Old 2009-05-08, 06:17   #23
henryzz
Just call me Henry

"David"
Sep 2007
Cambridge (GMT/BST)

2×2,861 Posts

the fact*.pl scripts by default sieve further i think
if for some reason it is sieving the same range again change factmsieve.pl to sieve on the rational side and try again
henryzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-11, 04:10   #24
jasonp
Tribal Bullet

Oct 2004

3,529 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by schickel View Post
I wonder if he's in the same position as last time....just a tiny bit under the required number of realtions. My older c112 jobs, all done completely with GGNFS and the factlat.pl script, required between 7 and 8 million relations.
I suspect you're right, I was looking at the results from the merge and they are superficially similar to what you see when there's a lot of oversieving. But if you have almost enough relations I can see a threshold phenomenon where deleting a few relations during the merge causes a cascade of deletions that destroys most of the matrix.
jasonp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-11, 04:56   #25
hhh

Jun 2005

1011101012 Posts

I have got yet another c99 with this problem, and will actively try to figure it out once I find the time. Won`t happen soon though, perhaps in a week or so. Until then, please don`t use too many brain cells on this problem. I am already grateful for all your support. Cheers, H.
hhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-14, 13:03   #26
hhh

Jun 2005

373 Posts

OK, I managed to finish both the stuck c99 and c112, and I have a theory about what was going wrong.

First, my girlfriend shut down the computer/closed the window/whatever during some filtering run. As the process was killed in action, the files spairs.out, something.add and so on failed to get deleted, and the jobfiles remained untouched. I restarted aliqueit, and sieving was carried out once again on the same spot, resulting in loads of duplicates. For some reason, msieve didn't like to be fed with the same stuff over and over, and threw up by dint of the merge attempts error. After this, the perlscript still didn't clean up all the mess, which I had to do manually. So, I deleted

-spairs.out which was huge
-*.add (forgot the name)
- the job.T1 and job.T2 files

and adjusted the job file to some higher range. From now, everything went fine. Yet, I don't know if the new, last sieving run was indeed necessary or if a minuscule chunk would have been enough to put things in order again.

Thanks for your help again, pals, I will just post the logfiles (with annotations inside), so you can confirm of reject my theory... I wonder if something can be easily implemented into the perlscript or aliqueit in order to go around this kind of annoying behaviour.

H.
Attached Files
File Type: txt c99failureandsuccess.txt (58.9 KB, 52 views)
Old 2009-05-14, 13:04   #27
hhh

Jun 2005

373 Posts

Attached Files
File Type: txt c112failureandsuccess.txt (81.0 KB, 62 views)
Old 2009-05-14, 15:29   #28
mklasson

Feb 2004

2×3×43 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhh View Post
I wonder if something can be easily implemented into the perlscript or aliqueit in order to go around this kind of annoying behaviour.
I recall someone (you?) asking me to fix resuming partial ggnfs sieving in aliqueit earlier, and I must confess I've been annoyed by it as well. I think someone even posted the exact details of what needs to be done to fix it, so maybe I can include that in an upcoming release.
mklasson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-14, 19:54   #29
Andi47

Oct 2004
Austria

2×17×73 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mklasson View Post
I recall someone (you?) asking me to fix resuming partial ggnfs sieving in aliqueit earlier, and I must confess I've been annoyed by it as well. I think someone even posted the exact details of what needs to be done to fix it, so maybe I can include that in an upcoming release.
This might have been me, who has asked - and if I remember correctly, the answer has been posted to the aliqueit.exe discussion thread.
Andi47 is offline   Reply With Quote