mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Extra Stuff > Blogorrhea > jasong

Old 2013-02-28, 10:10   #1
jasong

"Jason Goatcher"
Mar 2005

3×7×167 Posts
Default What type of language is offensive to you?

Ever since I started surfing the Internet a bunch, my language has become more "primitive." As a Christian, I try to base my morality on what Jesus would want me to do. The problem is that the Bible doesn't talk about specific words, it just mentions "strong language." So it could be argued, for instance, that calling someone a "retard" could be way more offensive than dropping an f-bomb. And is casual swearing bad because of the swearing, or because of the rage issue problems it may indicate?

So my question is what's offensive to you and what's your basic rule of thumb on what qualifies as offensive language.
jasong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-28, 13:04   #2
retina
Undefined

"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

17FF16 Posts

I find many of the High Level Languages (HLLs) to be offensive. Much preferring assembly for the grace and elegance of its construction.

I don't care about which individual words people use. Say whatever you want. They are only strings of sounds (or letters) that have no meaning unless we choose to give them one.

Call me anything you want, just don't call me late for dinner.

Last fiddled with by retina on 2013-02-28 at 13:05
retina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-28, 13:25   #3
R.D. Silverman

Nov 2003

22·5·373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasong View Post
Ever since I started surfing the Internet a bunch, my language has become more "primitive." As a Christian, I try to base my morality on what Jesus would want me to do.
It is clear, based on other posts you have made that this last sentence is a lie. (but maybe you believe it to be true).

Jesus preached brotherhood and tolerance. Your attitude toward gays
and lesbians shows you to be anything but tolerant.

Christians certainly do not believe in equal rights for everyone. They forbid
women from becoming priests, for example.
R.D. Silverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-28, 13:28   #4
rogue

"Mark"
Apr 2003
Between here and the

631210 Posts

Quote:
And is casual swearing bad because of the swearing, or because of the rage issue problems it may indicate?

So my question is what's offensive to you and what's your basic rule of thumb on what qualifies as offensive language.
I can't complain too much when someone swears due to a heightened emotional state, but casual swearing drives me crazy. I have a co-worker who casually swears regularly and some of the newer employees he has worked with have picked up that habit. It may sound funny at first, but eventually it sounds stupid in the sense that "The English language has hundreds of thousands of words and you probably know many thousands of them so why do 10% of the words out of your mouth have to be swear words?".
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-28, 14:41   #5
jasong

"Jason Goatcher"
Mar 2005

3·7·167 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.D. Silverman View Post
It is clear, based on other posts you have made that this last sentence is a lie. (but maybe you believe it to be true).

Jesus preached brotherhood and tolerance. Your attitude toward gays
and lesbians shows you to be anything but tolerant.

Christians certainly do not believe in equal rights for everyone. They forbid
women from becoming priests, for example.
2 quick points, the first being that the key word in my post is try.

My other point is that just because I condemn homosexuality DOESN'T mean I condemn homosexuals. It's like the verses in one of my favorite songs,"Convict the guilt, not the guilty, and I promise a better night's sleep."

Last fiddled with by jasong on 2013-02-28 at 14:42
Old 2013-02-28, 14:46   #6
Dubslow
Basketry That Evening!

"Bunslow the Bold"
Jun 2011
40<A<43 -89<O<-88

3·29·83 Posts

I'm a college kid, so almost anything goes.
Dubslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-28, 14:47   #7
jasong

"Jason Goatcher"
Mar 2005

66638 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.D. Silverman View Post
Christians certainly do not believe in equal rights for everyone. They forbid women from becoming priests, for example.
I'm not really sure Christ believed in equal rights, at least not in the way I think you mean it.

While I'm against the idea of being abusive to women, including restricting their ability to move around freely, I don't necessarily think they should be 100% equal. A woman's personal welfare is exactly as important as a man's, which is why you have the verses talking about treating a woman as if she's literally an extension of the husband. But I'm not sure about extending it beyond that.
Old 2013-02-28, 14:56   #8
ET_
Banned

"Luigi"
Aug 2002
Team Italia

2×29×83 Posts

Quote:
I'm not really sure Christ believed in equal rights, at least not in the way I think you mean it.

While I'm against the idea of being abusive to women, including restricting their ability to move around freely, I don't necessarily think they should be 100% equal. A woman's personal welfare is exactly as important as a man's, which is why you have the verses talking about treating a woman as if she's literally an extension of the husband. But I'm not sure about extending it beyond that.
QED.

Luigi
ET_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-28, 15:39   #9
Zeta-Flux

May 2003

30138 Posts

This may sound cliche, but when I was young my father taught me "If you can't say something nice, don't say nothing at all." I think it is a good rule to live by.

While I'm not a fan of swear words, I would agree with you that words which are meant to hurt others are even worse. What really surprises me is how television is very careful about swear words, but taking God's name in vain is commonplace.
Zeta-Flux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-28, 19:08   #10
xilman
Bamboozled!

"𒉺𒌌𒇷𒆷𒀭"
May 2003
Down not across

29BA16 Posts

Quote:
Rumanian, undoubtedly.

It's a bastard mongrel of Slavic and Romance.
xilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-28, 19:14   #11
Dubslow
Basketry That Evening!

"Bunslow the Bold"
Jun 2011
40<A<43 -89<O<-88

3×29×83 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xilman View Post
Rumanian, undoubtedly.

It's a bastard mongrel of Slavic and Romance.
What about Español then?
Dubslow is offline   Reply With Quote