mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > PrimeNet

Old 2014-11-06, 06:23   #837
flagrantflowers

Apr 2014

100000002 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurV View Post
[* OTOH, the "active assignments" page is a special case, it was not meant to be a public page. It circulated in restrained circles for a while…
So how do you look up LL results with a user name query if the two titles are different? Seems you should make the database searchable by public name.

Problem is public names do not have to be unique.

Edit: The last seems to be a trivial point simply to be counter. Apologies.

Last fiddled with by flagrantflowers on 2014-11-06 at 06:25 Reason: Trivial
flagrantflowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-06, 06:56   #838
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter

Jun 2011
Thailand

873610 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by flagrantflowers View Post
So how do you look up LL results with a user name query if the two titles are different?
You can not. Some people don't want to be looked up. For example, I "looked up" for Chris' account "For Research" for ages without success until he told me (and said public on the forum) that his username was "wabbit" (technically, he said it first, but I didn't pay attention) when I wanted to report some results and give him some "credits". By the way, knowing a valid username of somebody else, could result in a situation when some idiot deliberately reports wrong results for other people, to discredit them; as it is now, you don't need my password to report a result, only my user name, so technically you can report 100 random (wrong) LL results for me, making me look like a credit whore; well, not that I am not, but you got the idea This can have side effects for GIMPS as exponents with one LL done will not be LL-ed again (DC-ed) for few years causing a prime to be missed for a while. Just a stupid example how a personal feud can have bad effect on the general project. If you don't know my user name, you can't do that.

Last fiddled with by LaurV on 2014-11-06 at 07:02
LaurV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-07, 00:17   #839
TheMawn

May 2013
East. Always East.

172710 Posts

Quote:
as it is now, you don't need my password to report a result, only my user name
Would things like Misfit and even Prime95.exe shit the bed if the system was changed to require a password? This seems like an obvious vulnerability.
TheMawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-07, 03:22   #840
axn

Jun 2003

2×2,347 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMawn View Post
Would things like Misfit and even Prime95.exe shit the bed if the system was changed to require a password?
Yes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMawn View Post
This seems like an obvious vulnerability.
There is still the secret AID. If that is used in the results submission message, then we should be able to authenticate genuine submissions. If not, ...
axn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-07, 03:37   #841
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter

Jun 2011
Thailand

210408 Posts

They do require you to use a password (at least Misfit does) but the server itself does nothing with the password.
However, adding a password requirement when upload results would be more bad than good. I mean, it would have more negative impact, than positive. Think about manual reporting, about "trading" credits (I would give you my user, but I won't give you my password, unless, I have an investor** password to give to you). Many (anonymous or not) users just report results (factors, etc, sometime obtained by third parties programs) and they don't care about credits or inputting passwords, so if the server requires a password to record those results, then such reports will be forever lost. It is better the "NSA style", we record everything, password or not The amount of all work combined is huge, and every piece counts.

[edit, I was replying to TheMawn, crosspost with axn]
-----------
** In forex trading, the "investor password" gives you limited access to look through charts, perform technical analysis, see account balance, equity and open orders, test Expert Advisors (see MetaTrader platform), etc. You can’t trade with an investor password.The idea is that a fund has a manager who does the trading, and it may have one or more investors which contributed with money, therefore they are allowed to check what the trader is doing with their money, but they can not trade by themselves, or close opened orders.

Last fiddled with by LaurV on 2014-11-07 at 03:46 Reason: s/himself/themselves/, add explanation
LaurV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-13, 01:46   #842
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

270A16 Posts

0144 UTC:

Is anyone else experiencing timeouts during P95 contacting PrimeNet? I've been getting the "CURL Library Error" for an hour or more.

Back to normal. 0242 UTC

Last fiddled with by kladner on 2014-11-13 at 02:42
kladner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-16, 20:52   #843
gLauss

Nov 2014

316 Posts
Default Manual results duplicate?

I've recently restarted with GIMPS, and I'm currently P-1 Factoring as I have plenty of RAM available (10GB :) ).
I use manual assignments, though, as my PC is offline and only on from time to time..
I've reported the P-1 factoring by submitting it in the web form and just copyed the last few lines of the results.txt, including some results I already submitted...
Unfortunately, some results are now duplicate, see e.g.

http://www.mersenne.org/report_expon...8219187&full=1
http://www.mersenne.org/report_expon...8209251&full=1

Some of the reports show "expired" assignments, too:

http://www.mersenne.org/report_expon...8218947&full=1

This seems like a bug to me, how should I continue testing? I currently assigned a LL test, so I don't have this problem for the next month or so...
gLauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-21, 16:39   #844
ric

Jul 2004
Milan, Ita

101101002 Posts
Default Report_ll and usernames with non-ASCII characters

A very minor point, but somehow annoying for some of my scripts: when a username contains non-ASCII characters (ä, ü, ø et al.), at least in report_ll and exponent status pages, username is fetched as an empty string.

A few examples: 559554121 - report LL, 25087351 - report LL (the line with bad result), again 55954121 - exp status. In this last example, username does not appear within the results section, but is however present within history (the last line).

I recall that a few weeks ago there have been adjustments to fetching procedures in order to retrieve all names as coded with Unicode/UTF-8, if someone could put a glance on this...

TIA
ric

PS: not sure if it belongs to this thread, or to "web design"...

Last fiddled with by ric on 2014-11-21 at 16:50
ric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-21, 17:09   #845
James Heinrich

"James Heinrich"
May 2004
ex-Northern Ontario

BCD16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gLauss View Post
Unfortunately, some results are now duplicate, see e.g.
http://www.mersenne.org/report_expon...8219187&full=1
You're reporting the results as an anonymous user:
Code:
UID: ANONYMOUS, M78219187 completed P-1, B1=730000, B2=15330000, E=6, ....
Please be sure that you're logged in to mersenne.org when requesting manual assignments. Nevertheless, your duplicate results were submitted with the same assignment ID and shouldn't have been registered as a duplicate entry. I'm not sure if I understand all that code but I'll see if I can trace why that happened.

Would you mind please submitting another copy of the results line for one of those assignments (let's use M78219187) the way you usually do and let me know what text is shown on screen, especially any error or notification messages (will usually show up in orange/red text).

Last fiddled with by James Heinrich on 2014-11-21 at 17:20
James Heinrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-26, 02:13   #846
Madpoo
Serpentine Vermin Jar

Jul 2014

2·1,637 Posts

Quote:
The reason of having a public display name is exactly to hide the user login name. In spite of the fact that for some of us (me including) they are the same, there are users out there who won't be happy at all if their user login goes public. I don't remember that being the case (as you describe*), ever. The leaderboards always displayed the public name. Which is right. I would advice against changing that.

[* OTOH, the "active assignments" page is a special case, it was not meant to be a public page. It circulated in restrained circles for a while, then George made is public here on the forum (no links in the web page for a while) but he said (see his posts about, few years ago) that it should be used with care, as it stressed the server a lot (I would add: it also encourages poaching). That is not the case now, with the newer, fast, servers. Due to its "special" status, it might be that sometime in the past, the "active assignments" used to display the login names.]
Yeah, I noticed that the assignments page was using the *user name* and not the *public name*, so I fixed it. :)

You're correct, anything that shows info like that should only be using the public name anyway.

I did a quick look through the rest of the pages to see if anything else was using the login/username instead of the public name and I didn't see anything right off, but I reckoned there could be something out there.

That's weird (maybe?) that the LL results page even lets you search by user or public name in any case. I guess there must have been some use case for that in the past... "hey, I'd like to see every result that so and so has checked in".
Madpoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-26, 02:19   #847
Madpoo
Serpentine Vermin Jar

Jul 2014

2×1,637 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kladner View Post
0144 UTC:

Is anyone else experiencing timeouts during P95 contacting PrimeNet? I've been getting the "CURL Library Error" for an hour or more.

Back to normal. 0242 UTC
Sorry, I haven't read the messages in here lately. Whoops.

I'll chalk that one down to FBM (fixed by magic).
Madpoo is offline   Reply With Quote