mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > New To GIMPS? Start Here! > Information & Answers

Old 2017-02-20, 14:21   #1
ChemicalCat59

Feb 2017
Somewhere on Earth

610 Posts
Question How to make Prime95 run faster without charger?

Right now I'm working on a fairly small Mersenne number, but I found that my laptop makes progress on this number incredibly slowly without a charger compared to with one. Right now, if I set the program to output every 100 iterations with my charger in, it reports an ETA of right around 5 days. However, if I remove my charger, the program's ETA instantly shoots up to just over 14 days.

Does anyone know how to fix this? I am on a schedule where I really cannot keep my laptop plugged in all the time and I would hate to have slow progress because of it.
ChemicalCat59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-20, 16:45   #2
cuBerBruce

Aug 2012
Mass., USA

2·3·53 Posts

There is a checkbox for that. Look in the menus under Options -> Preferences....

Beware that running Prime95 on battery power will drain the battery significantly faster than when it's not running. I personally check the checkbox, but I'll stop Prime95 when the system is not going to be connected to AC power for awhile and it's more important to me to save battery power.

Also, note that unless you select a "high performance" power plan in the operating system, your system will likely run at a reduced clock speed especially when on battery power.
cuBerBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-20, 17:26   #3
axn

Jun 2003

2×32×269 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuBerBruce View Post
Also, note that unless you select a "high performance" power plan in the operating system, your system will likely run at a reduced clock speed especially when on battery power.
This is likely what is happening.
axn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-20, 17:55   #4
ChemicalCat59

Feb 2017
Somewhere on Earth

2×3 Posts

I went to the Preferences menu and the box "Run program even when using laptop battery power" is checked. Also, I am running my laptop at high-performance and have been for the past few months, way before downloading Prime95. Are there any other ways I can improve performance? I don't understand why the program slows down when I remove the adapter.
ChemicalCat59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-20, 20:55   #5
ET_
Banned

"Luigi"
Aug 2002
Team Italia

23×599 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChemicalCat59 View Post
I went to the Preferences menu and the box "Run program even when using laptop battery power" is checked. Also, I am running my laptop at high-performance and have been for the past few months, way before downloading Prime95. Are there any other ways I can improve performance? I don't understand why the program slows down when I remove the adapter.
I killed 5 laptops PSU while running Prime95, because I ran them 24/7 AND with power cord inserted. As others told you, running the CPU at 99.9% all the time on a laptop is the best way to get an unusable laptop in 6 months.

If you want to run Prime95 at the maximum possible speed and efficience, my hint is to buy a desktop with a supercharged PSU.
ET_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-20, 22:03   #6
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

1015010 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChemicalCat59 View Post
That sounds like a hardware action to me, aimed at extended battery life. Are there any brand-specifc apps, or perhaps a control panel item which might relate to battery use or power saving (besides the native Windows parts)? Is there possibly something in BIOS which involves batteries and power saving?

As others have said, laptops aren't really set up for full-time number crunching. Their cooling systems are cramped, and thus very likely to get obstructed by dust and lint. Since high processor usage equals high fan speed, lots of airborne detritus will get sucked in.

If you pursue using the laptop for P95, especially when running full power on A/C, be sure to vacuum and blow out any accessible vents really often. Also, it would be good to get a little free air space under the laptop. Ideal would be a cooling pad with fans, but a kitchen wire cooling rack could give almost as much benefit. Laptops tend to get hot on the bottom. At least one of the cooling vents will be there, too. Give the machine every advantage you can, which can include passively cooling the underside just by letting more air get to it.

Last fiddled with by kladner on 2017-02-20 at 22:04
kladner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-20, 23:22   #7
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

27A616 Posts

Very much On Topic and very amusing, too:
kladner is offline   Reply With Quote