Old 2007-10-19, 17:05   #1
ewmayer
2ω=0

Sep 2002
República de California

32·1,093 Posts
Default Microsoft vs Cisco for future of the office phone

http://bigtech.blogs.fortune.cnn.com...-office-phone/

Given the smashing success of their Zunë [pronounced Zoo-nee], maybe they'll call their BizPhone the "Fonë." [prounced Foe-nee.] I wonder if it runs Vista?

One other name possibility: The Bizë, pronounced of course, "Biz-ee". Sure to be yet another smashing success, just like Zunë, and Vista, and the war in Iraq.
ewmayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-22, 17:02   #2
Fusion_power

Aug 2003
Snicker, AL

23×3×52 Posts

That is one of the most utterly inane articles I've read in a long time.

Cisco has been trying hard to get a foot in the door with IP based phone products. Their systems are feature poor and lacking in real innovation. Until and unless they get the picture that people want a full range of communications capabilities, they will continue to be marginal players in this market.

The overall concept is breathtaking. For the first time, communications will be fully integrated with the work environment. Instant messaging will be truly universal. The system will know when you are available to talk, will know when you are travelling, will seamlessly switch to whatever location you are at to connect callers to you. Longer term, full video communications is in the works.

Microsoft is actually entering a market where they may wind up being only a niche player, yet that market is so huge it could still be a source of billions in revenue. As noted, virtually every business in the world communications using some form of phone.

At this point, Cisco's dominance is only in the key router segment. Communications is not their forte. The key with communication will be software driven feature development. This is actually a weak point for Cisco. They have top notch hardware, but not software expertise.

DarJones

Last fiddled with by Fusion_power on 2007-10-22 at 17:03
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-22, 22:29   #3
ewmayer
2ω=0

Sep 2002
República de California

32×1,093 Posts

By way of a single data point, my company [~5000 employees] just switched to Cisco IP phones. Not having used an IP phone before, I can't say whether they are better or worse than the IP phones offered by other providers. I've so far only used mine as a regular office phone, plus listened to the occasional VM by way of opening the soundfile attached to the corresponding missed-call e-mail. Our corporate marketing types and project leads probably use the fancier features much more.

Given Microsoft's track record over the past decade, my prediction is that if they ever manage to get an IP phone to market, it will be too late to make a dent in what will then be a thriving, very-competitive market. Their only chance of a killer app is if they somehow can find a way to bundle the SW with Windoze/Exchange in a way that allows them to leverage their desktop monopoly, like they did with IE and their media player. But in this case I can't see it - other VOIP providers already allow you to see whether the other person is available, and the oops-I-missed-your-call-please-leave-a-message paradigm isn't exactly in dire need of shifting, so how can MS differentiate their product? Besides the tried-and-true method of releasing a "Service Pack" that just happens to break every one of their competitors' apps, that is. ;)

Last fiddled with by ewmayer on 2007-10-22 at 22:29
ewmayer is offline   Reply With Quote