Old 2019-09-24, 00:20   #3708
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

271816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomead View Post
Bicycling on what looks like an expressway? Is this normally allowed? There are signs here in Chicago at the approaches to expressways listing forbidden vehicles, including bicycles, mopeds, pedestrians, and scooters. There are also minimum speed postings which a cyclist is unlikely to maintain. Any contraption that can't do a steady 70-80 kph doesn't belong there.
kladner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-09-24, 03:23   #3709
retina
Undefined

"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

574110 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kladner View Post
Bicycling on what looks like an expressway? Is this normally allowed?
I don't know about that particular place in the vid, but there are many places where bicycling is allowed in similar situations. Sometimes there are no alternative routes so all traffic is permitted. Usually there are side lanes for low speed traffic, but not always.

As for that vid, both the cyclists and the lorry driver can share the blame IMO. Passing on the inside is not permitted in almost all countries so the lorry driver is to blame for that. Also the cyclist should have better situational awareness. One doesn't just stick their arm and magically the lane will be free for them to move into. They have to make sure there are no hazards before moving.
retina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-09-29, 15:05   #3710
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

11·317 Posts

Evanston elementary school ‘cancels’ Halloween
Quote:
The heart behind the decision, according to a statement from Michelle Cooney, Lincoln’s school principal, was to honor the school’s value of equity and to be inclusive of all students within the community, particularly those who do not celebrate the holiday.

“As part of our school and district-wide commitment to equity, we are focused on building community and creating inclusive, welcoming environments for all,” said Cooney in a statement via e-mail. “While we recognize that Halloween is a fun tradition for many families, it is not a holiday that is celebrated by all members of our school community and for various reasons. There are also inequities in how we have traditionally observed the holiday as part of our school day. Our goal at Lincoln is to provide space and opportunities for all students to be part of the community — not to create an environment that may feel exclusive or unwelcoming to any child.”
Dr Sardonicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-09-30, 14:30   #3711
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

23·32·139 Posts

I generally approve of this decision. There are religious elements in the basis of this day. I understand the attachment that kids have to it, as I had early on. However, like so many other festivals (Mothers' Day, Easter, Thanksgiving, Christmas, to name a few,) Halloween is now primarily a commercial feeding frenzy.
Old 2019-09-30, 14:52   #3712
retina
Undefined

"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

5,741 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kladner View Post
I generally approve of this decision. There are religious elements in the basis of this day. I understand the attachment that kids have to it, as I had early on. However, like so many other festivals (Mothers' Day, Easter, Thanksgiving, Christmas, to name a few,) Halloween is now primarily a commercial feeding frenzy.
Kind of weird that excluding a popular event is seen as being more inclusive.

A democracy (which is what the USA advertises as being one of its primary "features") doesn't just follow only the things that the majority does. It is supposed to support all the things, no matter how small the following might be. That is real inclusivity. If some individual doesn't play along with the Halloween thing then so-be-it, their choice. Just the same as Ramadan, or Christmas, or Songklan, or whatever. Not everyone will play along. But that is no reason to ignore all of those events and claim it is excluding people because some don't follow it.

I remember some Australians telling me that they felt guilty celebrating Christmas because the Muslims might get upset. I thought "WTF is wrong with you?" Do they get upset when the Chinese celebrate CNY? Of course not. It is just silly IMO that they feel one can't celebrate something because they think someone else is getting upset, or feeling excluded.

So I say go ahead the celebrate whatever you want. No problem for me. If I want to ignore it then I will. Just as long as everyone else lets me celebrate what I like, and they can ignore me if they want to also.

[/rant]

Last fiddled with by retina on 2019-09-30 at 14:52
retina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-09-30, 19:08   #3713
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

1101100111112 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retina View Post
<snip quote>
Kind of weird that excluding a popular event is seen as being more inclusive.
<snip>
Precisely why I posted it to this thread!
Old 2019-10-01, 02:33   #3714
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

271816 Posts

@retina

You speak with reason, your Evility. I have to agree with you, too. Feelings can be bipolar. Mine are no exception.

Last fiddled with by kladner on 2019-10-01 at 02:34 Reason: direction
Old 2019-10-01, 19:21   #3715
jasong

"Jason Goatcher"
Mar 2005

5×701 Posts
Default Google decides that it DOES, actually, want to be evil.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBPXe09Ca-s
jasong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-10-03, 00:31   #3716
Xyzzy

"Mike"
Aug 2002

2×3×5×257 Posts

http://ajennings.net/blog/a-million-...avascript.html
Xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-10-03, 13:47   #3717
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

11·317 Posts
Default More on school that "canceled" Halloween

Grown-ups who kill Halloween get no candy, they get the Golden Moutza
Old 2019-10-07, 13:52   #3718
kriesel

"TF79LL86GIMPS96gpu17"
Mar 2017
US midwest

116716 Posts
Default Lassie gets a touch to speech or text app

"My owner has an emergency. Please follow me" voice playback to bystanders

For deaf owners: "Doorbell ringing" or "Tornado siren" text.

https://www.wired.com/story/the-tech...e-with-humans/

Last fiddled with by Uncwilly on 2019-10-08 at 01:21 Reason: Removed all of the referrer garbage on end of link.
kriesel is online now   Reply With Quote