mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Factoring Projects > Factoring

Old 2015-09-03, 19:43   #45
jasonp
Tribal Bullet

Oct 2004

67118 Posts

Late last year the CWI NFS suite was released as LGPL-licensed open source; link in the first post above.

Note that there is no commitment of support for the code.
jasonp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-05, 12:50   #46
R.D. Silverman

Nov 2003

22×5×373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonp View Post
Late last year the CWI NFS suite was released as LGPL-licensed open source; link in the first post above.

Note that there is no commitment of support for the code.
Yes!!! Note that it was written for linux.

See the 'bad hair day" thread. I am trying to get the CWI post processing suite built and
compiled in a 64-bit windows environment. And having a major headache.

The code is written in C99. Visual Studio does not support many of the C99 extensions....
There is some assembler code. Written for gcc. VS requires MASM syntax...

etc. etc.
R.D. Silverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-05, 12:53   #47
R.D. Silverman

Nov 2003

22×5×373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.D. Silverman View Post
Yes!!! Note that it was written for linux.

See the 'bad hair day" thread. I am trying to get the CWI post processing suite built and
compiled in a 64-bit windows environment. And having a major headache.

The code is written in C99. Visual Studio does not support many of the C99 extensions....
There is some assembler code. Written for gcc. VS requires MASM syntax...

etc. etc.
BTW, I am willing to make the results of my efforts available in exchange for
advice that I might request as I run into problems during the conversion.
Old 2015-09-05, 13:05   #48
R.D. Silverman

Nov 2003

22·5·373 Posts

Quote:
BTW, I am willing to make the results of my efforts available in exchange for
advice that I might request as I run into problems during the conversion.
Just to give some flavor:

Request #1.

One file, verbosity.c makes a call to setlinebuf(stream). Setlinebuf is supposed to be part of stdio.h

The code compiles, but the linker can't find setlinebuf as part of the stdio object library. VS does not
include it. Any advice????? Is there an ioctl() call that might replace it???

verbosity.c also includes <unistd,h>, I managed to work around that problem.

The code also makes calls to snprintf(...). This is nice, because snprintf prevents buffer overflows
unlike ordinary printf(). But Microsoft does not include it in their libraries. As it turns out, Microsoft
does provide their own version of this routine: _snprintf(). Yes, with a leading underscore.
Snooping with Google is what revealed this info....

The code also includes <sys/time.h> and <stdbool.h>. Neither recognized by VS.
I replaced the latter, but need to track down a work around for the former.....

Progress is slow..... Find a problem. Figure out how to fix it. Lather, Rinse, repeat.
Old 2015-09-05, 13:21   #49
rogue

"Mark"
Apr 2003
Between here and the

2×3×983 Posts

Quote:
One file, verbosity.c makes a call to setlinebuf(stream). Setlinebuf is supposed to be part of stdio.h

The code compiles, but the linker can't find setlinebuf as part of the stdio object library. VS does not
include it. Any advice????? Is there an ioctl() call that might replace it???
Convert to setvbuf(), which is supported by Visual Studio. You can probably do it with a macro. There are examples on the internet on how to do that.
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-05, 13:56   #50
R.D. Silverman

Nov 2003

11101001001002 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue View Post
Convert to setvbuf(), which is supported by Visual Studio. You can probably do it with a macro. There are examples on the internet on how to do that.
Yep!
Old 2015-09-14, 05:46   #51
Gary

"Gary"
Aug 2015
Texas

618 Posts

After pursuing other activities for the last 12 years, I have become interested again in searching for factors of Fermat numbers. I have been reading with great interest the many resources now available online, include this mersenneforum.org and the excellent site fermatsearch.org. Back in the 80’s and 90’s there was a lot of duplication of ranges searched by different researchers. Several of us wished for a search range co-ordination site, and now fermatserch.org is providing it. Bravo Luigi for setting this up!

I am evaluating the search programs that are available now, comparing their performance to the programs I used last century JThe Productivity page on fermatsearch.org has been extremely helpful in identifying the various programs and their relative speeds at different values of N. I have downloaded both Fermat.exe and GMP-Fermat for Windows and have done some testing on my PC. I have access to a few Linux servers at work, so I have a few questions that I thought I would pose to this “community” in hopes of getting some guidance and making some new friends.

1) Are there any other available programs not listed on the Productivity page that are similar in performance or faster that I should evaluate? I am most interested in “small” n < ~5000.
2) Is there a Linux version of GMP-Fermat available somewhere? Both the binary and source code links on the Downloads page of fermatsearch.org appear to be stale.

Any help or advice would be most appreciated. Thanks!

Gary
Gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-15, 12:04   #52
R.D. Silverman

Nov 2003

22·5·373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary View Post
After pursuing other activities for the last 12 years, I have become interested again in searching for factors of Fermat numbers. I have been reading with great interest the many resources now available online, include this mersenneforum.org and the excellent site fermatsearch.org. Back in the 80’s and 90’s there was a lot of duplication of ranges searched by different researchers. Several of us wished for a search range co-ordination site, and now fermatserch.org is providing it. Bravo Luigi for setting this up!

I am evaluating the search programs that are available now, comparing their performance to the programs I used last century JThe Productivity page on fermatsearch.org has been extremely helpful in identifying the various programs and their relative speeds at different values of N. I have downloaded both Fermat.exe and GMP-Fermat for Windows and have done some testing on my PC. I have access to a few Linux servers at work, so I have a few questions that I thought I would pose to this “community” in hopes of getting some guidance and making some new friends.

1) Are there any other available programs not listed on the Productivity page that are similar in performance or faster that I should evaluate? I am most interested in “small” n < ~5000.
2) Is there a Linux version of GMP-Fermat available somewhere? Both the binary and source code links on the Downloads page of fermatsearch.org appear to be stale.

Gary
Hi Gary! Welcome back!

I can not advice. Others can. This is not my area of interest.
Old 2015-09-21, 19:17   #53
ET_
Banned

"Luigi"
Aug 2002
Team Italia

10010100111102 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary View Post

Gary
Hi Gary, I m Luigi Morelli.

Thank you for the good words you threw aat Fermatsearch.org site management, it is a work we all try to accomplish helping one another with news.

As for our questions: yes I have a precompiled version of GMP-Fermat for Linux, and the source code available.
Note that there is a newer versin (I think it's v.2.4) that uses assembly routines to speed it up. I think Mark Rodenkirch is the actual maintainer.

George Woltman developed mmff, an extremely program to factor Mersenne and Fermat numbers using CUDA and Oliver "TheJudger" factoring code (mfaktc). I have both the source and theLinux version 0.28, and the Windows version 0.27 is on the site.

Luigi
ET_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-09, 11:58   #54
jasonp
Tribal Bullet

Oct 2004

3,529 Posts

discussion for nw PSIQS package moved here

Last fiddled with by jasonp on 2016-01-09 at 13:36
jasonp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-11-11, 18:44   #55
Jeff Gilchrist

Jun 2003
Ottawa, Canada

7·167 Posts

I finally had time to update my Windows factoring binary page with newer versions of all the tools:
http://gilchrist.ca/jeff/factoring/

Special thanks to Brian Gladman and Gábor Stefanik for compiling and/or packaging the updates.

At the same time I updated the NFS Beginners Guide for the latest verison of Brian Gladman's factmsieve.py script:
http://gilchrist.ca/jeff/factoring/n...ers_guide.html
Jeff Gilchrist is offline   Reply With Quote