mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > Software

Old 2003-12-05, 17:15   #1
Reboot It

Aug 2002
London, UK

7·13 Posts
Default Unable to interact with Prime95 as a Service

I have installed Prime95 as a service on a Windows 2000 server and I cannot get to see the user interface while the service is running. I have read the README.TXT, but I must be doing something wrong. Can someone help? Here’s what I did:
  • Installed Prime95 just as normal (i.e. not as a service), copied onto a local server drive. (I have admin rights to the domain, to all servers and local admin rights as well if needed.)
  • Ran P95 and let self-test complete and let it start work on its first exponent.
  • Stopped P95.
  • Selected the “Start on Bootup” option.
  • Noted that Prime95 appeared in Services as “Automatic” and “Stopped”.
  • Following the README.TXT file’s instructions I exited from P95 running on desktop (as “non-service”).
  • Edited the Prime95 service properties:
    Set “Log on as” to “Local System Account” with “Allow service to interact with desktop” ticked.”
  • Applied the changes to the service.
  • Started the service.
I know P95 is running (as a service) because it is listed as running and its checkpoint files are updated on schedule, but how do I get to see the GUI? README.TXT says I can do this, but how? I’m mystified. And before you ask, double-clicking on the P95 executable on the local disk doesn’t appear to do anything! Help!
Reboot It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-05, 17:39   #2
GP2

Sep 2003

5×11×47 Posts

If I recall correctly, you might have to hold down the Shift key while double-clicking on a shortcut to Prime95 (not Prime95 itself). That seemed to work under Windows 98. But it was a while ago, I might not remember correctly. At it might not be applicable to a service under Win2k.
GP2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-05, 18:31   #3
Reboot It

Aug 2002
London, UK

7×13 Posts

Thanks for the idea. Shift-clicking on anything selects a range of items, so shift-double-clicking opens all those items, such as all the items in the directory! I got wtd, prime, local, results, etc all opened in Notepad.

The same seems to apply to a shortcut, so again no progress here yet.

Last fiddled with by Reboot It on 2003-12-05 at 18:32
Old 2003-12-05, 19:22   #4
PageFault

Aug 2002
Dawn of the Dead

EB16 Posts

On my network (w2k pro) I can get all the files open but not see the client gui - it seems you have to be on the physical machine to do that, or vnc in. Running as service with w2k has been sweet so far.
PageFault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-05, 21:06   #5
markhl

Apr 2003
California

22·23 Posts

Can you see the Prime95 icon in the system tray?
What happens if you double-click it?
markhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-05, 23:02   #6
gowen72

Aug 2002

72 Posts

I think this is a bug in the client. I remember seeing this before on an NT box.

The problem (that I saw) was that if you have "No Icon" selected and start prime95 as a service, you can't access the GUI. If you don't have "No Icon" selected then you can access the GUI by running prime95 again.

The only way I got round the problem was to run Prime95 with the icon in the system tray.
gowen72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-05, 23:09   #7
SlashDude

Aug 2002
Minneapolis, MN

22·3·19 Posts

I have had problems accessing the GUI from a "Remote Desktop" / Terminal Service windows. I found if you have the icon hidden, and running as a service, you can still access the GUI. First, you need to stop the Prime95 service. Then Quad-Click (Double-click twice ) on the prime.exe file. This will open the GUI.

To exit, and keep the service running, you need to click on file-exit. The upper-left "X" usually minimizes prime95, so it will run in the background until you logoff. If you file-exit, be sure to restart the service and it will continue running after logoff.
SlashDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-05, 23:28   #8
PageFault

Aug 2002
Dawn of the Dead

5·47 Posts

The way I use it at work is with default service install and no icon. Every whenever I check machines I just doubleclick prime95.exe, to have the interface pop up to save checkpoint before upgrading the client. No mysteries, but this has to be done on the actual machine - over the network no GUI.
PageFault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-08, 14:50   #9
Reboot It

Aug 2002
London, UK

7×13 Posts

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions. I am so used now to using Remote Desktop (a.k.a. Terminal Services) that I omitted to mention that!

SlashDude: The method of stop service, run as an ordinary app, quit app and restart service of course works, but it does not allow you to see what has recently been shown in the GUI window (iteration times, communcation attempts, etc) which would be really useful.

I shall try the "you have to use the physical machine" approach (or VNC, etc) unless anyone has any other suggestions for remote access.
Old 2003-12-08, 15:06   #10
PrimeCruncher

Sep 2003
Borg HQ, Delta Quadrant

2×33×13 Posts

Okay, first off, what version of Prime95 are you running? Secondly, did you download and install both the GUI and service?

This can become complicated with 2000 and XP as I have experienced. Version 23 pretty much built the service-only version into the Prime GUI. Thus if you've DLed and installed both, PrimeNet appears to show up twice in the Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Services box. If you right-click and do Properties on them, you want to set the startup type for ntprime.exe to Disabled and click Stop, then set startup type for Prime95.exe to Automatic and click Start. That should put the icon in the system tray and allow you to monitor it, assuming that in the options menu of the GUI the Tray Icon item is checked. And since it is a service it should continue to run even if you log off.
PrimeCruncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-08, 16:38   #11
Reboot It

Aug 2002
London, UK

9110 Posts

PrimeCruncher:

On this machine I installed version 23.6, the application. (I downloaded p95v236.zip - I have never even downloaded any version that specifically described itself as a service.)

I selected the "Start at bootup" option and saw that it had created itself as a service - I didn't have to set up any service. (See my original post in this thread for my exact sequence of steps.)

Once it is running properly as a service, it continues running when I am not logged in, but I have not been able to directly interact with the GUI for the service.

I also deliberately run without an icon (i.e. "Tray Icon" not ticked and "No icon" ticked).