mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Math Stuff > Tales From the Crypt(o)

Old 2015-11-12, 20:08   #45
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

10,039 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by only_human View Post
edit: well, I just peeked at the slides:
Temperature matters.
chalsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-12, 20:13   #46
only_human

"Gang aft agley"
Sep 2002

72528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalsall View Post
Temperature matters.
I know and to the whole idea of avoiding decoherence it is vitally important. I knew this would be operating in the cold but I had hoped not quite this cold. Even so my limited understanding is that superconducting circuitry is still miles behind silicon know-how.
only_human is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-16, 18:53   #47
jasong

"Jason Goatcher"
Mar 2005

1101101100112 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by only_human View Post
I know and to the whole idea of avoiding decoherence it is vitally important. I knew this would be operating in the cold but I had hoped not quite this cold. Even so my limited understanding is that superconducting circuitry is still miles behind silicon know-how.
What's the point of studying something that can only be used in special circumstances? That being said, it looks like we're well on our way to finding substances that superconduct at a high enough temperature that it would be beneficial to start developing a retail product.

Not that I understand the science all that much. Personally, I like to scan the text for stuff that I can understand, like the fact that the highest temperature superconduction ever achieved was at a temperature above the freezing point of water. Or maybe they were theorizing that, I don't remember. Doesn't really matter since 1.5 million atmospheres of pressure is well beyond anything I can achieve.
jasong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-16, 19:14   #48
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

234678 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasong View Post
What's the point of studying something that can only be used in special circumstances
Because you might learn something?
chalsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-16, 22:22   #49
only_human

"Gang aft agley"
Sep 2002

2×1,877 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasong View Post
What's the point of studying something that can only be used in special circumstances? That being said, it looks like we're well on our way to finding substances that superconduct at a high enough temperature that it would be beneficial to start developing a retail product.

Not that I understand the science all that much. Personally, I like to scan the text for stuff that I can understand, like the fact that the highest temperature superconduction ever achieved was at a temperature above the freezing point of water. Or maybe they were theorizing that, I don't remember. Doesn't really matter since 1.5 million atmospheres of pressure is well beyond anything I can achieve.
What's the point in making a camera so easy to use that a monkey can use it?
only_human is offline   Reply With Quote