mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Fun Stuff > Lounge

Old 2016-06-13, 17:50   #12
pepi37

Dec 2011
After milion nines:)

32×149 Posts

The first rule of life to be learned is to be alone ( but not lonely ) and be happy . When we learn that lesson the rest is far easier , and thus find the other half.
Today's society , education and parents teach us the opposite : that we can be alone and happy , which is totally wrong and it puts a heavy burden on the young people who just stepped through life .
pepi37 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-14, 13:01   #13
xilman
Bamboozled!

"𒉺𒌌𒇷𒆷𒀭"
May 2003
Down not across

72·11·19 Posts

The responses of some here make me wonder whether the word "romantic" in the thread title is a euphemism for "sexual". I've known people who were in a romantic relationship by the age of five or so. SWMBO claims to have been.

I'll delay answering for myself pending clarification.
xilman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-14, 14:35   #14
23Chaos23

Jun 2016

11 Posts
Default going on to 26 this year and im in the other camp

to say ive been there and done that, got the T-shirt would imply a full wardrobe of shirts. but im not here to brag but rather to raise a perspective from the other side of the fence.

looking back at each relationship (sexual or romantic) i cant say if the were worth it or not but simple experiences of a matter of fact, now that im older and less young and dumb the value of other endeavors are becoming more fulfilling. Although my choices in youth have come at a cost and i must now play catch up to learn and understand the skills and knowledge I now need.

I think the point im trying to make is its a case of the path you walked is yours and you should accept it and be proud either way, wondering if it should have been this or that is a poor use of time. You ultimately did what you did because that was your choice or motivation to do so. Im sure all of you have many things that you did that are unique to you and could have only come about as a result of the path you led.

In reality we all had a relationship with someone from day one, and thats yourself. my self never stuck with anything for to long, and as such i became chaos and thats the person i will love and live with till the day i die...... (or forever if the current trend holds true and i can upload in 25-30 yrs, transhuminism will be awesome)
23Chaos23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-14, 15:14   #15
lycorn

Sep 2002
Oeiras, Portugal

139910 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepi37 View Post
The first rule of life to be learned is to be alone ( but not lonely ) and be happy . When we learn that lesson the rest is far easier , and thus find the other half.
I´m with you on that one.
I felt "satisfied with myself" on my teens and early twenties, although I have never been the "alone" type of bloke. Many friends and some family relations would suit my needs.
So the good thing was I never felt "desperate" to engage in any sort of committed relationship (flirting, dating and the like excepted... ), which contributed to give me a clear head (and heart) when the time came to really fall in love with someone. It came unexpectedly, slowly, but surely. I have had a very happy marriage for several years, with its up and down moments as everything in life, but hey, I don´t complain. I just feel grateful to life. And to the woman that has been sharing it with me...
lycorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-14, 19:45   #16
The Carnivore

Jun 2010

22×47 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyzzy View Post
Perhaps there is an inverse relationship between a person's education level and the number of offspring they have?
This is mostly true:
http://www.un.org/press/en/2011/pop994.doc.htm
https://novaworkboard.wordpress.com/...and-fertility/
https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/mvsr/supp/mv45_10s.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian-E View Post
I met my other half (who is also a forum member here) and have lived with him for 30 years.
!!!

Wow, that's surprising. I wonder if anyone else here is married to or lives with another forum member.
The Carnivore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-14, 20:27   #17
pepi37

Dec 2011
After milion nines:)

101001111012 Posts

Obviously, I need last "the worst relationship" I can remember to learn something .
Some life lessons. And I think, I can say that I learn.
That was process in few phases, and take whole 1.5 years, but if I learn then it is not wasted time.
Now I have on my face, I can look her eyes , and still my heart is not in pain.Life goes on, and I am :)

Last fiddled with by pepi37 on 2016-06-14 at 20:29
pepi37 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-14, 22:32   #18
TObject

Feb 2012

34×5 Posts
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Carnivore View Post
I wonder if anyone else here is married to or lives with another forum member.
Yes, I am MooMoo2’s mother.

Do not trust his post, he is pulling your chain and trolling for responses. He is in his room right now with two college girls. Says he is tutoring them in Linear Algebra… Algebra my arse! He could never tell the difference between vector spaces and linear mappings. I know what kind of “tutoring” they are doing there.
TObject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-15, 00:20   #19
Xyzzy

"Mike"
Aug 2002

23·312 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Carnivore View Post
…or lives with another forum member.
User "jvang" is the feral teenager that lives with us.

Xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-15, 04:28   #20
MooMoo2

Aug 2010

22×3×47 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian-E View Post
But I find your individual outlook on this matter very positive, MooMoo2. The most important thing to keep in mind is that we are all different, and what suits one person will not suit others. That is why the universal blueprint for life (get married, have children, always stay faithful to your spouse) which pretty much every young person gets pressurised to adopt, can be so damaging.
Agreed. A 31 year old friend of mine (in a relationship) is often asked "Why aren't you married yet?" by his relatives. His 30 year old sister (not in a relationship at the moment) was told by the same relatives to "Go find someone". It does get quite tiresome at times.

Quote:
Some people, probably more than has been assumed up until recently, are asexual. That's not necessarily the same thing as not wanting a committed relationship, but it's another example of how dating and then getting married to someone will not suit everyone.
That might be me. I was once asked which I'd rather have - free, unlimited, and lifetime use of any brothel in the world, or a computer. My response:

What are the computer's specs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TObject View Post
Yes, I am MooMoo2’s mother.

Do not trust his post, he is pulling your chain and trolling for responses. He is in his room right now with two college girls. Says he is tutoring them in Linear Algebra… Algebra my arse! He could never tell the difference between vector spaces and linear mappings. I know what kind of “tutoring” they are doing there.
False; I don't think there are any female forum members with a post count that high. You're partially right about the linear algebra stuff, though. At one time, I did know the difference between vector spaces and linear mappings, but without Googling, I only have a vague understanding of those topics now.
MooMoo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-15, 07:27   #21
Nick

Dec 2012
The Netherlands

22·359 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooMoo2 View Post
At one time, I did know the difference between vector spaces and linear mappings, but without Googling, I only have a vague understanding of those topics now.
Linear algebra is not a particularly romantic part of mathematics.
Algebra itself tends to arouse more emotion, though not always positively.
As the students at Warwick University put it in a revision guide for their peers:
Quote:
This revision guide is for MA249 Algebra II... Even if algebra is not your thing you might grow to like it (in the same way a hostage might grow to like his kidnapper).
Nick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-15, 14:16   #22
Xyzzy

"Mike"
Aug 2002

23×312 Posts

An engineering student is walking along when a fellow student arrives on a new bicycle. Impressed, he asks, "Where did you got this beautiful bicycle?" "Well," the second engineering student says, "A couple of days ago I was just walking along when this georgeous blonde pulls up, hops off the bike, rips off all her clothes, and says 'take what you want'." The other engineering student nods and says "Good choice. The clothes probably wouldn't have fit."
Xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote