mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Extra Stuff > Soap Box

View Poll Results: If I were an American, I'd like to have _______ as my president
Biden 25 78.13%
Trump 7 21.88%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2020-11-04, 08:15   #12
M344587487

"Composite as Heck"
Oct 2017

73510 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Carnivore View Post
The results so far are 18 Biden - 4 Trump? Holy cow.

I was expecting Biden to be more popular than Trump on here by a 2-1 margin and not a 4-1 margin, but I guess there are more liberals on here than I originally thought.

Or maybe people just don't like Trump in particular, and the vote for a generic Democrat vs. a generic Republican would be more like 18 - 9 instead of 18 - 4.

As far as the electoral vote goes, I think Biden wins this narrowly by something like 272 - 266.
The internet population in general appears to be very liberal even when you avoid political echo chambers, the American population on the other hand apparently not.
M344587487 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-11-04, 10:22   #13
axn

Jun 2003

3×5×17×19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by moebius View Post
We'll see it in the end, I can't estimate that exactly.
It's fine if you have changed your mind regarding Trump winning without FL (moot point anyway).
axn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-11-04, 18:05   #14
The Carnivore

Jun 2010

229 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by M344587487 View Post
The internet population in general appears to be very liberal
FWIW, 90% of Americans use the Internet and 73% of Americans have high speed broadband at home, so the American Internet population isn't that much different than the general American population:

https://www.pewresearch.org/internet...net-broadband/

The rest of the world's internet population, however, does seem to be quite liberal.

Last fiddled with by The Carnivore on 2020-11-04 at 18:11
The Carnivore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-11-04, 21:42   #15
Batalov

"Serge"
Mar 2008
Phi(4,2^7658614+1)/2

59·157 Posts
It is almost anachronistic to see this battle as it is: as "town against countryland". But that's what it looks like. In the 21st century.

In rural states with huge cities, it is fast to count all rural precincts (and arrive at a light red color) and then it takes a day to count the remaining 1-2 million votes in the big cities and (what they call) a blue shift arrives. Wayne County takes a long time to count, or, say, Milwaukee County, or Philadelphia County...

We will see the official numbers in a few days, apparently. Would have been less of a show if intermediate results were not shown. Stopping counting (as some people suggested - probably a lack of sleep talking) is like stopping a 3000m race event after 2600 meters. The most interesting things frequently happen in the last 400 meters. I guess this is why people like to watch it like a sport, but do all of them understand the rules*?

___
* ...or the rules and best practices of metrology. How does one measure things robustly, reproducibly and objectively? Incidentally, one gets an additional appreciation of that while starting to work at a hospital. From a standard blood test, to a novel test (say, COVID PCR), to a genomic variant call test - how do you ensure the checks and balances at each step. What if you had a process and a workflow, but showed the blood test in progress to a person that has no idea what is going on? Labs actually don't want that; you can only get the final result.

Well, you actually can stay awake during colonoscopy and think for 15 minutes while looking at the screen: "Gosh! I have every disease possible! Look at that bulge! look at that - red everywhere!." then the doctor says: 'Congrats, you are all clear!"
Dubious benefits of watching the process :-) Some people like it. Some call it transparency. No one is wrong.
Batalov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-11-04, 22:20   #16
bsquared

"Ben"
Feb 2007

3,361 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batalov View Post
It is almost anachronistic to see this battle as it is: as "town against countryland". But that's what it looks like. In the 21st century.

In rural states with huge cities, it is fast to count all rural precincts (and arrive at a light red color) and then it takes a day to count the remaining 1-2 million votes in the big cities and (what they call) a blue shift arrives. Wayne County takes a long time to count, or, say, Milwaukee County, or Philadelphia County...

We will see the official numbers in a few days, apparently. Would have been less of a show if intermediate results were not shown. Stopping counting (as some people suggested - probably a lack of sleep talking) is like stopping a 3000m race event after 2600 meters. The most interesting things frequently happen in the last 400 meters. I guess this is why people like to watch it like a sport, but do all of them understand the rules*?

___
* ...or the rules and best practices of metrology. How does one measure things robustly, reproducibly and objectively? Incidentally, one gets an additional appreciation of that while starting to work at a hospital. From a standard blood test, to a novel test (say, COVID PCR), to a genomic variant call test - how do you ensure the checks and balances at each step. What if you had a process and a workflow, but showed the blood test in progress to a person that has no idea what is going on? Labs actually don't want that; you can only get the final result.

Well, you actually can stay awake during colonoscopy and think for 15 minutes while looking at the screen: "Gosh! I have every disease possible! Look at that bulge! look at that - red everywhere!." then the doctor says: 'Congrats, you are all clear!"
Dubious benefits of watching the process :-) Some people like it. Some call it transparency. No one is wrong.

If only everyone had a good understanding of the rules and best practices of metrology... we wouldn't be in the current situation, I'd wager. On the other hand, life might not be quite as interesting or entertaining!
bsquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-11-05, 05:04   #17
ONeil

Dec 2017

F016 Posts
I'm calling it for Biden

This will be the theme song for the rest of 2020:
check spoiler I spoiled the election for all Trump fans.

Last fiddled with by Uncwilly on 2020-11-05 at 06:11 Reason: Link to self serving foul language noise removed.
ONeil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-11-05, 08:42   #18
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

11·13·71 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsquared View Post
If only everyone had a good understanding of the rules and best practices of metrology... we wouldn't be in the current situation, I'd wager. On the other hand, life might not be quite as interesting or entertaining!
I endorse the endorsement above.
My first colonoscopy, I drifted into consciousness midway and was enchanted by the internal view.

The fairly recent one, they hit me with Propofol and after a bit of chatting with the anesthesiologist, I looked around and asked the nurse if it was over, which it was. [/OT (by way of taking a metaphor too literally.)]
kladner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-11-05, 08:58   #19
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter

Jun 2011
Thailand

217028 Posts

C'mon guys, what's wrong with Trump? The biggest buffoon in history, we never laughed so much as in the last few years...
Watching Jimmy Kimmel some time ago, somebody asked Trump "are you the most famous person in the world" and he replied "no, Jesus Christ is the most famous", haha. Kimmel back in the studio "Wow what a display of humbleness from the president", then also Kimmel after a bit of thinking (quite spontaneous this guy!) "Jesus came back, let's hope you never do"...

Last fiddled with by LaurV on 2020-11-05 at 09:00
LaurV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-11-05, 10:13   #20
xilman
Bamboozled!

"π’‰Ίπ’ŒŒπ’‡·π’†·π’€­"
May 2003
Down not across

24·32·73 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batalov View Post
I liked it. I also like seeing ultrasound images of my insides and a commonly used avatar on some of my web presence is a MRI slice through my head, specifically that through the right trigeminal nerve.

What is especially fun is to be hooked up to an ECG and to be able to see its output. I slow down my heart rate as much as possible, 47bpm being my record though mid-50s is more typical. Twice a nurse has come over to see what was going on but I never managed to set off the alarm beeps.
xilman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-11-05, 11:05   #21
ATH
Einyen

Dec 2003
Denmark

23·131 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurV View Post
C'mon guys, what's wrong with Trump? The biggest buffoon in history, we never laughed so much as in the last few years...
Watching Jimmy Kimmel some time ago, somebody asked Trump "are you the most famous person in the world" and he replied "no, Jesus Christ is the most famous", haha. Kimmel back in the studio "Wow what a display of humbleness from the president", then also Kimmel after a bit of thinking (quite spontaneous this guy!) "Jesus came back, let's hope you never do"...
This is not something you want in a president: A source of mocking laughter. But most of what he says is not funny but disturbing and cringe worthy.

Seen from Europe it is amazing and incredible (and disturbing) that over 66 million people is voting for Trump after he spent 4 years of showing how crazy he really is.

Also this election was said to be the "Election of your lifetime" or "Most important election ever", but the turnout is still ~ 66% ? Granted they say it is the highest turnout since 1900, but it still seems low when you have a buffoon to get rid of.

In Denmark since 1953 in state elections we had a turnout between 80.6% and 89.3% and we never had anything near a Trump. But I guess you cannot compare such a small country to a large country, and it is a difference of mentality and culture.
I admit I missed at least 1 election in my youth because I was not interested in politics and did not know who to vote for, but then again we did not have a terrible caricature to get rid of.

Last fiddled with by ATH on 2020-11-05 at 11:08
ATH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-11-05, 14:54   #22
ldesnogu

Jan 2008
France

2×271 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATH View Post
Seen from Europe it is amazing and incredible (and disturbing) that over 66 million people is voting for Trump after he spent 4 years of showing how crazy he really is.
Indeed. I'm amazed that not more Republicans are standing against that buffoon, McCain is sadly missed.

But when you see millions of Americans falling into Qanon arms, you start understanding that the number of retards is increasing at an alarming pace. And that is starting to apply to France where more and more people are seeing conspiracies everywhere. I'm glad I took the decision not to have any child.
ldesnogu is offline   Reply With Quote