Old 2016-09-16, 18:53   #1
henryzz
Just call me Henry

"David"
Sep 2007
Liverpool (GMT/BST)

599910 Posts
Default Bash on Ubuntu on Windows

Has anyone experimented on this at all? Seems to work fairly well. Getting gui apps working seems hit and miss. Firefox seems to work although I can't get primo to work. Need to see what I can compile next.
henryzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-16, 19:15   #2
paulunderwood

Sep 2002
Database er0rr

34×53 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryzz View Post
Has anyone experimented on this at all? Seems to work fairly well. Getting gui apps working seems hit and miss. Firefox seems to work although I can't get primo to work. Need to see what I can compile next.
Primo needs an adjustment to shmax on Linux. I wonder what that is for M$?
paulunderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-16, 19:31   #3
henryzz
Just call me Henry

"David"
Sep 2007
Liverpool (GMT/BST)

135578 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulunderwood View Post
Primo needs an adjustment to shmax on Linux. I wonder what that is for M$?
That makes sense given the error message I got. Not a clue how to change it on this system though. /proc/sys/kernel/shmmax doesn't exist.
I have discovered another couple of people trying and failing on this setup.
Old 2016-09-16, 22:37   #4
wombatman
I moo ablest echo power!

May 2013

17·107 Posts

I've been playing with it as well. GMP and GMP-ECM compile right out of the box. Can't get anything working properly with CUDA, probably due to the same GUI issues.
wombatman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-17, 07:09   #5
casevh

Dec 2005

2510 Posts

When I saw this thread earlier today, I was about to reply with a comment along the lines of "Support for shared memory and semaphores is not available in the Windows Subsystem for Linux. There is an open bug report at ...". However, before I could reply, I received an email from Microsoft stating that support for shared memory and semaphores has been added to the most recent insider preview release. I'm now waiting for my system to get upgraded. I'll reply again after I get the upgrade.
casevh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-17, 13:44   #6
casevh

Dec 2005

52 Posts

It does not immediately work with v14926. The email stated the fix was in v14926+ but I don't know if that include v14926 or if the fix is just in later versions.
Old 2017-07-27, 03:50   #7
casevh

Dec 2005

52 Posts
Default Primo working with build 16251

Responding to an old thread....

My desktop upgraded to Build 16251 today. In the Windows Subsystem for Linux release notes, there was a note that the "beta" status has been removed. I tried primo again and the GUI started and appeared to be functional. I have not done any real testing but it does look like it runs.

I used MobaXterm to provide the X11 server and then used:

export DISPLAY=:0
./primo

casevh

Last fiddled with by casevh on 2017-07-27 at 03:50
Old 2017-07-27, 07:13   #8
ewmayer
2ω=0

Sep 2002
República de California

25×367 Posts

Quote:
I somehow missed this older thread when I posted this new one last week - long story short, no issues building my Mlucas code multithreaded in the bash/ubuntu/gcc built-in. Much mush easier than the older-Win Linux emulation options based on MSYS and MSYS2, and those won't support multithreading without major recoding effort, anyway.
ewmayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-27, 14:48   #9
henryzz
Just call me Henry

"David"
Sep 2007
Liverpool (GMT/BST)

7×857 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by casevh View Post
Responding to an old thread....

My desktop upgraded to Build 16251 today. In the Windows Subsystem for Linux release notes, there was a note that the "beta" status has been removed. I tried primo again and the GUI started and appeared to be functional. I have not done any real testing but it does look like it runs.

I used MobaXterm to provide the X11 server and then used:

export DISPLAY=:0
./primo

casevh
Thanks for confirming this. I had heard that shared memory was supported in the latest version. Unfortunately my desktop hangs at 95% when updating. I think I am going to have to reinstall to upgrade.
Old 2017-07-28, 18:58   #10
casevh

Dec 2005

52 Posts

Quote:
Thanks for confirming this. I had heard that shared memory was supported in the latest version. Unfortunately my desktop hangs at 95% when updating. I think I am going to have to reinstall to upgrade.
This may sound strange, but I've fixed a couple of failing upgrades by performing the upgrade with network connectivity (wireless/wired) disabled.
Old 2017-07-28, 20:16   #11
henryzz
Just call me Henry

"David"
Sep 2007
Liverpool (GMT/BST)

599910 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by casevh View Post
This may sound strange, but I've fixed a couple of failing upgrades by performing the upgrade with network connectivity (wireless/wired) disabled.
I had considered trying it without a network connection. Will try.