Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > PrimeNet

Old 2014-08-29, 19:56   #595
Madpoo
Serpentine Vermin Jar

Jul 2014

63128 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalsall View Post
For the last few days, a great deal more assignments are being made than are being released.

I wouldn't have thought anything about this expect that one of my spiders was given over a thousand candidates according to Primenet, but not according to GPU72. 64148129 is just one (of many) examples.

Scott/George/James/Madpoo... Any ideas?
I'll plead ignorance... I don't know how GPU72 gathers stats on assignments but maybe it hasn't checked recently.

I saw you got 64148129 yesterday @ 20:30 UTC, but apart from that I'm not a user on GPU72 so I couldn't check and see if that particular one was still in their available or assigned category.

This is all an unfortunate side effect of me not being a gamer and thus sticking with cheap/built-in graphics.
Madpoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-30, 00:08   #596
Prime95
P90 years forever!

Aug 2002
Yeehaw, FL

714610 Posts

Quote:
For the last few days, a great deal more assignments are being made than are being released.

I wouldn't have thought anything about this expect that one of my spiders was given over a thousand candidates according to Primenet, but not according to GPU72. 64148129 is just one (of many) examples.

The PHP logs show that a large number of your transactions that update the "date cpu last seen" column are getting rolled back. I don't know why or even if it is related.

I've changed the code to not update either the "date cpu last seen" or "date user last seen" columns. Let's see if that helps.

In the meantime, is there anything we can do to help you get the two databases in sync?
Prime95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-30, 05:38   #597
Madpoo
Serpentine Vermin Jar

Jul 2014

2·1,637 Posts

Quote:

If it helps at all, I see your account getting 16 assignments generally every 5 minutes, on the dot, and exactly 16.

That might be normal for what it's doing based on the amount of activity of GPU72 but maybe that can help you track down whatever?
Old 2014-08-30, 18:49   #598
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

3·7·443 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madpoo View Post
If it helps at all, I see your account getting 16 assignments generally every 5 minutes, on the dot, and exactly 16.
That did help -- thank you. I finally figured out the "Stupid Programmer Error" I had made. It was in fact my recycling spider which was causing the problem (it was inapproprately fragile).

Sometime in the last week someone removed a "\n" in the HTML generated by the manual assignment page on Primenet. Stupidly, I had told my spider to watch for the string "PrimeNet Get Manual Assignment" before watching for assignments over a year ago.

After this change, the same line contained the first assignment, but did not run through the rest of the parcing code. Thus, half of all assignments were missed by the spider and then went into "limbo".

Sorry about this. I'm backing out of all "forgotten" assignments.
chalsall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-30, 19:01   #599
James Heinrich

"James Heinrich"
May 2004
ex-Northern Ontario

2×3×503 Posts

Quote:
Sometime in the last week someone removed a "\n" in the HTML generated by the manual assignment page on Primenet.
I guess the more Stupid Programmers involved the higher the chance of SPEs...
The change of output was probably my fault, if so I apologize.
James Heinrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-30, 19:59   #600
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

3·7·443 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Heinrich View Post
The change of output was probably my fault, if so I apologize.
Please don't apologize.

My code made assumptions, very explicitely under my direction.
Old 2014-09-01, 17:47   #601
Madpoo
Serpentine Vermin Jar

Jul 2014

2×1,637 Posts

Quote:
Please don't apologize.

My code made assumptions, very explicitely under my direction.
I wonder if George could set you up to use the API for bulk check in/out requests. It might make everything easier in the long run. Or have you looked at that option before?
Old 2014-09-01, 18:14   #602
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

930310 Posts

Quote:
I wonder if George could set you up to use the API for bulk check in/out requests. It might make everything easier in the long run. Or have you looked at that option before?
We have. George gave me (read: GPU72) a private key which I use for some communications for some of my spiders.

But, at the end of the day, GPU72 is quite seperate from Primenet, and massive queries were not originally envisioned. And, frankly, I prefer it this way -- compartmentation of issues goes a long way in debugging....
Old 2014-09-02, 15:46   #603
Madpoo
Serpentine Vermin Jar

Jul 2014

2×1,637 Posts
Default Performance upgrades

I've made a few minor tweaks to the website which should help pages load faster.

First, a baseline before anything was done. Home page fully loaded in 2.316 seconds:
http://www.webpagetest.org/result/14...KQ0/1/details/

I mentioned a while back that the Shaw Binary logo was a large animated GIF, and now that the hosting isn't tied to that anymore, the logo has been removed. Home page now loads in 2.311 seconds, but it starts it's render faster and doc complete comes sooner too:
http://www.webpagetest.org/result/14...M5A/1/details/

And last minor tweak was to add the "async" attribute to the Google Translate script. Chrome, Firefox and newer IE will load that asynchronously now which is a big improvement. Full load in 2.051 seconds, so not totally faster, but the start render time is MUCH faster. 0.895 seconds compared to 1.2/1.3 seconds before. Not waiting for the translate button to load it's own CSS is a huge deal.
http://www.webpagetest.org/result/14...M8B/1/details/

There are a few other minor tweaks that can be made to boost page load speeds by a couple hundred milliseconds across the board, but those changes above (the logo removal and async'ing the Translate widget) were the big ones.

Enjoy!
Old 2014-09-02, 16:35   #604
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

3×7×443 Posts

Quote:
Enjoy!
Sincerely, many will.
Old 2014-09-02, 16:40   #605
James Heinrich

"James Heinrich"
May 2004
ex-Northern Ontario

2×3×503 Posts

There's a new manual results form in the works (yes, it cures the wrong-factor-type bug that's been around since forever). Email or PM me if you want to help beta-test it.
James Heinrich is offline   Reply With Quote