mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Factoring Projects > Factoring

Old 2019-02-28, 23:25   #1
SALMONMILK

Feb 2019

116 Posts
Default Applications of factoring besides crypto?

Hi all,

I am wondering if there are any uses for number factorization besides cryptography. I have been trying to research the answer for a long time and cannot seem to find anything besides cryptography. I am familiar with RSA and the other crypto schemes that are related on Wikipedia, but that is about it when it comes to factoring.

I have come across a version of the fast-fourier transform (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prime-..._FFT_algorithm) that says prime factor in its name, but I do not have the knowledge to be able to understand what it does or means. Does it utilize number factorization?

So really the main question: Are there any known applications for number factorization besides cryptography?

Any information is greatly appreciated. I am just deeply curious and have been unable to find any information.

Thanks so much
SALMONMILK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-03-01, 09:10   #2
xilman
Bamboozled!

"π’‰Ίπ’ŒŒπ’‡·π’†·π’€­"
May 2003
Down not across

2×32×569 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SALMONMILK View Post
I have come across a version of the fast-fourier transform (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prime-..._FFT_algorithm) that says prime factor in its name, but I do not have the knowledge to be able to understand what it does or means. Does it utilize number factorization?
The classical FFT, which applies to data with a length of 2n exploits the (almost trivial) factorization to earn the subriquet "Fast" by dividing a range of data into two sub-ranges each half the size of the original. Similar approaches, though not as efficient, can exploit small prime factors, p, to divide the range into p portions, each 1/p the size of the original.
xilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-03-02, 17:26   #3
chris2be8

Sep 2009

2·33·5·7 Posts

AFAIK it's main other use is mathematical research.

Read the "Links to factoring projects" https://mersenneforum.org/showthread.php?t=9611 thread in this forum and follow the links to see what is being worked on now.

Chris
chris2be8 is offline   Reply With Quote