mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Factoring Projects > Aliquot Sequences

Old 2009-04-28, 07:10   #1
hhh

Jun 2005

17516 Posts
Default Too many merge attempts etc.

Dear friends,

the "too many merge attempts"-error showed up at some c104 of mine. I tried to fiddle aroud a bit, with the sole success to replace it by some "the matrix must have more coloums than rows" (or vice versa) error. Here are my options, I guess:

- I upload thezipped folder to some volunteer who does the postprocessing for me
- You help me to get out of this mess
- I restart sieving, with perhaps slightly different parameters
- Somebody else does this number from scratch.

This is the order of my preference, also. You decide, though.

Cheers, H.
hhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-28, 07:16   #2
schickel

"Frank <^>"
Dec 2004
CDP Janesville

2·1,061 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhh View Post
Dear friends,

the "too many merge attempts"-error showed up at some c104 of mine. I tried to fiddle aroud a bit, with the sole success to replace it by some "the matrix must have more coloums than rows" (or vice versa) error. Here are my options, I guess:

- I upload thezipped folder to some volunteer who does the postprocessing for me
- You help me to get out of this mess
- I restart sieving, with perhaps slightly different parameters
- Somebody else does this number from scratch.

This is the order of my preference, also. You decide, though.

Cheers, H.
I'd be willing to take a stab at it no one else does. I've got one more day at work, so I couldn't really concentrate on it until Wednesday....
schickel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-28, 07:39   #3
hhh

Jun 2005

373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by schickel View Post
I'd be willing to take a stab at it no one else does. I've got one more day at work, so I couldn't really concentrate on it until Wednesday....
You can give me some of your work in exchange... and I'd need some link for the upload. H.
Old 2009-04-28, 07:57   #4
schickel

"Frank <^>"
Dec 2004
CDP Janesville

2×1,061 Posts

Quote:
You can give me some of your work in exchange... and I'd need some link for the upload. H.
How big is the dataset? I don't have anything set up right now, but I could put an FTP server on one of my big rigs.....
Old 2009-04-28, 09:58   #5
schickel

"Frank <^>"
Dec 2004
CDP Janesville

1000010010102 Posts

Quote:
PM sent.
Old 2009-04-28, 14:33   #6
mdettweiler
A Sunny Moo

Aug 2007
USA (GMT-5)

3×2,083 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by schickel View Post
How big is the dataset? I don't have anything set up right now, but I could put an FTP server on one of my big rigs.....
If you guys want, you can use the FTP server that I set up a while back for the team sieves. (Instructions for uploading can be found in the latest team sieve thread; the only difference is that it would probably be better to plop the files in the root directory of the FTP server rather than in the /c136-relations folder to avoid confusion with the team sieve files.)
mdettweiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-28, 18:14   #7
schickel

"Frank <^>"
Dec 2004
CDP Janesville

1000010010102 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdettweiler View Post
If you guys want, you can use the FTP server that I set up a while back for the team sieves. (Instructions for uploading can be found in the latest team sieve thread; the only difference is that it would probably be better to plop the files in the root directory of the FTP server rather than in the /c136-relations folder to avoid confusion with the team sieve files.)
Thanks for the offer, but if we can get a direct FTP to my side working, then we only have to transfer everything once....no sense wasting more electrons than needed.
Old 2009-04-28, 18:41   #8
henryzz
Just call me Henry

"David"
Sep 2007
Cambridge (GMT/BST)

2·2,861 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batalov View Post
As the number of collected relations grows, there are four "zones":
1) far too few relations; then -nc1 doesn't produce cycles and asks for more relns => Sieve some more;
2) (rarely visited; you are here!) almost enough relations; -nc1 makes cycles, -nc2 builds a matrix, cleans it up and then the matrix is not useable => Sieve some more;
3) convergent zone; here's some freedom of choice: with more relns, the matrix gets better and better, but it is well established that you generally do not save any overall time anymore => Build the matrix and do -nc2, -nc3
4) far too many relations => trim free relations from the end of .dat file (these are short lines), then trim some more, goto zone 3). But not too much or you will end up in zones 1-2)
does this help?

Last fiddled with by henryzz on 2009-04-28 at 19:29
henryzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-28, 19:25   #9
Batalov

"Serge"
Mar 2008
Phi(4,2^7658614+1)/2

2·33·132 Posts

You are likely in zone 4. So you want to trim, but not too much ...as per the above spell.
Batalov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-29, 06:50   #10
hhh

Jun 2005

373 Posts

Everything submitted (I hope). Many thanks for the help, Frank!

Thank's for the advices; that's what I thought, only that I didn't really know what to do. As for how I got there, I have no idea, because I started filtering in zone 1, and added sieving according to the standard parameters.

Anyway, soon this problem will be solved, I hope.

H.
Old 2009-04-29, 08:01   #11
schickel

"Frank <^>"
Dec 2004
CDP Janesville

41128 Posts

Quote:
Everything submitted (I hope). Many thanks for the help, Frank!

Thank's for the advices; that's what I thought, only that I didn't really know what to do. As for how I got there, I have no idea, because I started filtering in zone 1, and added sieving according to the standard parameters.

Anyway, soon this problem will be solved, I hope.

H.
Yes, I've got everything. I'll take a look at it, but I can't promise intense study until tomorrow AM.....