Old 2016-06-25, 03:48   #35
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter

Jun 2011
Thailand

2×11×397 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalsall View Post
Not necessarily. It depend on what you want, what you need, and what you can provide.

I have personally found that partnering with others can be advantageous to all parties, so long as everyone understands the agreed terms and don't have unrealistic expectations.
+1. In our language we say that two oxen at an oxcart worth only if both oxen pull in the same direction, otherwise your cart will be better and faster with a single ox. If two oxen pull in different directions, your wagon will be dismembered instead of going somewhere...
LaurV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-25, 17:13   #36
The Carnivore

Jun 2010

22·47 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfd64 View Post
I'm almost 31 and have never been in a real relationship either. Pretty sad, right?
No:
http://waitbutwhy.com/2014/02/pick-life-partner.html

Quote:
The rule should be “whatever you do, don’t marry the wrong person,” but society frowns much more upon a 37-year-old single person than it does an unhappily married 37-year-old with two children. It makes no sense—the former is one step away from a happy marriage, while the latter must either settle for permanent unhappiness or endure a messy divorce just to catch up to where the single person is.
Quote:
A single person who would like to find a great relationship is one step away from it, with their to-do list reading, “1) Find a great relationship.” People in unhappy relationships, on the other hand, are three leaps away, with a to-do list of “1) Go through a soul-crushing break-up. 2) Emotionally recover. 3) Find a great relationship.” Not as bad when you look at it that way, right?
Now if you were stuck for many years in a relationship that you hate, that's pretty sad.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	full picture.png
Views:	86
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	14573  

Last fiddled with by The Carnivore on 2016-06-25 at 17:18 Reason: adding quote
The Carnivore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-01, 19:16   #37
MooMoo2

Aug 2010

56410 Posts

I'm still happily single and not looking for anyone.

But I couldn't sleep last night, so I did a thought experiment. What if I were looking for someone? Could I get that person?

So I came up with a half-baked spreadsheet that used a modified form of the Drake equation to find out if there are any partners out there for me. I'm sure that I'm not the first person to have thought about this, so I've attached my version. You can add/delete some parameters and modify the percentages to customize it.

Some of the characteristics (personality, for instance), can be broken down further (honesty, independence, empathy, etc.), but I've simplified this for now.

I'm not going to tell you how may people are out there for me in this post. You'll have to click the attachments/links to find out

https://www.sendspace.com/file/f0b2qv
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Freedom!.pdf (55.5 KB, 97 views)
MooMoo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-02, 07:08   #38
pinhodecarlos

"Carlos Pinho"
Oct 2011
Milton Keynes, UK

5·941 Posts

Do you have any pet?
pinhodecarlos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-02, 07:56   #39
CRGreathouse

Aug 2006

3×1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooMoo2 View Post
So I came up with a half-baked spreadsheet that used a modified form of the Drake equation to find out if there are any partners out there for me. I'm sure that I'm not the first person to have thought about this, so I've attached my version. You can add/delete some parameters and modify the percentages to customize it.
I found it interesting to compare your implicit standards to mine. I was considerably less picky about similar interests (you said 10%, I was close to 100%) and required similar or higher earnings (30%) while I dated at least one person who was unemployed. On the other hand I had higher standards on intelligence (you said 35%, I would say 2%, but in fairness you asked for a degree so in concert it's more like 5 to 1 than 17 to 1).
CRGreathouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-02, 12:28   #40
pepi37

Dec 2011
After milion nines:)

32·149 Posts

I have 40+ and still I am alone. Reading all topics in this thread, in the whole world situation is same: if you dont have wife and you passed some ages that people around you consider normal for wedding, then something is wrong with you. In my county, like in others people get married and then in next few years many of them get divorced.
So what they got with fact that they was married some time ago? Nothing.

I have last relationship before 3 years, and from that time I am alone. And I am alive, happy , and have smile on my face. Does you need any more?
Of course that I will love to have girlfriend, but with ages passed, it is more and more difficulty to find one. So if that has to be that way, let it be.I certainly will not be the first or the last single on planet Earth

P.S I am hiking guide and member of second largest hiking club in my country. I have "label" of person that searching for "brojčica" (the diminution of the word number).
Almost nobody understands what I'm looking for, but it's really interesting to women
So who know: maybe prime number give me wife :)
Time will show
pepi37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-02, 13:29   #41
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter

Jun 2011
Thailand

2×11×397 Posts

Nice one to read. Honestly I found it a bit snobbish, I would be less picky for the most of the things. You never know what the life reserves for you. Not long ago I told here a story about one of my German colleagues who, when he came in Asia, he didn't like Asian people much. Cultural differences. He said that he could never be attached to an Asian woman so much to take it back with him to Germany, and if he would do it, then he was imagining that she will die of boredom there, as she would not be able to cope with the "so advanced" German society. Well, he ended up married with an average Thai woman. They are quite happy together. He grew up a lot in the last years, too...

Me and Mrs LaurV, we are totally opposite, in all the aspects. Studies, fields of interest, temperament, name it. People who know me and her, here on the forum, can confirm that. We completed each other very well for more than 30 years... And we still hope for another 30 or so.

As I said many times here on the forum, our strength (humanity's) stays in the fact that we are different.

Last fiddled with by LaurV on 2017-07-02 at 13:35
LaurV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-02, 14:07   #42
pepi37

Dec 2011
After milion nines:)

32×149 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurV View Post
Nice one to read. Honestly I found it a bit snobbish, I would be less picky for the most of the things. You never know what the life reserves for you......
I respect your view of life, and if I may say I can say that you are really happy person, because, as you say, you ,and your wife are opposite . But that doesnot work every time, we are so different.
Would you suggest me, that I "pick" first women I found and live with her? You know that cannot be always a winner ticket in life lottery :)
If I may ( and I may since my life is my own life) I rather choose to life happy, and alone :)
Living with someone and have face throat is not option for me :)
pepi37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-02, 14:07   #43
Mini-Geek
Account Deleted

"Tim Sorbera"
Aug 2006
San Antonio, TX USA

102538 Posts

Is your spreadsheet describing the ideal partner, or a minimum: would any one of those things not being met be a deal-breaker? That may explain some of the pickiness that we're perceiving.
Mini-Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-02, 15:57   #44
MooMoo2

Aug 2010

22·3·47 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinhodecarlos View Post
Do you have any pet?
Not now. I had a fish, rabbit, and hamster at one point in my life, but not at the same time. The fish lived the longest (just a bit over 4 years).

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRGreathouse View Post
I found it interesting to compare your implicit standards to mine. I was considerably less picky about similar interests (you said 10%, I was close to 100%) and required similar or higher earnings (30%) while I dated at least one person who was unemployed. On the other hand I had higher standards on intelligence (you said 35%, I would say 2%, but in fairness you asked for a degree so in concert it's more like 5 to 1 than 17 to 1).
I put 10% because a lot of the things I'm interested in are heavily skewed towards guys instead of girls (just estimate the male-female ratio of this forum!). If I were gay, the figure would probably be around 50% or maybe even a bit higher.

On another note, I think I should have put "history of similar earnings" instead. Dating someone who's unemployed would depend on the situation. If she had a decent job, got laid off, and was actively searching for work, that would be OK. But if she's been unemployed for a year and never had a job that paid above minimum wage, that would be a deal breaker.
MooMoo2 is offline   Reply With Quote