mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Factoring Projects > FermatSearch

Old 2019-01-16, 13:45   #34
feromant

"Roman"
Dec 2016
Everywhere

2×13 Posts
Default New version of program feromant_CUDA (v2.018) for Linux is released!

With a little delay, but with great joy I present the Linux build of
feromant_cuda (v2.018). The build is compiled under CUDA 10.0 and
supports GPUs generation Kepler (sm_3.0 and sm_3.5), Maxwell (sm_5.0 and
sm_5.2), Pascal (sm_6.1), Volta (sm_7.0) and Turing (sm_7.5). To run the
program, you will need a CUDA driver version 410 or higher.

You will find it in the download page.
feromant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-04-06, 18:00   #35
Gary

"Gary"
Aug 2015
Texas

72 Posts

Is there a version of feromant (CPU only) for Linux? Thanks!
Gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-04-14, 08:57   #36
feromant

"Roman"
Dec 2016
Everywhere

110102 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary View Post
Is there a version of feromant (CPU only) for Linux? Thanks!
Gary, I apologize for not responding promptly. No version feromant under Linux yet. If I have free time, I will definitely build under Linux. The difficulty lies in the large amount of asm code that will have to be converted from wasm to gas.
Old 2019-04-19, 20:23   #37
Gary

"Gary"
Aug 2015
Texas

72 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by feromant View Post
Gary, I apologize for not responding promptly. No version feromant under Linux yet. If I have free time, I will definitely build under Linux. The difficulty lies in the large amount of asm code that will have to be converted from wasm to gas.
Thanks Roman. I would like to try out Feromant on one of my servers at work, since (according to Fermatsearch) Feromant is the fastest CPU only program for many ranges of N and is multi-threaded. Unfortunately the system is Linux only and no GPU. If you find time to create a Linux version I would be happy to help with testing and benchmarking. The server is a 64 core Epyc system, which should make things interesting.
Old 2019-04-23, 14:04   #38
mathwiz

Mar 2019

7×13 Posts

For a given range of N and k to test, is feromant_cuda faster than mmff? Does feromant_cuda do some pre-sieving that mmff does not? Thanks!
mathwiz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-04-23, 17:16   #39
feromant

"Roman"
Dec 2016
Everywhere

328 Posts

Quote:
Feromant is the fastest CPU only program for many ranges of N
Probably Yes.

Quote:
Feromant is multi-threaded.
No.
Old 2019-04-23, 17:39   #40
feromant

"Roman"
Dec 2016
Everywhere

2×13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathwiz View Post
For a given range of N and k to test, is feromant_cuda faster than mmff? Does feromant_cuda do some pre-sieving that mmff does not? Thanks!
No, because mmff uses pre-sieving on the GPU, and feromant_cuda does pre-sieving on the CPU, and the surviving candidates are transferred to the GPU and the divisibility is checked on GPU. The scope of these programmes is important. If factorbit<252 (maximum mmff), better use of the mmff. In the range 252<factorbit<640 (approximately 200<N<600) feromant_cuda is out of competition.
Old 2019-04-24, 00:00   #41
mathwiz

Mar 2019

7×13 Posts

Quote:
No, because mmff uses pre-sieving on the GPU, and feromant_cuda does pre-sieving on the CPU, and the surviving candidates are transferred to the GPU and the divisibility is checked on GPU. The scope of these programmes is important. If factorbit<252 (maximum mmff), better use of the mmff. In the range 252<factorbit<640 (approximately 200<N<600) feromant_cuda is out of competition.
Thanks! In fact I just discovered the table and info at http://www.fermatsearch.org/productivity.html which confirms what you said.

I'm curious how up-to-date the numbers in that table are? (and of course they depend heavily on the CPU+GPU used). For example, is it still the case that around n=100, mmff and feromant_cuda are about equally fast?
mathwiz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-04-24, 09:06   #42
ET_
Banned

"Luigi"
Aug 2002
Team Italia

2×2,383 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathwiz View Post
Thanks! In fact I just discovered the table and info at http://www.fermatsearch.org/productivity.html which confirms what you said.

I'm curious how up-to-date the numbers in that table are? (and of course they depend heavily on the CPU+GPU used). For example, is it still the case that around n=100, mmff and feromant_cuda are about equally fast?
Yes. Since mmff was delivered many years ago and never updated since, an Feromant_CUDA was modified to make it working faster and deeper at high ranges, the data should be correct. Maybe mmff could have a small boost from the data shown using Nvidia RTX 20- series graphics cards.
ET_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-04-27, 14:40   #43
Gary

"Gary"
Aug 2015
Texas

3116 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary
Feromant is multi-threaded.

No.
In the table at http://www.fermatsearch.org/download.php Feromant has a "y" in the M/T column, which I interpreted to mean Feromant is multi-threaded. Thanks for the correction Roman.

Luigi, should the table be changed to Feromant M/T = n? Also, does the M/T column just refer to the CPU portion of the program? I assume that all the GPU based programs use many GPU cores / threads. Maybe add a table footnote defining what M/T means. Thanks!
Old 2019-04-28, 13:36   #44
ET_
Banned

"Luigi"
Aug 2002
Team Italia

2×2,383 Posts

Quote:
In the table at http://www.fermatsearch.org/download.php Feromant has a "y" in the M/T column, which I interpreted to mean Feromant is multi-threaded. Thanks for the correction Roman.

Luigi, should the table be changed to Feromant M/T = n? Also, does the M/T column just refer to the CPU portion of the program? I assume that all the GPU based programs use many GPU cores / threads. Maybe add a table footnote defining what M/T means. Thanks!
Working on it, thanks. I obviously considered CUDA capable programs as m/t.
The following programs are CPU M/T:

GFNDsieve (siever)
ppsieve (siever)
SrSieve (siever)
LLR
PMFS
Prime95

Should I add it as a footnote?

Last fiddled with by ET_ on 2019-04-28 at 13:45
ET_ is offline   Reply With Quote