mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Extra Stuff > Soap Box

Old 2016-10-08, 09:18   #1640
Brian-E

"Brian"
Jul 2007
The Netherlands

7×467 Posts

When in ancient Rome, do as the ancient Romans do did.

When in 2016...
Brian-E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-10, 07:22   #1641
0PolarBearsHere

Oct 2015

2·7·19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian-E View Post
When in 2016...
Find another prime number.
0PolarBearsHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-06-22, 21:49   #1642
only_human

"Gang aft agley"
Sep 2002

2·1,877 Posts

"Three men marry in first legally recognised ‘polyamorous wedding’ - Three men have made history by becoming the first trio to wed in a same-sex ceremony in Colombia."
only_human is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-29, 23:03   #1643
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

1015610 Posts
Default The troubling ascent of the LGBT right wing

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...right-wing-afd
May I suggest that the thread title become something like "LGBTQ Rights"? Marriage is by no means the only issue, and I don't want to start a different thread and lose all the previous discussions.

Quote:
Heard the hilarious joke about the vice-president of the United States wanting to hang all gay people? Ah, no, my mistake. It wasn’t a joke – it was just another day in the increasingly regressive states of Trumpinistan.

Earlier this week the New Yorker reported that, during a White House discussion on gay rights, Donald Trump glibly said that Mike Pence, who has been accused of supporting conversion therapy for LGBT people, “wants to hang them all”. After some bad press, Trump denied ever saying this.

One suspects, of course, that not only did Trump say it, but that he himself would happily preside over televised hangings of gay people if he thought it would get him good ratings. One also suspects that, even as the first episode of The Hanging Apprentice went live on air, you’d still find some gay conservatives eager to explain that Trump is good for the LGBT community really.

Trump, you see, does have a fanbase among the LGBT community. While only 14% of gay Americans voted for him (it’s hard to get data on trans voters), he’s galvanised very vocal support among an influential group of gay, white, and financially well-off men.
WOW! Talk about an immediate response! Many Thanks!

Last fiddled with by kladner on 2017-10-29 at 23:09
kladner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-30, 13:45   #1644
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

10000111101112 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kladner View Post
https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...right-wing-afd
Quote:
Trump, you see, does have a fanbase among the LGBT community. While only 14% of gay Americans voted for him (it’s hard to get data on trans voters), he’s galvanised very vocal support among an influential group of gay, white, and financially well-off men.
I'm probably not the first, but I will suggest that this group be dubbed the Cohn-heads.
Dr Sardonicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-30, 17:16   #1645
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

22×2,539 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Sardonicus View Post
I'm probably not the first, but I will suggest that this group be dubbed the Cohn-heads.
hehehe! Funny, but sobering, too. Cohn's evil fingerprints go far beyond his work for McCarthy. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roy_Cohn

[RANT]Cohn played a considerable role in the Rosenberg trial, claiming to have influenced the death sentences.

He is listed as having been a Democrat, which maybe shows how far the distortions of McCarthy reached.

Though it was disputed, there are considerable indications that Cohn was gay. (He was diagnosed with HIV/AIDS in 1984: early in the epidemic when gay men were mostly affected.) Nevertheless he played a large role in the Lavender Scare, which accompanied the Red Scare. This resulted in scores of gay men being fired from government jobs. This scare also led to Eisenhower signing into law a ban on gays in government service. As is frequently the case, the most virulent homophobes are closet cases.

His representation of Donald Trump and Rupert Murdoch frosts the cake. He is also credited with having introduced the two.[/RANT]

Last fiddled with by kladner on 2017-10-30 at 17:18
kladner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-06-15, 15:21   #1646
Nick

Dec 2012
The Netherlands

22×11×37 Posts

If I understand it correctly, the US Supreme Court just outlawed employment discrimination against LGBT people.
(And, to mark this special occasion, their website duly crashed!)
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-06-15, 17:50   #1647
rogue

"Mark"
Apr 2003
Between here and the

6,247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
If I understand it correctly, the US Supreme Court just outlawed employment discrimination against LGBT people.
(And, to mark this special occasion, their website duly crashed!)
Here is a link: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/15/u...eme-court.html

What makes this ruling interesting is that there are businesses that can refuse to serve people who are gay due to their religious beliefs, but those same businesses cannot fire someone who is gay.

So consider a restaurant owned by some far right "gays are less than human" owner. If they discover that a gay employee works for them, they can refuse to sell or provide a free meal to that employee, but cannot fire them.

Makes perfect sense to me!

It is about time that religious freedom does not give the freedom to treat other human beings as "less than human".

Edit: Technically it doesn't say anything about religious exemptions. Does it allow employers to claim certain religious beliefs so that they can fire LBGTQ+ employees?

I'm sure that Trump and Jerry Falwell Jr are throwing temper tantrums over this. I cannot imagine Trump accepting this.

Last fiddled with by rogue on 2020-06-15 at 18:03
rogue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-06-15, 20:17   #1648
Till

"Tilman Neumann"
Jan 2016
Germany

22·107 Posts

OTOH https://www.realclearpolitics.com/ar...or_female.html
Till is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-06-15, 21:08   #1649
rogue

"Mark"
Apr 2003
Between here and the

624710 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Till View Post
Wouldn't the proper solution for this be splitting the gender field into two fields: biological gender and gender identity?

As long as the rule prohibits discrimination if the answer to the two question are not the same.

I suppose the Republicans would refuse to accept any answer other than "Male" or "Female" for each question.
rogue is online now   Reply With Quote