LaurV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-06-09, 21:21   #112
jvang
veganjoy

"Joey"
Nov 2015
Middle of Nowhere,AR

6748 Posts

I've been messaging the people over at bamboogarden.com, they're located in Oregon and seem like a very squared away bamboo nursery. They said that the southeast US is particularly inhospitable to basically all varieties of clumping bamboos, but that it'd be a good habitat for many running bamboos. Basically any Phyllostachys or Semiarundinaria species fits the conditions here, so I've been taking a look at these for now:

http://www.bamboogarden.com/Phyllost...%20%20Moso.htm

http://www.bamboogarden.com/Phyllostachys%20dulcis.htm

The Moso bamboo looks particularly impressive, although it seems to be one of the largest ones to grow. If I were to trim the tops of a bamboo like that down to 15 or 20 feet, would that stunt new growth or reduce the density of the leaves?
jvang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-06-25, 17:28   #113
jvang
veganjoy

"Joey"
Nov 2015
Middle of Nowhere,AR

22×3×37 Posts

So they offer a bunch of different bamboo sizes as per here: http://www.bamboogarden.com/price.htm

Anywhere from 2 feet tall to 40+, though I think our budget would prefer we stay on the shorter side. Should we get 2 or 3 bigger ones (size 5 or 10) or a bunch of the smaller ones (size 1 or 2)? The larger ones are supposed to have a more established and hardy root system but maybe it'd be better to just throw numbers at this?

Also, for planting them, are there any special things we should do? Or is it just a pretty basic "put em in the ground with some dirt" sort of deal?
Old 2021-06-25, 18:01   #114
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

988410 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvang View Post
Should we get 2 or 3 bigger ones (size 5 or 10) or a bunch of the smaller ones (size 1 or 2)?
Depends on what aesthetic you're after.

We planted four bunches (I don't remember the species) in the planter beside our pool, and after a year they still haven't started to fill in the gaps in-between. They will /eventually/, but I wish we had done a greater number of smaller bunches.
chalsall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-06-26, 17:55   #115
xilman
Bamboozled!

"𒉺𒌌𒇷𒆷𒀭"
May 2003
Down not across

2·3·1,811 Posts

Quote:
I've been messaging the people over at bamboogarden.com, they're located in Oregon and seem like a very squared away bamboo nursery. They said that the southeast US is particularly inhospitable to basically all varieties of clumping bamboos, but that it'd be a good habitat for many running bamboos. Basically any Phyllostachys or Semiarundinaria species fits the conditions here, so I've been taking a look at these for now:

http://www.bamboogarden.com/Phyllost...%20%20Moso.htm

http://www.bamboogarden.com/Phyllostachys%20dulcis.htm

The Moso bamboo looks particularly impressive, although it seems to be one of the largest ones to grow. If I were to trim the tops of a bamboo like that down to 15 or 20 feet, would that stunt new growth or reduce the density of the leaves?
1) Semiarundinaria tends to be very runny; you might find Phyllostachys species more controllable. Ph. bissettii is widely used as a hedging bamboo but most species do well, though I would not recommend Ph. violasceçns. It is a beautiful plant but the culms tend to be widely spaced.

On of my hedges is Pseudosasa japonica which has much larger leaves than Ph. species and forms dense hedges.

2) If you cut off at a certain height those culms will not grow any taller but should have no other effect. assuming you don't crop off at ground level off course!
xilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-06-26, 17:57   #116
xilman
Bamboozled!

"𒉺𒌌𒇷𒆷𒀭"
May 2003
Down not across

2·3·1,811 Posts

Quote:
So they offer a bunch of different bamboo sizes as per here: http://www.bamboogarden.com/price.htm

Anywhere from 2 feet tall to 40+, though I think our budget would prefer we stay on the shorter side. Should we get 2 or 3 bigger ones (size 5 or 10) or a bunch of the smaller ones (size 1 or 2)? The larger ones are supposed to have a more established and hardy root system but maybe it'd be better to just throw numbers at this?

Also, for planting them, are there any special things we should do? Or is it just a pretty basic "put em in the ground with some dirt" sort of deal?
personally I would go for a larger number of smaller plants. They will merge to form a dense hedge more quickly. Feed and water them well and even small plants should grow to full height in 2-4 years, depending on species.
xilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-08-04, 22:04   #117
jvang
veganjoy

"Joey"
Nov 2015
Middle of Nowhere,AR

1BC16 Posts

Making a bit of progress on the bamboo area, we got the barrier in a while ago but the trench isn't yet done. After just a few inches of digging the soil turns into an extremely compacted, rocky form that is very hard to dig through. We forgot to call the 811 service about digging here as there could be utility lines and whatnot underneath so we went ahead and did that. Once they clear it, I'm thinking about getting a trenching machine to finish it all up. They're like big chainsaws for cutting through the ground, should be neat!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	unnamed (1).jpg
Views:	41
Size:	760.0 KB
ID:	25400  
Old 2021-08-12, 00:02   #118
richs

"Rich"
Aug 2002
Benicia, California

2×683 Posts

I suggest renting an electric jackhammer with a wide blade rather than a trenching machine. That how I dig here with our soil conditions which are similar to yours.
richs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-08-12, 13:08   #119
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

37·131 Posts

Quote:
Making a bit of progress on the bamboo area, we got the barrier in a while ago but the trench isn't yet done. After just a few inches of digging the soil turns into an extremely compacted, rocky form that is very hard to dig through. We forgot to call the 811 service about digging here as there could be utility lines and whatnot underneath so we went ahead and did that. Once they clear it, I'm thinking about getting a trenching machine to finish it all up. They're like big chainsaws for cutting through the ground, should be neat!
If you haven't done so already, have a locate done on utilities before you dig.
Dr Sardonicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-08-12, 19:10   #120
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

100110100111002 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by richs View Post
I suggest renting an electric jackhammer with a wide blade rather than a trenching machine. That how I dig here with our soil conditions which are similar to yours.
Agreed. After a while, you'll actually be able to control the machine with one hand (and you will develop muscles you didn't know you had!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Sardonicus
If you haven't done so already, have a locate done on utilities before you dig.
Seconded. While hitting a water main (or even an electrical feed) /probably/ won't kill you, it can make for a very bad day...
chalsall is online now   Reply With Quote