mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > Hardware > GPU Computing

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2020-09-12, 16:39   #1
storm5510
Random Account
 
storm5510's Avatar
 
Aug 2009
U.S.A.

17·89 Posts
Default Upgrade under consideration.

I am seriously considering upgrading my GPU to a RTX 2080. If this happens, then my GTX 1080 would go back into its box. I might be willing to part with the 1080 if I could get a little bit out of it. It's never been overclocked and I never allowed it's temperature to exceed 75°C.
storm5510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-09-12, 17:10   #2
moebius
 
moebius's Avatar
 
Jul 2009
Germany

5248 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by storm5510 View Post
I am seriously considering upgrading my GPU to a RTX 2080.
Look at the values ​​for a 2080 Ti, even those aren't great, only slightly faster than a Ryzen 7 3700x processor in LL DC.
https://www.mersenneforum.org/attach...5&d=1587055361
moebius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-09-12, 18:05   #3
firejuggler
 
firejuggler's Avatar
 
Apr 2010
Over the rainbow

240910 Posts
Default

Nvidia might produce a 26xx series (like the 1660 ti) in a few months. So maybe wait a bit?
firejuggler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-09-12, 23:40   #4
storm5510
Random Account
 
storm5510's Avatar
 
Aug 2009
U.S.A.

101111010012 Posts
Default

I just ordered this from a seller on eBay, so there was not much time for waiting. I grilled the seller about the authenticity. He assures me it is the genuine item and sent GPU-Z screenshots. He's based in Connecticut and has a 100% approval rating. I look at these things closely before I step into something like this. So, I'm not too much worried.

I had considered building an entirely new rig around a 12-core Ryzen 9 CPU. However, I run GPU programs over 90% of the time. This made less and less sense as I thought about it. I would have still been using the 1080. The majority of the work I run is P-1. With the size of the exponents ever increasing, it was time for an update.
storm5510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-09-13, 16:37   #5
kracker
ἀβουλία
 
kracker's Avatar
 
"Mr. Meeseeks"
Jan 2012
California, USA

5·433 Posts
Default

I would suggest waiting for Ampere or even RDNA2 to drop - even if you don't get those cards I suspect the second-hand older gen cards will drop in price.
kracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
GPU upgrade chris2be8 GPU Computing 8 2015-11-14 17:05
Everything will be down for server upgrade Joe O Sierpinski/Riesel Base 5 2 2010-12-05 15:14
How would you upgrade this? jasong Factoring 5 2005-09-09 19:26
ga-7dx upgrade crash893 Hardware 4 2002-09-26 06:27
Upgrade and XP now crashes!!!! johnymccarthy Software 13 2002-09-26 05:08

All times are UTC. The time now is 06:12.

Wed Sep 23 06:12:38 UTC 2020 up 13 days, 3:23, 0 users, load averages: 1.39, 1.56, 1.63

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum has received and complied with 0 (zero) government requests for information.

Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.2 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation.
A copy of the license is included in the FAQ.