mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Prime Search Projects > And now for something completely different

Old 2022-11-28, 19:38   #1
EdH

"Ed Hall"
Dec 2009
Adirondack Mtns

148A16 Posts
Default Ubuntu troubles with cm builds

I'm starting a new thread to address these, rather than clutter existing threads. I haven't contacted the author(s) yet, because I'm not familiar enough with where my issues are and the solutions may well be simple.

Basically, I installed most of the dependencies via the repositories for Ubuntu 20.04, leaving only mpfrcx and cm to install manually.

This worked great for the first machine I tried, and almost* great for the second. Both compiled and passed all the checks and are working without major issues.

I've tried three machines since then and all three fail the cm make check step due to the inability to load the libmpfrcx.so.1 library. But, the ./configure for cm had no trouble finding it in its check and it is installed to the exact same place on all five machines.

All five machines are Ubuntu 20.04 and all meet the dependencies for cm.

* Oddly, although running fine, this machine does not produce .primo files, while the first one does. All commands (and options) are identical.
EdH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-11-28, 19:51   #2
kruoli

"Oliver"
Sep 2017
Porta Westfalica, DE

2·23·29 Posts

IIRC, it has to be compiled manually beforehand. See e.g. http://gitlab.inria.fr/enge/mpfrcx.
kruoli is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-11-28, 20:36   #3
EdH

"Ed Hall"
Dec 2009
Adirondack Mtns

2×11×239 Posts

I did compile and install mpfrcx before compiling and installing cm, if that's what you mean.

The steps I'm trying to use (hopefully to supply in yet another (How I . . .):

(GMP-6.2.0 and PARI/GP already installed)
sudo apt install libmpc-dev libmpfr-dev libpari-dev
acquire the tars for mpfrcx and cm and unpack
./configure for mpfrcx
make
make check
sudo make install
./configure for cm
make
make check - failure

You have reminded me of something, though. On the first machine, I may have installed more than the minimum (-dev) for one or more package. Maybe that's my issue, although I would expect the ./configure to be accurate in its checking, and I believe the minimum was what I used for the second machine.
Old 2022-11-28, 21:07   #4
EdH

"Ed Hall"
Dec 2009
Adirondack Mtns

2·11·239 Posts

Interesting partial progress: I installed mpc as an addition to the other mentioned packages and one of the non-working machines passed the check and runs ecpp, but there are still no .primo certificates.

I tried a totally separate machine with all the aforementioned packages, such that it should match the previous configuration and it fails the check.

More study is necessary. . .
Old 2022-11-29, 11:42   #5
xilman
Bamboozled!

"๐’‰บ๐’ŒŒ๐’‡ท๐’†ท๐’€ญ"
May 2003
Down not across

266168 Posts

Trying desperately to remember what I had to do to get it running on my Ubuntu sytstems...

I wonder if it was this LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib

though that may have been some other package such as Algol 68 Genie.
xilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-11-29, 13:47   #6
EdH

"Ed Hall"
Dec 2009
Adirondack Mtns

2·11·239 Posts

I know I had to work with PATHs to get my GPU packages to work right and I explored the PATHs for these machines for ecpp.

I've been partially successful by installing mpc (rather than just libmpc-dev) on some of the machines via the repository, but only a couple started working then and none of the machines, other than the very first, will generate .primo certs.

My next step is going to be uninstalling all the repo versions and manually installing the available packages from multiprecision.org to see what that may accomplish.
Old 2022-11-29, 15:51   #7
xilman
Bamboozled!

"๐’‰บ๐’ŒŒ๐’‡ท๐’†ท๐’€ญ"
May 2003
Down not across

2D8E16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xilman View Post
Trying desperately to remember what I had to do to get it running on my Ubuntu sytstems...

I wonder if it was this LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib

though that may have been some other package such as Algol 68 Genie.
Yup, looks like it.

pcl@thoth:~/Pictures$ ls /usr/local/lib
libcm.a libcm_mpi.a libcm_mpi.so libcm_mpi.so.0.0.0 libcm.so.0 libmpfrcx.a libmpfrcx.so libmpfrcx.so.1.2.3 python3.10 R
libcm.la libcm_mpi.la libcm_mpi.so.0 libcm.so libcm.so.0.0.0 libmpfrcx.la libmpfrcx.so.1 pypy2.7 python3.7 x86_64-linux-gnu
pcl@thoth:~/Pictures$
xilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-11-29, 16:51   #8
EdH

"Ed Hall"
Dec 2009
Adirondack Mtns

2·11·239 Posts

Thanks!

I "think" I have found the problem, but all is not well and my attention span is diminishing.

What I HAVE discovered is that while libmpc-dev is of sufficient version in the repository, mpc is NOT. Neither is libmpfr-dev. To manually install mpc requires me to manually install mpfr, which is OK, but mpc's make check fails:
Code:
Error, mpc_mul returns an out-of-range exponent:
0.10010110101000101010000000001001011011000011101100000E-1085!!!<!!!
Bug most probably in MPFR, please upgrade to MPFR 4.1.0 or later
FAIL tmul (exit status: 1)
even though mpfr is the current 4.1.1. Subsequent attempts (after all the uninstall, clean, etc.) prove the failure repeatable.

The most annoying thing is that the first machine worked fine with all the repository versions, but each of the other machines fail in various manners.

Later today I will try this again with a yet un-fiddled with machine in my set and see what happens with it. Perhaps these others have a bit of left over code somewhere.
Old 2022-11-29, 19:00   #9
EdH

"Ed Hall"
Dec 2009
Adirondack Mtns

2×11×239 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdH View Post
. . .
Later today I will try this again with a yet un-fiddled with machine in my set and see what happens with it. Perhaps these others have a bit of left over code somewhere.
A try from scratch gave me the same error in mpc make check. This was my last test. I quit!
Old 2022-11-30, 04:14   #10
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

11,087 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdH View Post
A try from scratch gave me the same error in mpc make check. This was my last test. I quit!
Just a suggestion...

Have you tried attacking this problem space using a different OS substrate? Personally, I have given up on Ubuntu. In all of my spaces.

For LTS Linux contexts, I'm currently deploying either on pure Debian (when I *have to*), or Rocky Linux when I'm allowed to future-proof.
chalsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-11-30, 05:41   #11
paulunderwood

Sep 2002
Database er0rr

5×29×31 Posts

@EdH, did you get mpc from https://www.multiprecision.org/mpc/download.html ?

I installed the headers only through apt

Code:
apt list mpc                                                                                                                                                                      
Listing... Done
mpc/kali-rolling 0.34-1+b1 amd64
Code:
apt list libmpc-dev
Listing... Done
libmpc-dev/kali-rolling,now 1.2.1-2 amd64 [installed]
Code:
ls /usr/local/lib                                                                                                                                                                 
libcm.a      libcm_mpi.la    libcm_mpi.so.0.0.0  libcm.so.0.0.0  libgmp.a   libgmp.so.10      libmpfrcx.a   libmpfrcx.so.1      libprimesieve.a  pkgconfig
libcm.la     libcm_mpi.so    libcm.so            libecm.a        libgmp.la  libgmp.so.10.4.1  libmpfrcx.la  libmpfrcx.so.1.2.3  libysieve.a      python2.7
libcm_mpi.a  libcm_mpi.so.0  libcm.so.0          libecm.la       libgmp.so  libgwnum.a        libmpfrcx.so  libmsieve.a         libytools.a      python3.10

Last fiddled with by paulunderwood on 2022-11-30 at 06:09
paulunderwood is offline   Reply With Quote