mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > Hardware > GPU Computing > GpuOwl

Old 2021-09-28, 22:54   #67
kriesel

"TF79LL86GIMPS96gpu17"
Mar 2017
US midwest

2·3·5·193 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by moebius View Post
GLIBCXX_3.4.26 comes with GCC 9.1.0. The gpuOwl 6.11.380 binary at https://mersenneforum.org/showpost.p...1&postcount=40 does not work for you, because the gcc version is not the same. I compiled it with gcc 9.1.0 https://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/libst...anual/abi.html
It should work if you install gcc 9.1.0 and then copy the needed files with a notebook https://mersenneforum.org/showpost.p...7&postcount=33
Sure it isn't the same issue like in this thread? https://mersenneforum.org/showthread...511#post555511
Thanks for responding. But this is not working for me. I already have the libstdc stuff in the gpuowl working directory on Google Drive, which is all you cp in the posted script at that link. It's complaining about GLIBCXX_3.4.26, which that post's script does not cp. And if I attempt
Code:
!sudo add-apt-repository -y ppa:ubuntu-toolchain-r/test
!sudo apt install -y gcc-9
!sudo update-alternatives --install /usr/bin/gcc gcc /usr/bin/gcc-9 800
!ls /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/GLIBCXX*
!cp /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/GLIBCXX_3.4.* '/content/drive/My Drive/gpuowl/K80'
it installs gcc 9.4.0, and then gives
Code:
update-alternatives: using /usr/bin/gcc-9 to provide /usr/bin/gcc (gcc) in auto mode
ls: cannot access '/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/GLIBCXX*': No such file or directory
cp: cannot stat '/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/GLIBCXX_3.4.*': No such file or directory
So, I'll cp in more libstdc*, anyway, and see what the next K80 instance shows. All
Code:
!cp /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libstdc* '/content/drive/My Drive/gpuowl/K80/'
appears to have accomplished is to freshen the time stamps on libstdc++.so.6 and libstdc++.so.6.0.25 in
/content/drive/My Drive/gpuowl/K80; no sign of GLIBCXX*. /content/drive/My Drive/gpuowl/K80/libstdc++.so.6.0.28 is untouched.
Ok, got a K80. And using the v6.11-380 Gpuowl.exe, the error persists:
Code:
./gpuowl.exe: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.26' not found (required by ./gpuowl.exe)
So, reverting to Fan Ming's version for the session.
And something about that process messed with the permissions on Fan Ming's executable again. Which Google Drive does not show, so one is flying blind.

Last fiddled with by kriesel on 2021-09-28 at 23:05
kriesel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-09-29, 06:51   #68
Flaukrotist

Sep 2020
Germany

1001102 Posts
Default It works for me.

I can only guess where your error could be with my very limited knowledge of gpuowl and linux. But I can at least tell, that I could make it work with the help of the zips and code blocks provided in this very thread that moebius has again linked to in his latest post here.

One potential source of error I see from your code block about copying the files. The magic is not to copy them to your google drive (actually that is only to save them there once. I saved them there from some download here in this thread and avoided this step). The magic is that you copy them back to the correct linux folder every time you want to run gpuowl. Look at the last sentence and last separate code block here: https://mersenneforum.org/showpost.p...7&postcount=33
Flaukrotist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-09-29, 09:18   #69
kriesel

"TF79LL86GIMPS96gpu17"
Mar 2017
US midwest

2×3×5×193 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaukrotist View Post
I can only guess where your error could be with my very limited knowledge of gpuowl and linux. But I can at least tell, that I could make it work with the help of the zips and code blocks provided in this very thread that moebius has again linked to in his latest post here.

One potential source of error I see from your code block about copying the files. The magic is not to copy them to your google drive (actually that is only to save them there once. I saved them there from some download here in this thread and avoided this step). The magic is that you copy them back to the correct linux folder every time you want to run gpuowl. Look at the last sentence and last separate code block here: https://mersenneforum.org/showpost.p...7&postcount=33
But it was also the same VM session where I did the GCC install that subsequently Moebius's build did not work. I don't understand how copying them from a to b and back to a in the same VM session that installs them can help at all. Or why moebius' build would require such a maneuver when Fan Ming's does not, in the same VM session. Maybe Fan Ming's has it all statically linked?

Last fiddled with by kriesel on 2021-09-29 at 09:25
kriesel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-09-29, 10:07   #70
moebius

Jul 2009
Germany

2·313 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriesel View Post
I don't understand how copying them from a to b and back to a in the same VM session that installs them can help at all.
I just can tell you, that I had to run the complete 'make notebook' from ATH once for every new google account I used. Then the gpuOwl binary worked properly.
moebius is offline   Reply With Quote