mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Math Stuff > Tales From the Crypt(o)

Old 2015-12-25, 07:45   #12
ewmayer
2ω=0

Sep 2002
Rep├║blica de California

23·1,459 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madpoo View Post
And besides, could be worse...some countries are even worse when it comes to civil liberties.
None which profess loudly to be "the home of the free" and consistently promulgate similar self-laudatory blather, e.g. "they hate us for our freedoms".
ewmayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-25, 18:45   #13
Madpoo
Serpentine Vermin Jar

Jul 2014

1100111101012 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewmayer View Post
None which profess loudly to be "the home of the free" and consistently promulgate similar self-laudatory blather, e.g. "they hate us for our freedoms".
You're preaching to the choir, but then I'm a guy who had the feds come knocking on his door. Been basically libertarian ever since. LOL

And for the feds monitoring every single thing online, I'm keeping clean! I might break the speed limit every now and then, but that's it, I promise!
Madpoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-13, 06:42   #14
jyb

Aug 2005
Seattle, WA

33668 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retina View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madpoo View Post
Which leads me to ask the question, how hard is it to derive that "e" value given the P,Q points?
Very. Hard enough that it is unlikely anyone has the capability and desire to do it. This is not as "simple" as a factoring problem.
Indeed, the problem you're solving with that "derivation" is extracting a discrete logarithm in an elliptic curve group. If you're not familiar with what that means in terms of how hard it is to compute, I've given you enough keywords that you can search for it now (and in particular, you can look up ECDSA, which also uses this generally hard problem for its security). But suffice it to say that it's quite hard (as far as anyone appears to know).
jyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-26, 17:19   #15
Madpoo
Serpentine Vermin Jar

Jul 2014

63658 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyb View Post
Indeed, the problem you're solving with that "derivation" is extracting a discrete logarithm in an elliptic curve group. If you're not familiar with what that means in terms of how hard it is to compute, I've given you enough keywords that you can search for it now (and in particular, you can look up ECDSA, which also uses this generally hard problem for its security). But suffice it to say that it's quite hard (as far as anyone appears to know).
Cool. I just wondered if it was the type of thing that a government with VAST resources could spend months or even years trying to figure out, with the hopes that they too could own the master key placed in there by some well meaning doofus in some other government.

It wouldn't even matter if it took years or decades to crack using the resources of an entire country... all encrypted data that was previously slurped up and saved could then be opened up and browsed at will... a huge treasure trove.

Actually, in the age we live in it's more likely an Edward Snowden type character would simply copy the key onto a thumb drive and head to Hong Kong.

I can only imagine the type of effort that must already be going on to do one or the other (hack or steal).

In short, if it hasn't been compromised already, it's just a matter of time, isn't it?

tl;dr - backdoors are stupid
Madpoo is offline   Reply With Quote