Mini-Geek
Account Deleted

"Tim Sorbera"
Aug 2006
San Antonio, TX USA

4,271 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochet View Post
Je m'aperçois que les tableaux sont illisibles. On trouvera le texte Word à cette adrese :
http://home.tele2.fr/lacanmaths/méthode coch.doc

merci
That link doesn't work. Change the name of the file to not include a space or an accented character (things like that are problematic when posted on the web, especially linked from a forum like you have done), post the new URL here, and it should work.

As for the spreadsheet: why does the previous prime influence the next prime? It doesn't make much sense. It also means that if one was missed (e.g. there is a Mersenne Prime between the currently known M43 and M44), it would make looking for the next one (e.g. what we would think would be known as M45) practically impossible, even assuming this method is correct. What you wrote in your post doesn't make sense when translated online (although I suspect it doesn't make much sense, even in French). What is the purpose of the numbers that are separated above the other ones? What is it you would look for in a number, when you fill in the candidate at the bottom of the list, to know that it is prime?
Mini-Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-04, 21:06   #167
cochet

Feb 2007
France

47 Posts

http://home.tele2.fr/lacanmaths/methode.html

In the grid, each number is dependant of others.
cochet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-05, 22:06   #168
jasong

"Jason Goatcher"
Mar 2005

3·7·167 Posts

I'm still trying to figure out the mapping of how the numbers relate to each other. In terms of what I see when I click on a cell, rather than your suggested Mersenne number connection.

I can't help but noting the division by zero errors in some of the cells. That suggests to me your method is either wrong or incomplete. If you have a way to cope with this, and just can't implement it easily within the structure of the spreadsheet, please tell me.

Edit: Well, I've figured out how he came up with n=37197833. (or at least I thought I did, never mind.)

Last fiddled with by jasong on 2007-09-05 at 22:17
jasong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-05, 22:19   #169
jasong

"Jason Goatcher"
Mar 2005

3·7·167 Posts

I'd like to note that if there's merit to this method, it would establish 1 as a prime number. At least it would if I'm reading things correctly.

Cochet, if this method is reliable, why is it that when I click on your "Mersenne"(going by the location pattern of the known 44) it isn't calculated by a cell equation? I would think you could start with the first few Mersennes ns, in your case 1,2,3,5, and 7, say, and generate them out into the hundreds.

Last fiddled with by jasong on 2007-09-05 at 22:26
Old 2007-09-06, 10:24   #170
cochet

Feb 2007
France

47 Posts

I'am enjoyed, dear Jasong, that finally someone has understood why I proposed 37197833. Impression of do not be alone......

The "ligne" with 1 as prime is not absolutely "nécessaire", but it's an interessant bound.

Sorry, but I don't understand the end of your question.
You have surely noted that the top of the columns 37 39 41 43 45 present some similitudes. The logic is that the number at the top of the 45 ft column is 111.
Isn't it ?
Alain
Old 2007-09-07, 09:43   #171
cochet

Feb 2007
France

47 Posts

In reference to the last Excel sheet, you can have a look at :

http://home.tele2.fr/lacanmaths/haut colonne.html
Old 2007-09-08, 01:23   #172
jasong

"Jason Goatcher"
Mar 2005

3·7·167 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochet View Post
Sorry, but I don't understand the end of your question.
Alain
Well, you're suggesting that previous Mersennes give clues as to later Mersennes, so a perfectly applied grid would be able to take M1-M44 and successively generate M45, M46, M47, etc., all the way up to, for example, M100.

Do you think you could post an explanation of the stuff at the top of the Excel sheet in English? It doesn't have to be perfect. Also, could you pick one of the first 39 Mersennes(since we know with 99.99% certainty there's nothing undiscovered below that) and explain how I would "discover" it using your Excel sheet?
Old 2007-09-08, 13:58   #173
davieddy

"Lucan"
Dec 2006
England

194A16 Posts

Is it "Poisson" or "Markov" process which expesses the
fact that the probability is unaffected by previous
success/failure?
Either way it is believed to apply to Mersenne primes
(and ordinary primes for that matter)

David
davieddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-08, 15:34   #174
wblipp

"William"
May 2003
New Haven

45018 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davieddy View Post
Is it "Poisson" or "Markov" process which expresses the fact that the probability is unaffected by previous success/failure?
Poisson. For a Poisson process the future probabilities are independent of the history of the process.

In a Markov process there is some additional "state" information, and the future depends on the state. Examples of commonly studied simple Markov processes include queueing systems, where the state includes at least the number in the system.
wblipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-08, 18:09   #175
cochet

Feb 2007
France

47 Posts

Jasong,

I am going to try in English.
To discover one of the 39 Mersenne numbers of witch we are sure, we need both a calculus at the bottom of the Excel sheet’s columns, and a calculus at the top of these to affinate the results.
Primo, it’s necessary to form intervals, from the bottom, more and more little when we go up, line after line, to the top of the column.
But this process is not sufficient.
Segundo, it’s necessary to examine the nature of the numbers at the top of the columns. From a certain range (col 31 or 32), it’s evident that the columns go two by two. On the odd columns a little number precedes a big numbers that precedes a little, etc… On even columns, all numbers are rather big.
I interested myself at the little numbers, and I was surprised to discover that they are linked ones with others, on 2, 4 or 6 columns.
So, if you carry out certain sums or differences into the top of one column, you will find the result at a certain range two, four or six columns on the left.
It’s the sense of the six rules I proposed in my last post. But there are many other rules thet “manage” the links between the different numbers of neighbour columns.
So, into an interval of candidates, it become more possible to adjust the results, by a knowledge on the top of the columns considered (only some values are possible).
On my last post, the 6 rules permit to assert, with a little bracket of error, that the top of the 45 ft column is :
111 13399 0 11794 64 7572 2 ………..

It would be logic.

PS : on my last chart, verify that the expresed rules are working for col 43 and 41, numericaly.
Alain

Old 2007-09-09, 02:15   #176
jasong

"Jason Goatcher"
Mar 2005

DB316 Posts

Cochet, I'm not 100% convinced your method works, but I'm convinced that I want to test numbers that your method suggests.

Send me about 10 candidates, and make sure they're n=40,500,000 or more.

Also, I'm going to do research on how one manually reserves numbers. I'm assuming one simply sends email to George, but I'm not sure.

If I win, I'll try to convince the people running the contest to split the amount I've won in half, before taxation, so our taxes happen separately. Otherwise I'm thinking the money would be taxed, I'd take the rest, split it in half, and then your government would tax that. Obviously, the first way is better.