Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > Hardware

Old 2019-02-13, 16:10   #1
SELROC

207538 Posts
Default Workload trends

Graphics of 1 hour workload trends:

- trial factoring: essentially flat;

- PRP: irregular.
after roundoff error trend became worse like it is now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	workload-trial-factoring.png
Views:	96
Size:	2.6 KB
ID:	19888   Click image for larger version

Name:	workload-prp.png
Views:	100
Size:	3.5 KB
ID:	19889  

Last fiddled with by SELROC on 2019-02-13 at 16:13
Old 2019-02-13, 21:37   #2
kriesel

"TF79LL86GIMPS96gpu17"
Mar 2017
US midwest

29×167 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SELROC View Post
Graphics of 1 hour workload trends:

- trial factoring: essentially flat;

- PRP: irregular.
after roundoff error trend became worse like it is now.
Horizontal axes are time.

What are the units of the vertical axes?
On what computing device? software? (mfakto and gpuowl on RX580?)

Last fiddled with by kriesel on 2019-02-13 at 21:38
kriesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-02-13, 21:47   #3
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

2·3·1,567 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriesel View Post
Horizontal axes are time. What are the units of the vertical axes?
Thank you!

Without defining both axis, with magnitudes, we have no idea what we're dealing with.
chalsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-02-13, 23:01   #4
kriesel

"TF79LL86GIMPS96gpu17"
Mar 2017
US midwest

29×167 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalsall View Post
Thank you!

Without defining both axis, with magnitudes, we have no idea what we're dealing with.
There's no escape from engineering school (with a diploma) without that concept and some commitment to completeness. We were taught to cancel units like they were variables in simplifying equations in algebra. A number without the associated units has little meaning.
(For example: I traveled over 6.28 AU last year, along with everyone else here. The nearest post office is almost a 6.28 mile round trip. Those distances are about 108 to 1 away from being equal. Going to the dentist is about a 30 mile trip. Without the units, just comparing numbers lacking units, going to the dentist would seem further than the earth's annual orbit of Sol. It's many billions of Angstroms from where I am now to my refrigerator. Or less than 10 steps.)

Last fiddled with by kriesel on 2019-02-13 at 23:01
Old 2019-02-14, 00:50   #5
SELROC

13·743 Posts

Quote:
Horizontal axes are time.

What are the units of the vertical axes?

The GPUs are not accounted for workload that way....

The two computations are being done on CPU with mprime.

The horizontal axis is time, the vertical axis is just "total workload" per machine.
Old 2019-02-14, 00:53   #6
SELROC

7·1,069 Posts

Quote:
There's no escape from engineering school (with a diploma) without that concept and some commitment to completeness. We were taught to cancel units like they were variables in simplifying equations in algebra. A number without the associated units has little meaning.
(For example: I traveled over 6.28 AU last year, along with everyone else here. The nearest post office is almost a 6.28 mile round trip. Those distances are about 108 to 1 away from being equal. Going to the dentist is about a 30 mile trip. Without the units, just comparing numbers lacking units, going to the dentist would seem further than the earth's annual orbit of Sol. It's many billions of Angstroms from where I am now to my refrigerator. Or less than 10 steps.)

An engineering school can teach you to be an engineer but can't teach you to become smarter....
Old 2019-02-14, 01:22   #7
kriesel

"TF79LL86GIMPS96gpu17"
Mar 2017
US midwest

484310 Posts

Quote:
The GPUs are not accounted for workload that way....
The two computations are being done on CPU with mprime.
The horizontal axis is time, the vertical axis is just "total workload" per machine.
"Total workload" = Linux sense of workload, on a multicore machine? Presumably a lot of cores, if you're getting 8 and 10.

https://scoutapp.com/blog/understanding-load-averages
The TF and PRP are running simultaneously? On the same system? What other activity is there on the machine(s)?
Save files for PRP or LL are much bigger (typ. 10 MB) than checkpoint files for TF (~53B). That might generate a periodic slowdown for PRP, when writing a new one.
The 3 slight bumps in TF appear to coincide with dips in PRP.
What else is happening on the PRP system?
I was reading prime95 code earlier tonight, and noted there's provision for some threads to suspend when memory becomes scarce. That's likely to show up as reduced % cpus utilization in Windows, or reduced load in linux. If a memory hungry application that might use little cpu is running, that might indirectly modulate mprime PRP load.

Last fiddled with by kriesel on 2019-02-14 at 01:32
Old 2019-02-14, 01:34   #8
kriesel

"TF79LL86GIMPS96gpu17"
Mar 2017
US midwest

29·167 Posts

Quote:
An engineering school can teach you to be an engineer but can't teach you to become smarter....
Not sure who you're talking about there. It was a lot of fun to see which of the handful of other curve-busters would also be in the top 5 on engineering exams, especially in the make or break more challenging required classes. It didn't take long before we all knew each other by name. (Time though is the great equalizer. We all will end up at IQ 0.)

Last fiddled with by kriesel on 2019-02-14 at 01:39
Old 2019-02-14, 02:04   #9
kriesel

"TF79LL86GIMPS96gpu17"
Mar 2017
US midwest

484310 Posts

Image attached is from a dual-E5645 Win7-x64 system, 4 prime95 workers 3 cores each, with a couple gpu tasks going and misc OS overhead activity, plus remote desktop, gpu-z times two. The GPU-Z sessions show maxed out 100% gpu load, but fluctuating memory controller load. I think it interesting there are 3 cpu cores with almost 100% utilization, and the others fluctuate a lot. Time period covered by the 12 little graphs is ~2 minutes.
I don't run TF on cpus, as that's not an effective use of cpus that could be doing PRP or LL.
But it might make an interesting comparison test.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	condorella-cpu-usage-fluctuation.png
Views:	63
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	19891  
Old 2019-02-14, 05:12   #10
SELROC

2·19·137 Posts

Quote:
"Total workload" = Linux sense of workload, on a multicore machine? Presumably a lot of cores, if you're getting 8 and 10.

The TF and PRP are running simultaneously? On the same system? What other activity is there on the machine(s)?
Save files for PRP or LL are much bigger (typ. 10 MB) than checkpoint files for TF (~53B). That might generate a periodic slowdown for PRP, when writing a new one.
I was reading prime95 code earlier tonight, and noted there's provision for some threads to suspend when memory becomes scarce. That's likely to show up as reduced % cpus utilization in Windows, or reduced load in linux. If a memory hungry application that might use little cpu is running, that might indirectly modulate mprime PRP load.

It should be clear from the two graphics that there are two machines, one running trial factoring and one running prp.

Last fiddled with by SELROC on 2019-02-14 at 05:13
Old 2019-02-14, 07:16   #11
SELROC

212358 Posts

Quote:

Quote:
It should be clear from the two graphics that there are two machines, one running trial factoring and one running prp.

My GIMPS systems are all dedicated systems, no other application is running.
I don't think of scarcity of memory, TF system has 4GB RAM, PRP system has 32GB RAM.