mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Fun Stuff > Lounge

Old 2020-07-25, 21:29   #1585
rogue

"Mark"
Apr 2003
Between here and the

3·1,973 Posts

We have learned the hard way that one cannot put latex paint on a deck that has previously been stained. My wife didn't like the red stain used on our deck, so after asking a contractor friend, he suggested latex paint. Bad idea. Due to the stain the paint did not adhere to many areas on the deck so it started to peel the next summer. After a few summers of our deck looking worse and worse, we decided to redo it. Now we have the fun of trying to remove the latex paint that did adhere. After trying a random orbital sander, we realized that it would take many days and tons of sand paper to remove the paint. Now we are using a paint remover, which will save time, but doesn't remove all of the paint. We've only completed that on about 20% of the deck, so sanding and staining are still in our future for it.

A little research shows that most contractors say "don't do it" when asking about using latex paint on a deck, although they certainly don't mind quoting you a price to replace your deck as it typically costs less to replace your deck than removing the paint or stain due to the significant amount of labor involved.

Our alternative is to do just that, but in doing so we would have to get permits from the city as building codes have changed and they require new 6x6 supports instead of the 4x4 supports.

This all started when we discovered dry-rot on the railing and facia. We tried to find a contractor to replace it, but it isn't a big enough job for anyone to work on, so we have to do it ourselves. Unfortunately my wife wants a different style of railing and that leads to another issue as the footings for the stairs are not in the right place for the railing she wants. This will require us to pour concrete, but that assumes that the stairs themselves can be salvaged. They will have to be removed in order to replace the dry-rotted facia. If we have to pull any permits, then the stairs might need to be replaced because they are not to current code. Ugh!

I"m somewhat at the point of paying someone to replace our deck because there are far too many ways for this to go wrong if we continue doing it ourselves.
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-07-25, 22:07   #1586
ewmayer
2ω=0

Sep 2002
República de California

2·13·443 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xilman View Post
This afternoon I added a plastic bottle to the swing-bin, pushing it down firmly to compact the contents so the lid would close.
Illustrating once again the truth of the saying "no good deed goes unpunished."

DrS's followup war-wound tale reminds me of once in my teen years, probably around the same time (1977), I was doing the family dishes, had slid my right hand with scrub-sponge all the way down to bottom of a tall drinking glass whose neck was a just a wee bit narrower than its middle in order to get at the bottom, when pulling hand back out the small pressure shattered the aformention drinking rim, ended up with a neat and deep 1" slice on back of right hand, trip to ER, 3 stitches, no big deal in retrospect because back of hand not as sensitive or needed for stuff as palm side. I know, because a few years later, I was attempting to pull off the lid of a steel can I'd just opened, leaving a tiny bridge of metal so the lid wouldn't fall in, somehow instead of the proper twist-the-lid-so-as-to-corkscrew-the-remaining-attachment-until-it-snaps method which keeps fingers away from the sharp lid edges, I did something which caused my thumb to slip along the lid edge, slicing neatly - and very deeply - across the skin of the thumbprint. (I still mentally wince just thinking about it). The worst part was not the immediate pain and gusher of blood, nor the ER-stitch-up, it was that when the novocaine injected by the ER doctor wore off a few hours later, an intense throbbing pain set in, which did not let up for 3 full days and nights. This was decades before popping opioid painkillers became a kind of national pastime, physicians back then didn't even think about sending one home with a topical numbing agent.

Last fiddled with by ewmayer on 2020-07-25 at 22:08
ewmayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-08-11, 22:26   #1587
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

2×4,657 Posts
Default I'm very slightly lighter today.

It can be argued I'm not terribly bright...

For a week I couldn't figure out why I constantly had an intense headache.

Yesterday I figured it out. I'd cracked a tooth in half (probably by grinding them in my sleep and/or during meetings).

My dentist said there was nothing that could be done to save the tooth, and so it was extracted.

Ouch... (But, at the same time, I no longer have shooting pain across my jaw, up to my temple, and then into my skull.)
chalsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-08-12, 00:44   #1588
Xyzzy

"Mike"
Aug 2002

2·3·5·257 Posts

We cracked a molar a while ago. It was incredibly painful. It had to be extracted but we were a day's driving distance from our dentist so we had to just deal with it as best as we could.

We still miss that tooth.

Xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-08-12, 02:35   #1589
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

23·32·139 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyzzy View Post
We cracked a molar a while ago. It was incredibly painful. It had to be extracted but we were a day's driving distance from our dentist so we had to just deal with it as best as we could.

We still miss that tooth.

You have my profound sympathy. I am missing my upper right 1st premolar.
kladner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-08-12, 20:48   #1590
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

2·4,657 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyzzy View Post
We cracked a molar a while ago. It was incredibly painful. It had to be extracted but we were a day's driving distance from our dentist so we had to just deal with it as best as we could. We still miss that tooth.
Yup. For me, it was the middle-lower right molar.

I didn't have to drive as far, but I did have to drive half-way across the country four times. And, ~30 hours between self-diagnosis and treatment.

Deep meditation. (Medication came later.)

I was once again very proud of Barbados. Every member of staff was in full PPE. Patients were in masks except while receiving treatment.
Old 2020-08-12, 20:54   #1591
xilman
Bamboozled!

"𒉺𒌌𒇷𒆷𒀭"
May 2003
Down not across

101000000110012 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kladner View Post
You have my profound sympathy. I am missing my upper right 1st premolar.
The tooth, the whole tooth, and nothing but the tooth?
xilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-08-13, 02:29   #1592
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

100100011000102 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalsall View Post
Just to share, I do take a small amount of amusement by saying things that few others dare to do.

To put on the table, the "strong drug" prescribed by my dentist was "Cataflam".

Even though we're a "developing nation", Barbados doesn't suffer from an "Opioid Epidemic".

We're smarter than to be trapped by an artificial economy of addition.
Old 2020-08-13, 02:35   #1593
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

2·1,741 Posts

Quote:
Yup. For me, it was the middle-lower right molar.
<snip>
<snip>
So, during the interim, you were able to transcend dental medication.
Dr Sardonicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-08-13, 02:38   #1594
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

221428 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Sardonicus View Post
So, during the interim, you were able to transcend dental medication.
Yes. My dentist said he didn't understand how I could possibly work in that much pain.

"You put the pain into a box; into a room. Take it out when you need to; examine it in detail. Then, get back to work.
Old 2020-08-13, 05:17   #1595
axn

Jun 2003

10010010110102 Posts

Quote:
artificial economy of addition.
... as opposed to natural economy of multiplication ?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Sardonicus View Post
transcend dental medication.
axn is offline   Reply With Quote