mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Extra Stuff > Soap Box

Old 2020-10-08, 18:23   #1332
rogue

"Mark"
Apr 2003
Between here and the

174116 Posts

I'm waiting for the next conspiracy theory that the fly is actually a miniature drone created by the Democrats in an attempt to fluster Pence. Better yet, that it was the deep state using the drone fly to read Pence's notes and communicate them to Harris. He wasn't flustered by the fly, so he clearly won the debate.

I have heard that fans of Saturday Night Live want Jeff Goldblum to appear so that he can once again play the role of The Fly.
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-09, 00:22   #1333
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

3×1,193 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue View Post
<snip>
He wasn't flustered by the fly, so he clearly won the debate.
<snip>
Mike Pence had a fly crawling around on his head for over a minute and apparently didn't even notice. Think about it. If a fly landed on your head, wouldn't you notice? Even back when I had a full head of hair, and kept it cut longer than Mike Pence has his, when I had any insect much bigger than a mosquito land on my head, I noticed it and went to brush it off tout de suite. (The only flies I remember landing on my head were Deer Flies (genus Chrysops, "Golden eye"), which are considerably larger than houseflies. I'd usually notice one homing in on me before it actually landed; and when it did land, it usually managed to deliver a vicious bite as its last act before I crushed it.)

So why didn't Mike Pence notice, or appear to notice?

For a demon from hell, of course, having flies on one's body may be so commonplace as not to be noticeable. But there are other possibilities. Has he been hitting the Botox too hard, perhaps? Or is he among The Walking Dead?
Dr Sardonicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-10, 01:01   #1334
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

3×3,331 Posts

Deer Flies are nasty and fast.

I thought maybe Pence's hair is so glued into shape that it is like a helmet. A fly landing made no impression. Or he was showing how totally imperturbable he is in the face of overwhelming threat.

Finally, the best explanation I've seen for the fly is simple: Pence is a Shithead.

Well, afterthought The fly is a drone. But, it is controlling him through brain waves. This accounts for his flat affect and wooden demeanor.

Last fiddled with by kladner on 2020-10-10 at 02:25
kladner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-10, 14:38   #1335
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

67738 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kladner View Post
Well, afterthought The fly is a drone. But, it is controlling him through brain waves. This accounts for his flat affect and wooden demeanor.
Perhaps it was just a fly, but was controlling Pence through brain waves, by dint of its superior intellect.
Old 2020-10-10, 15:41   #1336
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

999310 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Sardonicus View Post
Perhaps it was just a fly, but was controlling Pence through brain waves, by dint of its superior intellect.
kladner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-10, 17:03   #1337
axn

Jun 2003

126C16 Posts

Quote:
Ratatouille (2007)
axn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-12, 05:32   #1338
MooMoo2

Aug 2010

10010010102 Posts

Quote:
Mike Pence had a fly crawling around on his head for over a minute and apparently didn't even notice. Think about it. If a fly landed on your head, wouldn't you notice? Even back when I had a full head of hair, and kept it cut longer than Mike Pence has his, when I had any insect much bigger than a mosquito land on my head, I noticed it and went to brush it off tout de suite. (The only flies I remember landing on my head were Deer Flies (genus Chrysops, "Golden eye"), which are considerably larger than houseflies. I'd usually notice one homing in on me before it actually landed; and when it did land, it usually managed to deliver a vicious bite as its last act before I crushed it.)

So why didn't Mike Pence notice, or appear to notice?

For a demon from hell, of course, having flies on one's body may be so commonplace as not to be noticeable. But there are other possibilities. Has he been hitting the Botox too hard, perhaps? Or is he among The Walking Dead?
That reminds me of my trip to Uluru last July. There are websites which promote the climb (i.e., https://uluruclimb.wordpress.com/blog/ ) or other outdoor activities that can be done there, but what most of those sites fail to mention are the notorious flies that permeate the Australian Outback. Even during the Australian winter, it sometimes seems that you can't take two steps outside without being swarmed by those creatures.

I took the attached picture on my trip. The only good thing about those annoying critters is that they aren't active at night and typically don't go indoors. Believe it or not, there were no flies in my hotel room or in my rental car. Or maybe they were on my head, and I didn't notice them?

edit: I went during the "quiet season" for flies. This is how it looks like in the Australian fall / late summer:
https://www.abc.net.au/news/rural/20...-video/9764018
https://www.abc.net.au/news/rural/20...tions/12180742
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	flies.png
Views:	37
Size:	778.8 KB
ID:	23524  

Last fiddled with by MooMoo2 on 2020-10-12 at 05:39
MooMoo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-16, 11:42   #1339
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

67738 Posts

White House puts 'politicals' at CDC to try to control info
Quote:
NEW YORK (AP) — The Trump White House has installed two political operatives at the nation's top public health agency to try to control the information it releases about the coronavirus pandemic as the administration seeks to paint a positive outlook, sometimes at odds with the scientific evidence.

The two appointees assigned to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's Atlanta headquarters in June have no public health background. They have instead been tasked with keeping an eye on Dr. Robert Redfield, the agency director, as well as scientists, according to a half-dozen CDC and administration officials who spoke to The Associated Press on the condition of anonymity to discuss internal government affairs.

The appointments were part of a push to get more "politicals" into the CDC to help control messaging after a handful of leaks were "upsetting the apple cart," said an administration official.

When the two appointees showed up in Atlanta, their roles were a mystery to senior CDC staff, the people said. They had not even been assigned offices. Eventually one, Nina Witkofsky, became acting chief of staff, an influential role as Redfield's right hand. The other, her deputy Chester "Trey" Moeller, also began sitting in on scientific meetings, the sources said.
Old 2020-10-22, 00:09   #1340
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

3×1,193 Posts

Quote:
DOJ asks to defend Trump in rape accuser's defamation suit
Quote:
NEW YORK (AP) — The Justice Department is asking to take over President Donald Trump's defense in a defamation lawsuit from a writer who accused him of rape, and federal lawyers asked a court Tuesday to allow a move that could put the American people on the hook for any money she might be awarded.

After New York state courts turned down Trump's request to delay E. Jean Carroll's suit, Justice Department lawyers filed court papers aiming to shift the case into federal court and to substitute the U.S. for Trump as the defendant. That means the federal government, rather than Trump himself, might have to pay damages if any are awarded.
I will consider myself fortunate if this doesn't give me a fatal case of the dry heaves.
Trump rape accuser 'stunned' at DOJ no-show at court hearing
Quote:
NEW YORK (AP) — A woman who has accused President Donald Trump of raping her in the 1990s said she was stunned and speechless after the Justice Department on Wednesday turned down an opportunity to make oral arguments on whether Trump can substitute the United States for himself as the defendant in her defamation lawsuit.

E. Jean Carroll watched from a seat in the top row of a jury box as U.S. District Judge Lewis A. Kaplan gave a government lawyer a chance to argue by phone, after the lawyer who was supposed to argue in person was banned from the courthouse because he traveled from Virginia. New York requires visitors from Virginia to quarantine for 14 days.

William Lane, a Department of Justice civil division attorney, told the judge the government would rest on its papers, meaning it would rely solely on already submitted written arguments.

"I'm stunned, stunned, and actually speechless, which is unusual," Carroll told reporters outside the courthouse.

Attorney Roberta Kaplan, an attorney for Carroll, said it was a "shocking scenario for the government to just, essentially surrender, and not even try to argue the case."
<snip>