mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > PrimeNet > MISFIT

Old 2013-03-21, 12:17   #1
Aramis Wyler

"Bill Staffen"
Jan 2013
Pittsburgh, PA, USA

22×89 Posts
Default Misfit feature request.

Between the work fetcher and the submission spider, my gpu work has never been more hands off. Only muck with my worktodos when I feel like mucking with the worktodos - good times.

But what I do have to spend more time than ever with these days is maintaining the p-1s for prime95. Maybe I should just stop trying to do p-1 for gpu72 and do p-1 work for GIMPS which already has an excellent work loader, but I like pulling them from gpu72 so if misfit could deal with working on p95's worktodo file, especially if it could load balance the p-1s in the cores, and extra especially if it could put all the stage1 work on some cores and stage2 on others, well. That would be a game changer there.
Aramis Wyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-21, 13:08   #2
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

899210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aramis Wyler View Post
But what I do have to spend more time than ever with these days is maintaining the p-1s for prime95. Maybe I should just stop trying to do p-1 for gpu72 and do p-1 work for GIMPS which already has an excellent work loader, but I like pulling them from gpu72 so if misfit could deal with working on p95's worktodo file, especially if it could load balance the p-1s in the cores, and extra especially if it could put all the stage1 work on some cores and stage2 on others, well. That would be a game changer there.
GPU72 already has a way of doing this for Prime95/mprime clients. Please see this thread for details.
chalsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-21, 13:18   #3
Aramis Wyler

"Bill Staffen"
Jan 2013
Pittsburgh, PA, USA

22×89 Posts

Gasp! Well isn't that incredibly usefull. Maybe we could have a note about that on the manual p-1 work fetcher page. :)

Last fiddled with by Aramis Wyler on 2013-03-21 at 13:18
Old 2013-03-21, 13:42   #4
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

25×281 Posts

Quote:
Gasp! Well isn't that incredibly usefull. Maybe we could have a note about that on the manual p-1 work fetcher page. :)
One "trick" / "bug workaround" you should know about... It seems that Prime95 sometimes doesn't follow its API spec to the letter. So, it's a good idea once you've configured the proxy is to change your computer's default worktype from P-1 to something else (like DC), tell it to communicate with the server, and then set the worktype back to P-1.

The problem doesn't occur often -- and only when the transition to the proxy is first done -- but there have been cases where DC work is assigned instead of the desired P-1 or LL if this process isn't done initially.

And, good idea about the note on the Manual assignment pages....
Old 2013-03-21, 14:25   #5
Aramis Wyler

"Bill Staffen"
Jan 2013
Pittsburgh, PA, USA

1011001002 Posts

Yeah, I will probably have to do something about the prime95 thing. I had used the 'quit gimps' option to make it stop fetching work from primenet at my office and at home when I started pulling all my work from gpu72. Now the cores will just sit idle if there is no work. When I get that fixed, I'll be sure to set the work types as p-1 as well.

Shame about the title of the other thread. I am diligent about reading threads all the way back on this forum, but would never have read a thread for people to kvetch about other work types. I love defacing someone else work as much as the next guy, but retitling a documentation thread into a bitch and moan thread has got to cross a line. I've wasted days working on p-1 scheduling strategies that are just worthless.

Last fiddled with by Aramis Wyler on 2013-03-21 at 14:25
Old 2013-03-21, 14:29   #6
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

25·281 Posts

Quote:
Shame about the title of the other thread.
Yeah... I don't know who changed the title, but it was back when the thread was active so at the time not many people missed it. The title changes are a bit of a hobby for some of the super-mods here...

Your suggestion of a link from the GPU72 forms will help, and I've just made that thread "sticky" so hopefully others won't miss it in the future.
Old 2013-03-21, 14:45   #7
Aramis Wyler

"Bill Staffen"
Jan 2013
Pittsburgh, PA, USA

22·89 Posts

Great, I set 'NoMoreWork' from 1 to 0 in prime.txt, set my workerwindows to pick up p-1 work, and then set my work queue to 10 days and sure enough, it sucked down a few more p-1s per core. Good times. That is a really big help, and it means I can have just 2 or 3 days of p-1 work queued up instead of 20 or so like I have been.
Old 2013-03-21, 14:50   #8
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

214408 Posts

Quote:
Good times. That is a really big help, and it means I can have just 2 or 3 days of p-1 work queued up instead of 20 or so like I have been.
Yup -- and I can confirm that those came from the GPU72 cache.

Also, great about lowering your assignment queue. The motivation for the proxy was to lessen human load, and to allow the number of P-1 assignments held by GPU72 to be lower.

Lastly, if you look at your View Assignments report, you'll see which machine (and in brackets the CPU) which has been assigned the work, when it was last updated, and the estimated completion reported by the client.
Old 2014-01-29, 07:30   #9
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter

Jun 2011
Thailand

215B16 Posts

The last version of Misfit has some bug, not lethal, but bothersome if you don't realize what's going on. Up to now I used to only replace the "exe" file, with the new updates. With the last upgrade, installing mfaktc new for the enterprise Chris and I are putting together, I decided to do a "clean" Misfit installation. Same effect can be achieved by deleting all the folders created by the very old, most probably one of the first versions of Misfit.

Then the new Misfit starts complaining about "file blahblah_ax739ZBWGH12348k_x_blah_blah" is missing. When it was to report the first results, it crashes all together. I solved it by creating the 4 (four) folders again, one by one (the web, giom, staged, logs, and he complained for every one! it could not create any of them at the init time), after I realized what is going on. I said "if you realize", because due to the fact that the path is full of those random file names truncated above, it is difficult to see what he is complaining about, i.e. there is no clear information that the folder is missing in fact. Creating the folders solves the problem.

After I manually created the folders (luckily I could see their names in the mfakto folder, which was running in the other computer, otherwise their names would be difficult to remember too!) everything went smooth, and Misfit started doing the job perfectly, as we expected.

We think that a check at startup, and creating those folders if they don't exist, will do wonders. This was working with the older versions, but got corrupted in the last version, somehow.

Another thing, to be on topic with the thread, which is about wanted features. Maybe it exists already, but we did not investigate yet: a proxy to report the results will be very welcomed. Like now, considering my small enterprise with Chris, and in the future with other people, it should be possible to report my results through a proxy, and not directly to PrimeNet, so Chris's spider could parse them, kick out my name, and report them for himself, to get the credit. I know he is an altruistic guy, but some other of my further partners in crime may not be so...

Last fiddled with by LaurV on 2014-01-29 at 07:33
LaurV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-29, 07:44   #10
axn

Jun 2003

11F116 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by swl551 View Post
VERSION 2.5.8
1. Changed the MISFIT support email address to MISFIT.SUPPORT@OUTLOOK.COM
2. Additional small fixes

GET FROM http://mersenneforum.org/misfit/

Due to the lack of activity in the MISFIT forums I will no longer be checking them.

If something comes up please contact me via email at MISFIT.SUPPORT@OUTLOOK.COM
Probably an email is required.
axn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-29, 08:04   #11
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter

Jun 2011
Thailand

8,539 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by axn View Post
Probably an email is required.