
TheMawn

May 2013
East. Always East.

6BF16 Posts

Fantastic, thanks!
Old 2015-02-06, 20:08   #4
TheMawn

May 2013
East. Always East.

11×157 Posts

If I want to stop one specific instance of mfaktx but it has the same process name as another instance I don't want to stop, am I SOL?

Or is there a way to customize the process name that CTRL-C uses?
Old 2015-02-06, 21:48   #5
swl551

Aug 2012
New Hampshire

2×401 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMawn View Post
If I want to stop one specific instance of mfaktx but it has the same process name as another instance I don't want to stop, am I SOL?

Or is there a way to customize the process name that CTRL-C uses?
You can customize the process names by renaming one of the mfaktc.exe to something else, but MISFIT will still detect if the process is not updating checkpoint files. Of course you can disable Stall Detection and do everything outside of misfit.
swl551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-07, 01:08   #6
TheMawn

May 2013
East. Always East.

110101111112 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by swl551 View Post
You can customize the process names by renaming one of the mfaktc.exe to something else, but MISFIT will still detect if the process is not updating checkpoint files. Of course you can disable Stall Detection and do everything outside of misfit.
Okay. I think I've got it. I want to use a speed controller so I didn't specify an executable in the configuration, but I still specified the directory and it looks like it's communicating with worktodo.txt just fine.

Thanks.
Old 2015-02-07, 01:10   #7
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter

Jun 2011
Thailand

8,539 Posts

I use different folders for each mfaktc instance/card, and don't indicate the card in the ini file, but in command line. This way I can just create a folder, put mfaktc inside, set it accordingly, and duplicate that folder 100 times (I wish to have so many cards! :smile), then outside of these folders I have misfit and a startall.bat batch which says mainly variation of:
Code:
@echo off
color 0A

set /p choice="Are you sure you want to start new mfaktc instances? [y/n]: "
if %choice%==Y goto doit
if %choice%==y goto doit
goto getout

:doit
start "mfaktc20_1" /D mf_201 /I /LOW mf_201\mfaktc_201.exe -d 0
start "mfaktc20_2" /D mf_202 /I /LOW mf_202\mfaktc_202.exe -d 1
start "mfaktc20_3" /D mf_203 /I /LOW mf_203\mfaktc_203.exe -d 2
rem start "mfaktc20_4" /D mf_204 /I /LOW mf_204\mfaktc_204.exe -d 1
rem start "mfaktc20_5" /D mf_205 /I /LOW mf_205\mfaktc_205.exe -d 0
rem start "mfaktc20_6" /D mf_206 /I /LOW mf_206\mfaktc_206.exe -d 3
rem start "mfaktc20_7" /D mf_207 /I /LOW mf_207\mfaktc_207.exe -d 2
rem start "mfaktc20_8" /D mf_208 /I /LOW mf_208\mfaktc_208.exe -d 1
rem ..etc..

:getout
This I edit few times per year when I switch from this to that or play with cards, but the rest I use misfit to launch it. The additional question in the beginning helps in case I have all instances running and I mistakenly double click the bat with my drunk mouse - without the confirmation it will double all instances, resulting in slow computer and/or occasional driver crashes. Better safe than sorry. Of course, the batch can be more pro, to ask you about the cards and different work type, latency (for slow/fast mfactk, etc).

Also, renaming the windowzes like that allows me to address them individually when I want to stop them.

It works like a swiss clock.

Last fiddled with by LaurV on 2015-02-07 at 01:12
LaurV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-07, 04:01   #8
TheMawn

May 2013
East. Always East.

110101111112 Posts

Okay so for you Misfit is entirely a work fetching / reporting tool and you don't use it to manage your mfaktx instances?
Old 2015-02-24, 04:49   #9
TheMawn

May 2013
East. Always East.

11·157 Posts

Does anyone have a specific utility they use to merge a large number of text files? I was interested in looking through the misfit logs to see if I had found any factors yet (since I normally scanned through the 3-4 days worth of results in a single file before submitting), but all I found was a squintillion text files which I have no interest in sifting through one by one.
Old 2015-02-24, 05:15   #10
axn

Jun 2003

11F116 Posts

Quote:
Does anyone have a specific utility they use to merge a large number of text files? I was interested in looking through the misfit logs to see if I had found any factors yet (since I normally scanned through the 3-4 days worth of results in a single file before submitting), but all I found was a squintillion text files which I have no interest in sifting through one by one.
Code:
find "has a factor" *.*
?
axn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-24, 06:23   #11
Mark Rose

"/X\(‘-‘)/X\"
Jan 2013
Ͳօɾօղէօ

2×7×199 Posts

Quote:
cat *.txt > merged.txt

Even works in DOS.
Mark Rose is offline   Reply With Quote