Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > PrimeNet

Old 2015-04-01, 06:38   #892
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

2·3·5·7·41 Posts

I believe that there is either a 'problem' with the leftmost end of the banner, or it is a sign that there is a new find, or that ....
Uncwilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-01, 06:58   #893
snme2pm1

"Graham uses ISO 8601"
Mar 2014
AU, Sydney

241 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncwilly View Post
I believe that there is either a 'problem' with the leftmost end of the banner, or it is a sign that there is a new find, or that ....
Yeah I worried for a couple of seconds, that perhaps the server has taken a nose dive subject to more adventurous huge allocation of assignments, and due to over burden, the server is now replaced by a backup facility.
snme2pm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-01, 14:35   #894
Madpoo
Serpentine Vermin Jar

Jul 2014

1100110010102 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by snme2pm1 View Post
Yeah I worried for a couple of seconds, that perhaps the server has taken a nose dive subject to more adventurous huge allocation of assignments, and due to over burden, the server is now replaced by a backup facility.
Could have something to do with the date? (I thought it would have been more obvious... LOL)

Last fiddled with by Madpoo on 2015-04-01 at 14:35
Madpoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-01, 14:38   #895
Madpoo
Serpentine Vermin Jar

Jul 2014

2×1,637 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madpoo View Post
Could have something to do with the date? (I thought it would have been more obvious... LOL)
FYI, my other idea I proposed to George was a new "announcement" along the lines of:
Quote:
After years of effort by thousands of volunteers, GIMPS has finally proven that 20150401 is prime!
Oh well. Those of you who helped test out my changes to the website last year will recognize old Clark Griswold.

The small joke there was that I was doing a Google image search of the Mersenne image, and it came up with that one as "visually similar". Marin must be so happy about that.
Old 2015-04-01, 14:53   #896
Mark Rose

"/X\(‘-‘)/X\"
Jan 2013

3×953 Posts

20150401 = 89 * 226409 ...
Mark Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-01, 15:13   #897
Madpoo
Serpentine Vermin Jar

Jul 2014

2·1,637 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Rose View Post
20150401 = 89 * 226409 ...
Oh, I know...doesn't that kind of makes it funnier? Oh well... I didn't hear back from George before midnight EDT so I just went with the image swap. :)
Old 2015-04-01, 16:08   #898
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

270D16 Posts

Sneaky devil!
kladner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-01, 19:23   #899
Madpoo
Serpentine Vermin Jar

Jul 2014

2×1,637 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retina View Post
The browser can help you here. I think we discussed this previously, but GET requests should be idempotent because the browser gives no warning or notification. POST requests are what you should be using because the browser (if set correctly) will warn about repeated POSTs).
Yeah... it's definitely not ideal as-is.

FYI, I did another parsing of the user activity and include the logged "time-taken" field.

Each time it tried to snag those 12 core/95 assignment batches, the server was taking an average 340 seconds.

With that in mind, if I had my druthers, I'd set a limit on the manual assignment page to limit it in such a way that it can generate them in under 15 seconds or so. Even then that may stretch the patience of some people and there ought to be a "wait while your assignments are being generated" splash.

I remember looking at the speed of assignment generation a few months back as part of helping GPU72 get them more efficiently... there was some point at which it started to take longer exponentially, past some amount of exponents. I didn't do any actual experimentation, it was more just looking at the logs and seeing how long certain requests took. Clearly generating 1140 assignments is a bit too much all at once, and there may be some inefficiencies in the code itself, but it doesn't take 1140 times longer than generating one assignment. (one assignment definitely completes faster than 300 ms).

Some of the extra delay may be in simply generating the HTML output itself, for instance.

Whatever the case, limiting the assignments in any one request to more around 80 or so would make sense in the short term.

e.g. I just requested 108 (12 core x 9 each) and it took 32 seconds. Requesting a mere 80 took 23 seconds. (and now I get to unreserve 188 assignments... )
Old 2015-04-02, 02:58   #900
snme2pm1

"Graham uses ISO 8601"
Mar 2014
AU, Sydney

241 Posts

Quote:
I thought it would have been more obvious.
I did say a couple of seconds.
I was hoping that others would carry the theme further, but alas nobody much wanted to play.
google.com/maps provided a little giggle yesterday.
snme2pm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-02, 03:25   #901
Madpoo
Serpentine Vermin Jar

Jul 2014

63128 Posts

Quote:
e.g. I just requested 108 (12 core x 9 each) and it took 32 seconds. Requesting a mere 80 took 23 seconds. (and now I get to unreserve 188 assignments... )
I'm looking a little closer at the manual assignment page now that I have the time.

A few notes:
  • First time LL assignments are already limited to just 2 per core. I assume that's because we know with some certainty that any more per core will take a while for the user to complete anyway.
  • There's actually no upper limit on the number of assignments per core for other work types. That includes TF, P-1, double-check... even the world-record tests, you could grab as many as you wanted (if you're willing to wait for the server to generate the assignments).
  • Should it say "number of cores" or would it be better to call it "number of worker threads" ? It struck me as odd... but then I run my workers with multiple cores.

Right off the bat I'd suggest setting a limit of a total of maybe no more than 50 assignments in any one batch, and that's just based on the time it takes the server to generate that many. I'm afraid that any more than that and we're going to get more users thinking it's broken and hitting refresh or something.

In this recent case, it led to a bunch of IIS threads taking so long that other requests got queued behind them and even regular access by other folks was getting held up. It wasn't pretty.

Mid-term the page would be redesigned so it's submitting a form, not just refreshing with URL parameters that then generate the assignments. That way hitting F5 will at least prompt the user that doing so would mean resending the form data which would give them a chance to think about it. The page should also spell out that generating a long list will take some time.

We might even calculate in real time (Javascript...sorry LaurV) how many assignments are going to be generated. If someone saw they were asking for 1140 assignments that might trigger them to look again at what they're doing? And then we could give some kind of ballpark estimate of how long it will take.

Like "Total assignments = 1140: Are you sure? -- This will take approximately 6 minutes to generate, please be patient"

I think it might actually be in the neighborhood of 300ms per assignment, at least past a certain point. My tests with 108 and 80 were somewhat consistent with that. Weird, I would have thought it'd be quicker.

The page changes would need some work by George and James. I could probably muddle through the PHP, but beyond setting a limit of max XX assignments per request, it might be best to have them take a look. I can try. I think there's another page that does a POST to submit the data but I fear I'd be out of my depth.

Looking at the code that does the assignment itself might be something I can check out. I don't know how much is done in PHP and how much gets passed to SQL, but there could be some room for tweaking or optimizations.
Old 2015-04-02, 03:28   #902
Madpoo
Serpentine Vermin Jar

Jul 2014

2×1,637 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by snme2pm1 View Post
I did say a couple of seconds.
I was hoping that others would carry the theme further, but alas nobody much wanted to play.
google.com/maps provided a little giggle yesterday.
Yeah... and http://com.google is fun too.

Must be nice to have your own branded top level domain like .GOOGLE ... I guess they finally decided this was a good use of it since they set it up a few months back.