mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Math Stuff > Tales From the Crypt(o)

Old 2016-01-26, 23:12   #12
Madpoo
Serpentine Vermin Jar

Jul 2014

331710 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madpoo View Post
Lets Encrypt does the basic DNS verification... nothing more. It's good enough, and it's low cost to them.
I'm going to suck it up and correct myself... they verify by either having the requester add a specific DNS record (proving they actually control that domain) or by adding a resource to the root website for the domain.

Shows what I know... last time I looked at it was summer last year and I forgot some of those details. Whoops.

All that other junk (now that I'm refreshing my memory) about the client and auto-refreshing... bah, I didn't care about all that junk. If you can't figure out how to create a request and submit it I guess they're trying to make it all easier, but whatever.
Madpoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-28, 02:29   #13
frmky

Jul 2003
So Cal

2·3·7·53 Posts

In related news, NFS@Home now supports SSL.
frmky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-29, 16:26   #14
jasonp
Tribal Bullet

Oct 2004

3×1,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by frmky View Post
In related news, NFS@Home now supports SSL.
Why a certificate with a 3-month lifetime?
jasonp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-29, 17:29   #15
lavalamp

Oct 2007
Manchester, UK

2·3·227 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonp View Post
This seemed odd to me as a year would seem like the standard length.

Here is some discussion on it:
https://community.letsencrypt.org/t/...lifetimes/4621

Last fiddled with by lavalamp on 2016-01-29 at 17:29
lavalamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-30, 06:53   #16
frmky

Jul 2003
So Cal

2·3·7·53 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonp View Post
No clue, but unlike Aaron I have no desire to figure out the format to submit a renewal request and am happy to let a daily cron job (as they suggest) do it for me. Here's hoping it just renews itself as promised. We'll see in 2 months.
frmky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-02-01, 04:53   #17
Madpoo
Serpentine Vermin Jar

Jul 2014

331710 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavalamp View Post
This seemed odd to me as a year would seem like the standard length.

Here is some discussion on it:
https://community.letsencrypt.org/t/...lifetimes/4621
I agree with every single one of these cons:
Quote:
Cons:
  • Automated issuance is not yet supported in lots of popular web servers (Azure and IIS in particular).
  • Common non-HTTPS servers (IRC, mail, VPN) may require a restart to load new certificates. Ninety-day certs mean six server restarts per year instead of one, interrupting long-lived connections more frequently.
  • Automated deployment of renewed certificates to routers, firewalls, and Internet of Things devices is difficult.
  • Some operators choose not to run any automated renewal software on their servers. Manually renewing every 60 days is burdensome.
  • More frequent renewals increase the chance that a renewal may fail repeatedly for 30 days while an operator is unavailable, leading to an outage.
  • The official client's renewal implementation still needs work.
  • Some people consider encouraging automated issuance and renewal to be scope creep for Let's Encrypt.
I do NOT agree with any of the supposed pros:
Quote:
Pros:
  • When an attacker compromises a certificate's private key, they may bypass revocation checks34 and use that certificate until it expires. Shorter lifetimes decrease the compromise window in situations like Heartbleed9.
  • Offering free certificates with a shorter lifetime provides encouragement for operators to automate issuance. Automated issuance decreases accidental expiration, which in turn may reduce warning-blindness in end-users.
  • Let's Encrypt's total capacity is bound by its OCSP signing capacity, and LE is required to sign OCSP responses for each certificate until it expires. Shorter expiry period means less overhead for certificates that were issued and then discarded, which in turn means higher total issuance capacity.
So, yeah, they really screwed up the implementation.
Madpoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-02-01, 09:31   #18
xilman
Bamboozled!

"π’‰Ίπ’ŒŒπ’‡·π’†·π’€­"
May 2003
Down not across

11·17·59 Posts

Quote:
Common non-HTTPS servers (IRC, mail, VPN) may require a restart to load new certificates. Ninety-day certs mean six server restarts per year instead of one, interrupting long-lived connections more frequently.
Severe security holes which require a restart are actually quite common --- assuming you are paying attention of course. One restart per annum strongly suggests that you are not paying attention.

Anyway, 6*90 is markedly greater than 365.25
xilman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-02-01, 13:41   #19
lavalamp

Oct 2007
Manchester, UK

2×3×227 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xilman View Post
Anyway, 6*90 is markedly greater than 365.25
I think the recommendation is to auto-renew every 2 months.
lavalamp is offline   Reply With Quote