Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > PrimeNet

Old 2016-10-13, 18:22   #1145
James Heinrich

"James Heinrich"
May 2004
ex-Northern Ontario

22×5×151 Posts

It's not my site so I can't just change things without asking

The code is patched, pending George's approval.
James Heinrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-14, 00:47   #1146
Madpoo
Serpentine Vermin Jar

Jul 2014

2×1,637 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retina View Post
Why not? If the DB uses foreign keys properly then it shouldn't be an issue at all.
I'm not sure either... Changing the "display" name is one thing, but changing the login name is another. I guess I've seen websites that go both ways on that.

On the one hand... why not allow it? It's just the name they type in to login.

On the other hand, letting them change it can cause issues if not done right because login names need to be unique, so the code would have to check if the desired new name is in use and then prompt the user if it's taken.

Another problem involves whether users wishing to change that login name are aware they'd have to edit that setting in Prime95 to match? If not, they definitely won't get the desired results and may end up causing the client to create a new user using that old name (I don't really know if that's how it works, but just throwing the idea out there).

In short, it may be better to avoid the complexities and if someone is really determined to change the login name, they can email George and have that done manually.

My day job running websites has a system just like that, where the unique login name and display name are different, and you can change the display name but changing login names is a manual task, and we simply have no plans to do it any differently. Out of the large # of users across multiple sites, it simply just doesn't come up often enough to even warrant the hours of dev time. The one or two per month that do ask, it takes me a few seconds each. Over the past 365 days I'd be surprised if I spent 5 minutes total time doing that, compared to I don't know how many hours of dev/qa time.
Madpoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-14, 01:24   #1147
Prime95
P90 years forever!

Aug 2002
Yeehaw, FL

714910 Posts

I'd be inclined to disallow changing the login name. 1) No one ever sees the login name, other users only see the display name. 2) The user may not be aware that all his prime95 clients will need to be updated. I fear the user won't understand this, his prime95s will submit under the wrong userid which will get credited to anonymous, and he'll ask us to clean up the mess.

Furthermore, this is the first time someone has asked since 2008.
Prime95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-14, 02:31   #1148
GP2

Sep 2003

A1416 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime95 View Post
No one ever sees the login name, other users only see the display name.
Unless... er, hypothetically that is... unless someone mixes up the perfectly clear instructions on http://www.mersenne.org/update/ for updating a V4 account to V5 and the semi-random string that was supposed to be one's login name ends up being the display name...
GP2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-14, 02:50   #1149
Mark Rose

"/X\(‘-‘)/X\"
Jan 2013

32·317 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime95 View Post
I'd be inclined to disallow changing the login name. 1) No one ever sees the login name, other users only see the display name. 2) The user may not be aware that all his prime95 clients will need to be updated. I fear the user won't understand this, his prime95s will submit under the wrong userid which will get credited to anonymous, and he'll ask us to clean up the mess.

Furthermore, this is the first time someone has asked since 2008.
One reason why I asked is because it appears editable.
Mark Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-14, 03:04   #1150
James Heinrich

"James Heinrich"
May 2004
ex-Northern Ontario

22×5×151 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Rose View Post
That will soon be fixed.
James Heinrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-14, 03:23   #1151
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

97·103 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Rose View Post
[OT]A manager of mine in a Service Bureau division of a photo lab, where we dealt with digital text a lot, loved to refer to "edible text." (He was a real nice boss, too.)[/OT]
kladner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-18, 17:53   #1152
petrw1
1976 Toyota Corona years forever!

"Wayne"
Nov 2006
Saskatchewan, Canada

2·11·199 Posts
Default eMail notification of suspicious/bad results

I just turned this on for a few PCs and almost immediately got emails on the topic.

However, these emails were for results turned in months ago.

I think when this option is enabled it should not look for historical results ... or in the least not beyond the last result turned in for that PC.
petrw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-21, 16:26   #1153
Madpoo
Serpentine Vermin Jar

Jul 2014

2·1,637 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrw1 View Post
I just turned this on for a few PCs and almost immediately got emails on the topic.

However, these emails were for results turned in months ago.

I think when this option is enabled it should not look for historical results ... or in the least not beyond the last result turned in for that PC.
I'm not 100% sure how that feature works, but I think it keeps track of when it last emailed you and will only email info between then and now.

When first enabling, I guess it treats your "last email sent" as "never" so it's just catching you up?

Just guessing...
Madpoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-11-01, 21:19   #1154
Mark Rose

"/X\(‘-‘)/X\"
Jan 2013

32·317 Posts

I came across an interesting bug:

1. I had an LL assignment that expired
2. I assigned the LL assignment again using the worktodo trick
3. Now /cpus/ will occasionally show that the machine having -16 days to go or whatever on the expired assignment, even when it's working on a new assignment.
Mark Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-11-11, 20:16   #1155
ric

Jul 2004
Milan, Ita

18010 Posts
Default Assignments list sneezing?

Apparently, since a couple of days the page My Account/Assignments returns exponents randomly, rather than ordered by ascending exponent as before.
Emptied and refreshed cache, changed browser, another OS - all the usual stuff, but this sneezing <g> behavior remains... is it just me?
ric is offline   Reply With Quote