mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Extra Stuff > Blogorrhea > jasong

Old 2015-06-17, 09:58   #1
jasong

"Jason Goatcher"
Mar 2005

5×701 Posts
Default Should I put a plug on Windows 10?

As many of you know, Windows 10 is free to Windows 7 and 8 users and available as a download, but the download won't officially install until July 29th of this year.

So what do you guys think, should I take the plunge? Or should I wait until 10.1?

Btw, here's my humorous take on the whole Windows rule:

As many of you know, we have something known in nerdy circles as the "Windows rule" which basically states that only odd-numbered Windows releases are worth buying, and then only after the first major update, so 3.1, 5.1(Win XP), and 7.1(what I have, or had, not sure if it's updated beyond 7.1, don't really track that, though it's been updating every Patch Tuesday).

I tentatively suggest that the rule is subtly wrong. It's not simply odd-numbered releases, it's 2mod1 for the good releases, you have to add up the digits before you make the check. So Windows 10 is 1+0=1, meaning Windows 10 will be a reasonably decent release.

Otoh, lots of games are being released on Linux, so maybe we're approaching a point where there's no point at all to continuously using Windows. Only time will tell.
jasong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-17, 11:20   #2
VictordeHolland

"Victor de Hollander"
Aug 2011
the Netherlands

22268 Posts

Lol, why did Microsoft skip Windows 9?

I found the metro design in W8.1 terrible. Every program you install puts half a dozen icons on the already crowded metro tiles. So you end up having to use the search function anyway. Things like the configuration settings are difficult to find. I ended up reverting back to W7 after about a week, but maybe I should have tried it longer to get accustomed with the new design.

I heard W10 will see the return of the start button, albeit in a slighly different form. Because the upgrade is free, I feel inclined to give it a try.
VictordeHolland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-17, 12:07   #3
S485122

Sep 2006
Brussels, Belgium

63D16 Posts

I have the preview of Windows 10 on a virtual machine at home.
The Windows 10 start menu is the "metro" interface spread out over just one column. I did not see a convenient way of creating a hierarchy of folders containing the short cuts to applications. Most of the "Apps" are completely useless for me (Bing News, Bing Stock markets, Bing Food...) As with Windows 10 the "old" start menu folders and shortcuts are stil present on the disk...

The interface goes in the direction of Office 2013 but with still more restrictions on themes : instead of having the choice between white, grey and dark grey, the file explorer is white. I found no way to change that and when one has more that one file explorer window open it is very awkward to find its controls (mini-, maximize close...) The funny thing is that the registry entries to customise the colours and appearance of windows still exist, they are just ignored.

It seems as if Microsoft had decided that one should not have more than one window open on the desktop.

The tablet users (but who uses Windows on a tablet) like the Windows 10 interface and clamour for transparency everywhere. I experience transparency and garish backgrounds to menus only as noise, distracting me from the interface to the programs...

I will try to hang on to Windows 7 until I retire and can finally switch to decently interfaced OS.

Jacob
S485122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-17, 12:34   #4
chappy

"Jeff"
Feb 2012
St. Louis, Missouri, USA

114810 Posts

Windows 9 was skipped because of legacy programming artifacts in the way newer OSs handle some Windows 98 and Windows 95 programming.

Some of it is nonsense about numbering. Windows 7 was really just Vista Service Pack 1. Rebranded because of the negative consumer experience with Vista. (my only vista issues were with HP printer drivers and iTunes but Windows 7 was pretty solid.)

My only issues with Windows 8 (which I only have on a laptop) is with the metro interface. The rest of the system runs incredible smooth with no issues. (I use an add-on which makes my experience with the OS similar to Windows 7) I can't see any reason not to move from 8 to 10 unless you are a Home version user AND you don't want auto-updates. (Auto-updates will not be optional in the Home version of 10 if I understand the releases)

If you are happy with 7 and don't want/need the better widgets of 8/10 you may not need to update.

From a cyber-security perspective 7 is good, 8 and presumably 10 are much better. But, most of the cyber security concerns these days for home users are browser related.
chappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-17, 12:39   #5
science_man_88

"Forget I exist"
Jul 2009
Dumbassville

836910 Posts

I also heard that some of the pre-installed games will no longer be pre-installed I think, most of what I do with my computer is go online anyways. but I still don't want a potentially crappy OS either way.
science_man_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-17, 12:58   #6
paulunderwood

Sep 2002
Database er0rr

DB016 Posts

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	win10.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	120.7 KB
ID:	12754  
paulunderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-18, 04:08   #7
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter

Jun 2011
Thailand

100010111001002 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictordeHolland View Post
Lol, why did Microsoft skip Windows 9?
Marketing strategy. They have too many old products with 9x or 9.x, imagine the new windows 9 would have some bugs and it would need fixing, then you will have 9.1, 9.2... 9.5, ...9.8, then people will start associating windows 9.5 with windows 95, or 9.8 with 98. And they will do this anyhow, even without stepping up the sub-version.
LaurV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-18, 04:31   #8
retina
Undefined

"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

587910 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurV View Post
Marketing strategy. They have too many old products with 9x or 9.x, imagine the new windows 9 would have some bugs and it would need fixing, then you will have 9.1, 9.2... 9.5, ...9.8, then people will start associating windows 9.5 with windows 95, or 9.8 with 98. And they will do this anyhow, even without stepping up the sub-version.
Perhaps you are right, but the official reason is that the improvement over 8 was so great that 9 didn't do it justice.

Anyhow, the numbers-for-Windows-versions will have to stop again sometime in the future. There will likely be pressure to be like Chrome and FireFox to increment the version number every few minutes (to show progress) and once they get to the low 90's it's going to get confusing.
retina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-18, 07:38   #9
tha

Dec 2002

787 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chappy View Post
Windows 9 was skipped because of legacy programming artifacts in the way newer OSs handle some Windows 98 and Windows 95 programming.

This was the code Microsoft advised to use to make applications aware of whether they were hosted on 95/98 or on windows XP:

Code:
if (osName.startsWith("windows 9"))
Now that Microsoft changes from a "pay upfront for a release that we will determine how long it will last" to a "pay as you go, find out about the total later" scheme some people seem to be eager to jump to the new release. Of course, you should go for a real free system.
tha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-19, 11:04   #10
jasong

"Jason Goatcher"
Mar 2005

5·701 Posts

I think the reason they skipped to Windows 10 is that they're moving to Windows as a service soon and saying something's a ten means it's perfect.

It's just like always, the public thinks they need it because they've been hypnotized.

I use it because I have this strange notion that I'm a serious gamer. What I really want is a computer that can switch reasonably quickly between Linux and Windows while also making use of the same hardware.

I have this picture in my head of a 3 OS system, one is Windows, one is Linux and one is a barebones version of Linux for debugging and transferring files between the "bigger" OSes. If you ever needed to restart, you'd still have one or two OSes that stick around while you wait on the reboot.

Isn't that one of the things Linux is supposed to offer? Reduced functionality instead of no functionality when you're installing new stuff?
jasong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-26, 00:36   #11
chappy

"Jeff"
Feb 2012
St. Louis, Missouri, USA

22×7×41 Posts

Learning is good.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	counting.jpg
Views:	130